Rosse_modest
+76|6791|Antwerp, Flanders
I bought myself a notebook this friday, which of course has one of those "nifty wireless network" antennas installed. Got home, plugged it in, switched it on and when Win had fired up I immediately got this "wireless network found" message. Not secured.

So for the past 2 days I've been connecting to some1 else's non-secured wireless internet connection (mainly to update the virus definitions of the anti-virus I installed on the notebook) because I'm too lazy to crawl on my knees to pull the network cable out of this pc to plug it into my laptop.

I've just switched off my notebook, and suddenly my conscience starts acting up a bit... What do you guys think? Should I continue exploiting some neighbour's internet connection?
supa_fly52
Save a Mouse, Eat a Pussy
+8|6770|Gold Coast, Australia
Unless he is on a pay per mb plan, then you shouldnt feel very guilty. or you could just ask him if you could and make a deal saying, you pay for 10-50% of his internet bill.

Last edited by supa_fly52 (2006-02-12 02:14:40)

MAJ-DMK-
+1|6676
if its invading your home, your personal living space, then its all yours.... besides if the person seriouly wants it to him or herself then they should password protect it.
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6840|Netherlands

supa_fly52 wrote:

Unless he is on a pay per mb plan, then you shouldnt feel very guilty. or you could just ask him if you could and make a deal saying, you pay for 10-50% of his internet bill.
mmm

when get cought...

another story..me thinks..

no choice then!

think ur nuts anyway.
supa_fly52
Save a Mouse, Eat a Pussy
+8|6770|Gold Coast, Australia
or you could just not tell him
Rosse_modest

supa_fly52 wrote:

I'm not aware of any internet providers here that offer  a pay per mb plan, the ones I know of (and there aren't too many providers here - only 3 or 4, and 90% of all people are customers of only 2 of em) all just have a max upstream and downstream volume per 30 days - or something like it.
The only people I know of who've been able to exceed this max volume are people who continually download pirated software/movies/music...

Besides, I don't even know which neighbour it is...

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2006-02-12 02:29:48)

misfire00
Lead Magnet
+26|6796|Charleston SC - USA
It's there laziness for not securing it. Have at it. I have no sympathy for private homes or business’s that broadcast a wireless signal.

2 words—secure it
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6840|Netherlands

misfire00 wrote:

It's there laziness for not securing it. Have at it. I have no sympathy for private homes or business’s that broadcast a wireless signal.

2 words—secure it
okay;

then start dialogue and inform him about it and help him set a password...;-P
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6715
but then he wouldnt be able to use his network anymore. I say use it all you want, because they'll never know. And if they do find out they'll probably get a bit smarter about network security.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6731
imho dont send important e-mails coz he can see whats comming in and out of the network and he could steal all ur e-mails
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
=11th.cav=Lee
+1|6687|Waddinxveen, The Netherlands

Rosse_modest wrote:

I've just switched off my notebook, and suddenly my conscience starts acting up a bit... What do you guys think? Should I continue exploiting some neighbour's internet connection?
It's not your fault they left their connection unsecured.

p.s. here in the netherlands we have the whole country mapped and checked for open connections, using network stumbler. wireless and gps combination utility.
There is even a page with this info but in cant rember the correct URL.
Rosse_modest
Talked to a friend, says where she lives there's a whole load of wireless networks around, but they're all secure.
What's the average range of one of those transceivers?
KtotheIMMY
+513|6778
The apartment complexes and Army barracks around here are full of unsecured wireless connections. I use them whenever my internet goes down..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard