Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

In due time.   

Better end game results from long term gains and compounding.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
yeah, 800 years' of idiots and trust fund babies

i hope you realize college has only become a vocational training scheme predominantly over the last 20-30 years.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Ilocano wrote:

In due time.   

is that a veiled and pretentious way of saying that in 4 generations' time you'll finally have an asian great-great-grandson who can take a literature degree?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-24 13:00:54)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i hope you realize college has only become a vocational training scheme predominantly over the last 20-30 years.
And before then universities were exclusively the domain of the aristocracy. ie trust fund babies.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

Ilocano wrote:

Just to discredit you though.   I've constantly been  complemented on my photographic eye and composition skills.  From people I don't even know.   Even pro photographers stealing my shots.
this means nothing without said shots
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

In due time.   

is that a veiled and pretentious way of saying that in 4 generations' time you'll finally have an asian great-great-grandson who can take a literature degree?
not 100% so,  but
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
ilocano has some patrick bateman style ambitions for his kids.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DrunkFace wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

And before then universities were exclusively the domain of the aristocracy. ie trust fund babies.
i think you should probably read a history book.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
drunk face didn't go to university so he tries to put down everyone who did. it's the equivalent of insecure STEM majors calling humanities degrees worthless.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-04-24 13:24:14)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i don't think it's bullshittery to dupe a critic into praising a "fake artist". i think it's just a dupe. it's doesn't invalidate taste or discerning of good work. that's a completely specious and silly hoax. it's the sort of bullshit a science-type would delight in because "it's all bullshit", simply because there are no empirical yes/no, right/wrong, good/bad distinctions in art. "bullshittery"... i'm exasperated by this term. keep on engineering.
But it's not good work. There's numerous examples of critics going along with hoaxes just to seem like they know what they're talking about. See: Han van Meegereen, Pierre Brassau, Pavel Jerdanowitch. I can appreciate beauty as I see it, but I'm not going to be sold by the smart-ass 8th-grader excuse that a blank canvas signifies the emptiness of life and is really deep in symbolism.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i don't blame you, because that is 8th grade. well done.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

13/f/taiwan wrote:

drunk face didn't go to university so he tries to put down everyone who did. it's the equivalent of insecure STEM majors calling humanities degrees worthless.
k
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
do you think university degrees are worth the time/money drunk?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DrunkFace wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

k
diddums. let me know when you've read that history book. do plebs read?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

13/f/taiwan wrote:

That all depends on the degree, how much it costs and the opportunity cost of how long it takes to complete.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
bachelors(4 years), around $40,000 in debt, engineering or philosophy degree.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

$40,000 isn't a lot of money over a lifetime. It is not uncommon in this state for people to make 3 times that in a year.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DrunkFace wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

That all depends on the degree, how much it costs and the opportunity cost of how long it takes to complete.
money money money. will you ever not be so plebeian.

it is generally acknowledged that all university graduates earn more over the course of a lifetime than non-graduates. same with masters/postgrad. it does scale.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-24 14:00:46)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Uzi does need to go spend some time slumming with the hoi polloi, though. I doubt "most" people would say they're in college to become intellectually well-rounded.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i think america especially has an issue with college being seen as an individualistic path to 'the american dream', that slice of the pie. in europe, where universities are several centuries old and in most countries are free, they are an opportunity to intellectually branch out and study something genuine. they are not so closely tied to the job market (most european states have historically had a separate institution of technical schools/colleges that prepare vocational students). universities are academic centres. they are for learning and for research. the whole pragmatic reduction of a university to somewhere to 'boost my income' is a very american vulgarization. and it wasn't even that way in the states before ww2.

i have no shame about belonging to a class or social group who see university in its original, historical function. who still value education as something high-minded, lofty, ambitious, idealistic. seems like a better social universe to belong to than the money-obsessed and career stressed.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Not all degrees and levels.   Can't speak for the UK but here experienced  craftsmen and builders make more than most Bachelor holders.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Ilocano wrote:

Not all degrees and levels.   Can't speak for the UK but here experienced  craftsmen and builders make more than most Bachelor holders.
i think the implicit disclaimer with any broad generalization like that is "on average".

plus you have to factor in the fact someone who has been to university has a certain social/cultural capital that a builder does not. there is, again, more to life than how much you make. a university-educated person, even if they went only to 'get a better job', still has the cultural and intellectual experience of university. a typical student will use their time at university to branch out into many societies, teams, hobbies, cultural interests etc. they will, at the most simple level, be 'more educated' than a builder.

the fact some craftsmen make a lot of money clearly doesn't palliate them, because people like drunkface still come here to shit on university students.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i think america especially has an issue with college being seen as an individualistic path to 'the american dream', that slice of the pie. in europe, where universities are several centuries old and in most countries are free, they are an opportunity to intellectually branch out and study something genuine. they are not so closely tied to the job market (most european states have historically had a separate institution of technical schools/colleges that prepare vocational students). universities are academic centres. they are for learning and for research. the whole pragmatic reduction of a university to somewhere to 'boost my income' is a very american vulgarization. and it wasn't even that way in the states before ww2.

i have no shame about belonging to a class or social group who see university in its original, historical function. who still value education as something high-minded, lofty, ambitious, idealistic. seems like a better social universe to belong to than the money-obsessed and career stressed.
A sheep herder from the Highlands could be given the same educational opportunity as you of he were a literary savant?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

A sheep herder from the Highlands could be given the same educational opportunity as you of he were a literary savant?
i don't really know what that means. i made all of my 'educational opportunity' through personal ability. i won performance-based scholarships. you're acting like i had my education because i was born into a lifestyle where it is given on a silver plate. i find that a little insulting.

and i really don't even know what point you're trying to make. sure, he could. what does that have to do with anything? i'm very confused why you even mention this.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

So even if he lacked the social status your circle would accept him into your fold as an equal if he was of adequate literary skill?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard