unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Cut down their trees to get at the unobtanium, of course.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

kinda glad this page is finally getting some serious flak for rarely citing its sources - http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/com … e-artists/
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
the whole 'science is so cool' internet phenomenon is fucking lame, anyway. the circlejerks you see on social media and sites like reddit over people like that black scientist dude are fucking ridiculous. honestly nothing attests to the whole 'church of atheism' type bullshit like a bunch of science-illiterate computer nerds orgasming over some dumb facebook re-share.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i know, ive really never understood the neil degrasse tyson obsession.  these pages and fawning over random public figures in science is usually - as you said - the science-illiterate.  im not a 'fan' of the page myself, but i find any reshare is just some colourized photo of the universe that looks pretty. b-o-r-i-n-g.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

Winston_Churchill wrote:

i know, ive really never understood the neil degrasse tyson obsession.  these pages and fawning over random public figures in science is usually - as you said - the science-illiterate.  im not a 'fan' of the page myself, but i find any reshare is just some colourized photo of the universe that looks pretty. b-o-r-i-n-g.
Dear god yes. A lot of the the things I see reposted from that page are retarded "jokes" or those colorized nebula pictures that people will share because "pretty colors and i can look like i'm interested in astrophysics". But I guarantee these are the same people who will complain "when am I going to use this" if they're taught it in a classroom or reading it in some sort of academic sense.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
they fucking love science but hate all the math involved. trifling bitches
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Bunch of science snobs here.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
it is not snobbery to insist that someone who professes to have 'enthusiasm' for a subject actually engage with it. it is one of the worst things about our contemporary, technologised age: intellectual tokenism. people think that by reading a wikipedia article and watching a few youtube videos they are 'educated' and hence 'interested' in a topic. it is totally demeaning to the topic and its full intellectual importance/achievement. people who spend their days sharing science photos on facebook are more than free to engage with the subject if they do so wish. in fact, for many people, it has just become a new 'fashion' and a new signifier of cool-inclusivity; the "look at me, i'm into science!" parade. it's no different from people who sit on public transport with a very conspicuous copy of a dickens book in their hands (this happens so much on london transport it's untrue). it's just superficial engagement, and nothing more. and that is a symptom of an attention- and effort- starved economy in our modern age.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

There's nothing wrong with seeing if you're interested in a subject by going through wikipedia and youtube, but if you don't follow up on it and still claim an interest, then you're either not being sincere or are just a lazy student.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

What's wrong with just liking something?

I like Impressionist art but I'm not gong to take the time to learn the technique.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Ilocano wrote:

I like Impressionist art but I'm not gong to take the time to learn the technique.
But you could bother to read up on it a bit more than basic wiki scans and familiarize yourself with the artists and its history if you're going to say you have something beyond a passing interest in it.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Yes artist and history.   But I'm not going to train my hands and eyes to even produce a marginally good painting.

In science know the basic theories and notable scientist,  but I'm not going to learn even the formulae.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

That separates the science "spectator" from the amateur scientist. Eventually you're going to have to get into the meat of it if you want to continue claiming an honest interest. Unless you want to be that guy who watched baseball for forty years but doesn't know what an RBI is.

e: I think the point was originally more irritation at people who use "YEAH SCIENCE" as a bludgeon against belief structures without really knowing what they're talking about.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

A fan or being able to throw a ball at 80mph.  Why bother knowing the rules if you can't hit a home run.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That separates the science "spectator" from the amateur scientist. Eventually you're going to have to get into the meat of it if you want to continue claiming an honest interest. Unless you want to be that guy who watched baseball for forty years but doesn't know what an RBI is.

e: I think the point was originally more irritation at people who use "YEAH SCIENCE" as a bludgeon against belief structures without really knowing what they're talking about.
Well yeah its science.   Works for me.   because it is.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Ilocano wrote:

A fan or being able to throw a ball at 80mph.  Why bother knowing the rules if you can't hit a home run.
I'd compare it more to a claimed avid baseball fan that doesn't know the rules at all.  Most people re-post pretty pictures of colourized nebulae saying WOW ISNT SCIENCE GREAT without knowing what a nebula even is.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I'd compare it more to a claimed avid baseball fan that doesn't know the rules at all.  Most people re-post pretty pictures of colourized nebulae saying WOW ISNT SCIENCE GREAT without knowing what a nebula even is.
You can hide from Klingons in the nebula.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

What's even funnier is that those pictures are in pretty colours are more often than not touched up or an artist's impression of what it might look like.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

colourized
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

It is so weird seeing "ize" affixed to "colour." You Canadians are weird.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

its kind of an anything goes usually for us.  on an essay colourize, colorize, colourise would likely be accepted. colourize is the only one my spellcheck (English CA) actually likes haha
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Ilocano wrote:

no, you like impressionist art because it's the sort of thing you can namedrop at a dinner-party and wear as a 'culture badge'. do you understand anything about impressionist art? could you tell me about its aesthetics? about its history/ about its practitioners? what does impressionist art signify? why did they choose to paint in the way they did? could you tell me what your favourite impressionist painting communicates - or at least what it means to you, beyond the 'it looks good' superficial reaction?

if not, you don't "like" impressionist art. instead, you have 'acquired' impressionist art as a short-hand signifier of 'culturedness'. and you are just like most middle-class bores out there - philistines, who have contempt for art and subjects of difficulty, but love to talk about them insofar as their sophistication and elegance wear off on you. so tell me: do you take your kids to galleries to see art because you want to nurture an aesthetic sense and artistic knowledge in them, or because it's the 'done thing to do', the social ritual, the elaborate 'show' that you think constitutes being cultured and well-educated in your society?

if the latter (which i sadly suspect it is, by the tone of your resignatory "why can't we just like something?" posts), then you are no different from these sad-acts who re-share science photos all day, in the vain belief the 'intellectual' or 'complex' subject-matter will reflect on their personality. social media profiles are acts of self-curation and (re-)presentation; the individual can make efforts to portray themselves as whomsoever they may wish. no engagement? just sharing because you 'like' it? bullshit. that impulse to 'share' and display your interest in science, if not backed up by actual engagement or enthusiasm, shows the worst sort of vainglorious "look at me! aren't i interesting! i'm intelligent" etc. stuff. especially when you add the additional internet-specific layer of neil degrasse tyson/carl sagan & 'i'm atheist/scientific, i'm in the know' culture.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

They look nice on my desktop wallpaper.   So there. :p

Fuck notions of culture or notions of intellect.   I just like it.   I don't have a stick up my ass that prods me to deride how others like or profess to know because of some need to validate there own place in the world.

Just to discredit you though.   I've constantly been  complemented on my photographic eye and composition skills.  From people I don't even know.   Even pro photographers stealing my shots. 

As for art I do go up close and examine the brush strokes.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

and yes, your "photographic eye" sure does discredit people questioning your taste in impressionism. it's not like impressionism was an overt reaction to photography, is it? lol so ironic. painting != photography. during that period they were often drawn in sharp opposition to one another. good for you that people steal your canon shots. doesn't 'qualify' you as an art aficionado. just another asian with an expensive camera and a 2-cent knowledge of culture.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-24 10:09:00)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5698
"we're all artist in our own special way" -7th grade teacher

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-04-24 10:08:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard