Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
as i said in my very first post, that's all the "social sciences" denotes - studies using the scientific method.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Study using the scientific method does not make a subject a science though, you can study patterns in tea-leaves using the scientific method but thats never going to be a science either.

I've never said there's anything wrong with the pseudo-sciences, just that they don't meet the definition of a science. Much of real-world engineering doesn't really.

As for 'arts', I think it would be more useful to let people play Wow for 3-4 years for all the good which comes out of that part of academia.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Spark wrote:

at first blush, psychology absolutely should be a science - it's about a lack of rigour.
this^. there's just too much of "let's say something out loud and see if the echoes sound like pink floyd" in the methods used by psychology and the likes to consider any of that true science.

Look, if psychology doesn't want to be a science, then cool. But then they should stop saying that it is.
they have the right to remain silent, you know. what they lack is the capacity.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253

Dilbert_X wrote:

Study using the scientific method does not make a subject a science though, you can study patterns in tea-leaves using the scientific method but thats never going to be a science either.

I've never said there's anything wrong with the pseudo-sciences, just that they don't meet the definition of a science. Much of real-world engineering doesn't really.

As for 'arts', I think it would be more useful to let people play Wow for 3-4 years for all the good which comes out of that part of academia.
i can tell you're mad because you're being a silly little boy again. job done for today. let's have round #773 tomorrow. you can humiliate yourself some more then. plenty of opportunity, dear dilbert. life is very long.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert_X wrote:

Study using the scientific method does not make a subject a science though
it kinda does, you know.

you can study patterns in tea-leaves using the scientific method
and, as a result, you'll have perfectly scientifically coherent understanding of patterns in tea-leaves

but thats never going to be an applied science either.
fixed.

there's so much dubious shit in theoretical science that most of it is totally indistinguishable from reading tea-leaves to most of the people. applied sciences are not all there is in the realm of science.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shahter wrote:

and, as a result, you'll have perfectly scientifically coherent understanding of patterns in tea-leaves.
Which still doesn't mean anything.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shahter wrote:

and, as a result, you'll have perfectly scientifically coherent understanding of patterns in tea-leaves.
Which still doesn't mean anything.

Shahter wrote:

there's so much dubious shit in theoretical science that most of it is totally indistinguishable from reading tea-leaves to most of the people. applied sciences are not all there is in the realm of science.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Depends, at the far end of theoretical physics you're right, but most science isn't comparable with sorcery or palmistry.
That most people can't follow it doesn't mean its not a science though.

Psuedo-sciences don't even make it that far, if even the average person can see clearly that they don't meet the most basic tests of rigour, prediction etc.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-12 06:26:27)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
... Science [is] yet another attempt by humans, still grieving the loss of the gods, to establish contact with a “lost ocean of authority.” Science offers a rational splendor that explains everything, a charismatic leader or succession of leaders who are highly visible and beyond criticism, a series of canonical texts which are somehow outside the usual arena of scientific criticism, certain gestures of ideas and rituals of interpretation, and a requirement of total commitment. In return the adherent receives what the religions had once given him more universally: a world view, a hierarchy of importances, and an auguring place where he may find out what to do and think, in short, a total explanation of man. And this totality is obtained not by actually explaining everything, but by an encasement of its activity, a severe and absolute restriction of attention, such that everything that is not explained is not in view.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i just think it's a little misguided to look for mathematical rigour in the study of the human interior. we don't have that consistency.
Mathematical rigour probably the wrong term in hindsight, though I certainly think it could use it.

psychology can use (quasi) scientific methods to try and collect data, observe, test, and make some tentative conclusions about the results. but the human mind is not the same as the observable material universe. it'll be a dark and shady spot in human understanding even when the furthest reaches of the universe have been observed and brought to light.
Yeah, but that doesn't really justify - in my eyes - silly practices like failing to include a control group, failing to produce a falsifiable hypothesis, failing to ensure that the results and theory are testable/repeatable. Just plain sloppy.

should psychology just give up, then? not try? consign itself to freud-like late-19th century philosophizing? of course not. psychology can still be applied in medicinal and pragmatic ways to produce 'results'.
of course not. it should just get better.

it's not an exact science, but then not many things in life are as mechanical as physics or engineering.
Yeah, but you should still be applying reasonable scientific principles at a bare minimum.

you are trying to reduce the world to black and white; or rather, recognizing that impossibility, you'd rather the gray areas of existence got no benefit from your beloved 'scientific method'. what's the point? to what end? nobody is demeaning or thinking less of science qua SCIENCEEEE when they describe psychology as 'scientific'. i really don't see the issue.
They do.

I don't think you get science. Without theoretical science all "applied" sciences have no purpose or direction; without applications any theory has no point (and I'm not meaning "making shit that sells" by applications)

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-12 06:30:57)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
People should get over the idea that science is just pretty statistics, graphs, and maths. It's not. It just happens to work most of the time.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

... Science [is] yet another attempt by humans, still grieving the loss of the gods, to establish contact with a “lost ocean of authority.” Science offers a rational splendor that explains everything, a charismatic leader or succession of leaders who are highly visible and beyond criticism, a series of canonical texts which are somehow outside the usual arena of scientific criticism, certain gestures of ideas and rituals of interpretation, and a requirement of total commitment. In return the adherent receives what the religions had once given him more universally: a world view, a hierarchy of importances, and an auguring place where he may find out what to do and think, in short, a total explanation of man. And this totality is obtained not by actually explaining everything, but by an encasement of its activity, a severe and absolute restriction of attention, such that everything that is not explained is not in view.
If thats what you think about science you really don't have a minimal understanding.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
it's a quotation, so it's obviously not what i think about science. it what someone else thinks. it's obviously taking a huge poetic license. however there is something to be said with science and enlightenment in the general history of ideas - especially in anthropological ways. how science has replaced religion and the old myths with a new set of beliefs and principles. how those are dogmatically received and spouted by ideologues (i.e. you) with little self-awareness. the reason i quoted it was because i thought the part at the end was germane to the discussion. you want to ring-off anything that is not absolute certitude and logical proof as somehow 'pointless' or 'lesser'. or, in the case of arts/humanities, not giving it your blessed attention at all. more the fool you.
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
can't give us a quotation and not tell us who said it, surely?
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
it's not important. it's from an article. not some giant thinker you can wikipedia reference and then try to rebut.
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
who said i was going to rebut it? i just want to know who said it so i have some context.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
the context of science as a latest idea/ideology is rich in seminal texts like 'dialectic of enlightenment', 'the golden bough', 'the origin of consciousness', and althusser's essay "ideology and ideological state apparatuses: notes toward an investigation'". oh and habermas' "science and technology as ideology". you can go and read them for all the 'context' you want. it doesn't make the last sentence i highlighted any more or less meaningful in-itself w/r/t dilbert's dumbfounding attitude.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-12 06:53:21)

Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
I guess the thing is this: from "inside" the science-bubble it can look frustrating when you see what seems to be a lack of rigour - not the mathematical kind, but the "make a prediction that can be tested and proven wrong". Also a lack of, well, accountability, in that theories not matching up to evidence not getting discarded. Hard to take things seriously when such obviously basic steps to ensuring that your theories can be trusted - I mean, it's the scientific method but really on a more basic level it's just opening your theories up to scrutiny. It's not that hard ffs, make it testable and make it reasonable enough so that people can actually prove that it's wrong (which is all you can ever do ofc). Is that so much to ask?

This doesn't apply so much to the humanities ofc which takes a completely different approach (I don't even know if falsifiability even would make that much sense in the context of, say, literature) which I respect but some of the "social" sciences really should be doing better. Just because you're a 'soft' science doesn't mean you can't just say whatever the fuck you please, which is what avoiding some of those basic requirements entails.

This applies especially in the case of psychology and economics.

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-12 07:03:06)

~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
i agree that historically there have been meeting places between scientific methods - statistics and testing - and 'new' emergent disciplines, wanting to stake their credibility - notably the newcomers to the academy: economics, political science, psych/sociology, etc. historically i can see a clear trend of misusing scientific methods and scientific jargon in order to try and pass off unfounded ideas as more stable and reasoned. however, as far as i can tell from my experience of research, with friends researching in psychology and such like, there is a real caution about this now. testing is still done, but it's not the 1950's anymore. i'm not really sure there's any more results fiddling going on, unpunished that is, in psychology than there are in many  hard science disciplines. it's a question of professional practice and ethics, not the whole discipline being somehow 'flawed'. it's a "do better" invective, as opposed to a "your whole field is bullshit" claim (as dilbert makes out).
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i agree that historically there have been meeting places between scientific methods - statistics and testing - and 'new' emergent disciplines, wanting to stake their credibility - notably the newcomers to the academy: economics, political science, psych/sociology, etc.
You say this like it's not happening continuously.

historically i can see a clear trend of misusing scientific methods and scientific jargon in order to try and pass off unfounded ideas as more stable and reasoned.
As do I - again, it comes from this misapprehension that having maths makes it scientific. A lot of people assume it does because, fuck, maths is hard, especially beyond first-year calculus level. Look, I have a pretty graph, it MUST be scientific!

To be fair, this happens a reasonable amount in the physical sciences too, which leads to some appalling things being published. EDIT: 404'd, but it's that dumbass GM food paper some green groups were pushing late last year

however, as far as i can tell from my experience of research, with friends researching in psychology and such like, there is a real caution about this now. testing is still done, but it's not the 1950's anymore. i'm not really sure there's any more results fiddling going on, unpunished that is, in psychology than there are in many  hard science disciplines.
I wouldn't really call it results fiddling that bugs me.

There's a wonderful saying by Wolfgang Pauli - that theory is worthless, it's not even wrong - I'd just like to see theories with a firmer, more unified theoretical basis, with a much better understanding of what is generally called 'the scientific method' but is mostly just making sure your shit stacks up straight (null hypothesis, control groups etc.) and just generally a greater weight on actual evidence.

it's a question of professional practice and ethics, not the whole discipline being somehow 'flawed'.
Partly. It's also a question of mindset - if the whole field is like that, what incentive is there to change?

it's a "do better" invective, as opposed to a "your whole field is bullshit" claim (as dilbert makes out).
There we agree. Psychology has important things to contribute and the sooner it unifies properly with neuroscience the better, but we're some ways off yet.

And economics has zero excuse IMO. They have the minds and they have the mathematical understanding. Now all they need is to subject their theories to proper scrutiny.

I do get the issues with making many social sciences properly scientific, and Jay hinted on it - you're dealing with people and they rarely behave. It's bloody hard to get a coherent, unified theory which is testable, repeatable and falsifiable when you're dealing with people. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try, though.

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-12 07:17:28)

~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
i do not agree that psychology should be totally unified with neuroscience. there are many areas of psychology and its theories that are useful beyond material-mechanistic explanations by neuroscience.
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i do not agree that psychology should be totally unified with neuroscience. there are many areas of psychology and its theories that are useful beyond material-mechanistic explanations by neuroscience.
Unified in the sense that one should support the other, and where there's overlap - and there will be once neuroscience gets up to scratch, this is still quite a young field - there isn't conflict. In the same way physics and chemistry are unified, for example - they share a lot of foundational theory but they're very different fields.

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-12 07:19:38)

~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Spark wrote:

And economics has zero excuse IMO. They have the minds and they have the mathematical understanding. Now all they need is to subject their theories to proper scrutiny.
Economists deal with an extraordinary amount of data, most of which is pure noise. There are just too many variables to track, and every economic boom and crash is unique. Sometimes housing prices bubble, like in the last crash, sometimes it's a political decision like Smoot-Hawley. Economists are more akin to historians, very good at discerning the causes for past events, but incredibly unable to predict future events. People are just too random.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

Spark wrote:

I don't think you get science. Without theoretical science all "applied" sciences have no purpose or direction; without applications any theory has no point (and I'm not meaning "making shit that sells" by applications)
oh, i understand this perfectly well. the thing i intended to point out is that science, which is of course supposed to be like what you described, has its mediators and, ultimately, its only intended benefactors - the humans. and those, as it happens, haven't been researched and explained fully by science yet. this is what i think uzique's been trying to get across - we are so much more than science has been able to figure out it makes it pretty hard to exactly determine purposes, directions and points of scientific development. not every theoretical discipline in science has real and strictly defined practical goal (string theory ) and not every practical solution produced by science had solid theoretical background.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
alma goes live soon
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard