Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

The point is that they use tools like statistics haphazardly and then turn that into a thesis, which the media then picks up on and touts as fact. It's generally bad science. Something like 2/3 of the claims made in medical and science journals end up being false when further testing is conducted, and that's coming from people that do understand the mathematical tools they are using. Frankly, the rampant abuse of statistics among the social sciences is why people no longer believe any of it. You end up with stupid sayings like '99% of statistics are made up on the spot, including this one'. Or conducting experiments under the guise of the scientific method but not understanding how to remove the intrinsic biases, or accounting for them if they can't be removed. Science isn't all that hard, but people in the social sciences fuck it up constantly. But I guess that's why they get a Bachelor of Arts instead of Bachelor of Science.
well the aim of a bachelor of arts isn't to study things with total certitude and 'right' and 'wrong' answers, so the goalposts are moved a little on your "fucking it up" claims. but yes, sure. statistics are misused by everyone. from madison avenue to 'news'/factual sources, to politics and the public sphere. it's not a social sciences thing exclusively. feynman misunderstands their point and function within academia. they are not trying to get at 'scientific truths' in the same sense that physics tries to find immutable 'laws of the universe'.
It's the whole point of things like political science though: trying to quantify and understand social dynamics with empirical models, brought to us by people with a single semester of dumbed down statistics, and maybe a freshman bio course that fulfilled their science requirement, under their belt.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-10 20:38:41)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i think political scientists and people in the social sciences have a lot more training and knowledge under their belt than "a freshman bio course". you're just being snobby over something you have no actual superior position in. pure scientists just get pissy because their beloved scientific method is used for a slightly different purpose. i don't really see any harm in it. just understand it for what it is. the world would be a much poorer place without thinkers and writers such as levi-strauss and co.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Depends on what you mean by "knowledge".

Scientists get pissy when people mix up opinion with knowledge, and being trained in regurgitating other peoples opinions would barely count as a form of training.

The harm in using scientific methods to pseudo-validate opinion is it reduces the worth of science, because people then think every subject is a pseudo-science.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-10 22:52:50)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

eloquent? he turned the scientific method into an ideology and something for a group to stake its identity on. a brilliant thinker, but the first in a long line of scientists to turn their nose up at everything that isn't hard science.
as jay said, he had a rare, rare skill for explanation. he could both explain extremely complicated topics without dumbing them down or oversimplifying them. i don't know anyone who did it better than he did in physics, at least.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Dilbert_X wrote:

Scientists get pissy when people mix up opinion with knowledge, and being trained in regurgitating other peoples opinions would barely count as a form of training.

The harm in using scientific methods to pseudo-validate opinion is it reduces the worth of science, because people then think every subject is a pseudo-science.
clearly you have never read a single social science work if you think it is "opinion". your bias is so fucking retarded. you demean yourself.

honestly, the lengths you will go to in order to belittle and pour scorn on anything that isn't your little niche... it really worries me. you come across as absolutely fucking mental.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-11 04:54:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Have you ever read a science work? The difference is immense.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

i don't think you get science. it is a methodology first and foremost, theory via evidence. that's all, really. it has to be rigorous, sure, and I would like to see a higher standard of statistical rigour in the social sciences (especially psychology) but I'd like that everywhere.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
yes, i have. i have spoken in every single one of my posts about them being two distinct things, with different aims, and different purposes. i enjoy both. i see the merits of both. scientists tend to fall into the trap, with all their wise rationalism, of being unable to see worth in anything that doesn't put the world in discrete, quantifiable, iron truth. well, not all of 'life' is like that. the material universe, perhaps, but 'life' for humans and human societies is never black/white, or based on laws and inviolable truths. thus the social sciences are a hybrid between science and humanities: they study human life and social phenomena, whilst realizing they are all relative and constructed. the scientific method is useful insofar as it helps get a grip and assay the social sphere - it's just another form of analysis, of rationalism, of calculation. is every social science work ever written useless, because it doesn't have the infinite truth of gravity? no. you are deluded.

please go read a fucking book.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
here's a social science work that explicitly deals with scientific discourse. it'll make you want to shit your pants in rage, then. it's one of my favourite books, and one of the most influential things i have read, for me, personally. it can be applied and interpreted in many different disciplines and scenarios- and even (fairly and validly) critiqued from about 10 different angles, too. but it's still useful, eye-opening, and absolutely important. doubt you've ever read a book in this category tbh, from your comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic_of_Enlightenment

some quotations from the intro - all the pseudo-science within will make your skin crawl, no doubt. if only adorno was a strong enough thinker to become an engineer!

“Enlightenment, understood in the widest sense as the advance of thought, has always aimed at liberating human beings from fear and installing them as masters. Yet the wholly enlightened earth is radiant with triumphant calamity. Enlightenment’s programs was the disenchantment of the world. It wanted to dispel myths, to overthrow fantasy with knowledge” (Adorno, Horkheimer, 1).

“Knowledge, which is power, knows no limits, either in its enslavement of creation or in its deference to worldly matters. Just as it serves all the purposes of the bourgeoisie economy both in factories and on the battlefield, it is at the disposal of entrepreneurs regardless of their origins. Kings control technology no more directly than do merchants: it is as democractic as the economic system with which it evolved. Technology is the essense of this knowledge” (Adorno, Horkheimer, 2).

“What human beings seek to learn from nature is how to use it to dominate wholly both it and human beings. Nothing else counts. Ruthless towards itself, the Enlightenment has eradicated the last remnant of its self-awareness. Only that which does violence to itself is hard enough to shatter myths”(Adorno, Horkheimer, 2)

“The disenchantment of the world means the extripation of animism”(Adorno, Horkheimer, 2).

“For the Enlightenment, anything which cannot be resolved into numbers, and ultimately one, is illusion; modern positivism consigns it to poetry. Unity remains the watchword from Parmenides to Russell. All gods and qualities must be destroyed”(Adorno, Horkheimer, 4-5).

“Each human being has been endowed with a self of his or her own, different from all the others, so that it could all the more surely be made the same”(Adorno, Horkheimer, 9).

“Humans believe themselves free of fear when there is no longer anything unknown”(Adorno, Horkheimer, 11).

"Myth becomes enlightenment and nature mere objectivity. Human beings purchase the increase in their power with estrangement from that over which it is exerted. Enlightenment stands in the same relationship to things as the dictator to human beings. He knows them to the extent that he can manipulate them. The man of science knows things to the extent that he can make them. Their “in-itself ” becomes “for him.”

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-11 05:32:37)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

My biggest issue with the pseudo-sciences is that they claim to be a science.  If they stopped trying to be science and accepted a different classification I'd have no problem with them. But when you have business classes calling their study a science there's something wrong.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Winston_Churchill wrote:

My biggest issue with the pseudo-sciences is that they claim to be a science.  If they stopped trying to be science and accepted a different classification I'd have no problem with them. But when you have business classes calling their study a science there's something wrong.
Right, they try to add gravitas to their discipline by implying that their research has the same tradition of experimental rigor as pure science. Science is built upon a foundation of physical laws that just can't be translated over to the study of humanity, as humans don't behave in a linear manner that can be quantified inside of a mathematical formula. There's just too much chaos. It's why every system of government becomes more authoritarian over time: the people in charge try to assert their control, they fail, they pass more laws, they fail again, eventually they pass one law too many and a revolt occurs followed by a period of freedom. The natural state of humanity is chaos; impossible to model in a scientific manner.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i don't know any social sciences in the 21st century that try to seriously pass themselves off as science. maybe in the 1930's or 1950's, when they first made academic in-roads, and they became all-popular on the campuses as an emergent new intellectual force. today? show me one psychology professor or sociologist or political scientist at a top institution that considers their work 'hard science'. there are no more sociologists who think they can prove some 'law' about society through positivism. postmodernism and relativism happened almost 50 years ago now. your guys' impression of the social sciences is about 50 years out of date, too. as you'd expect from someone who clearly has never read a modern social science book.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-11 10:17:57)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i've had to take a few sociology and history courses in the past couple years so i know quite well none of them consider themselves a 'hard' science, thats not even relevant to what i said.  all im saying is they need stop piggybacking on the term of science and find their own definition for a discipline.  theres nothing inherently lesser about them, theyre just not a science. there are little to no facts or hard evidence in the social science disciplines. call them social studies again, like we did in elementary school
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
there are plenty of facts and evidence in the social sciences. just not absolute or axiomatic truths. you can't express it perfectly in a formula, yep. but psychologists do immense amounts of research for their work. are you saying none of that is 'factual', or involves facts and figures? or some evidence-based substantiation of their point? this is an inane fucking discussion. why are scientists never happy with their own discipline? they always want to define what they do by detracting from everything else.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

im not trying to say theyre better or worse than hard sciences, im saying theyre different.  of course psychology and other disciplines have done incredible things - theyre just different.  i completely recognize their contributions and importance but they are simply not the same thing as a hard science.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
and no one is claiming that they are. jesus this is a retarded conversation. tell dilbert to stop getting his panties in a twist and trying to pass off everything that isn't fucking physics as "training in useless opinion". you guys come off looking more retarded than the worst pop psychologist.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

im really not a part of the "anything but physics is pointless" group. i totally agree that jay and dilbert's opinions are extreme
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i don't know any social sciences in the 21st century that try to seriously pass themselves off as science. maybe in the 1930's or 1950's, when they first made academic in-roads, and they became all-popular on the campuses as an emergent new intellectual force. today? show me one psychology professor or sociologist or political scientist at a top institution that considers their work 'hard science'. there are no more sociologists who think they can prove some 'law' about society through positivism. postmodernism and relativism happened almost 50 years ago now. your guys' impression of the social sciences is about 50 years out of date, too. as you'd expect from someone who clearly has never read a modern social science book.
Psychology does. Still. And with the greatest of respect to psychologists who do really good and important work, it really isn't, from first-hand and second-hand experience.

Which is a tad irritating, because psychology is the gateway to probably some of the most important scientific fields of the 21st century on the theoretical side.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i just think you scientists are being a little bit too precious and dogmatic over the semantics of the word 'science' being used as a label for a few disciplines that are in the 'softer' end of the scientifically-applied branches of knowledge. what harm does it do if the faculty is called the 'social sciences' rather than the 'social studies'? sciences connotes that it is based on the gathering of information, empirically, and application of certain positivist methods. does it demean physics? does it insult biologists? really, so so precious. it's like me getting irritated when airline stewards refer to their emergency leaflets as 'onboard literature', when 'literature' is only meant to be denoted traditionally as high-art and serious intellectual stuff!!!!!!! omg!!! get a fucking grip.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
The issue with psychology is, as I said, it's a gateway to some unquestionably scientific fields which are hugely important and in great need of a bit of rigour (of the mathematical kind). Neurology etc. And it's them calling psychology a science, not me, and they organise themselves under science faculties in the unis I'm familiar with.

Come on man, you know I'm fairly partial to your views on this.

Last edited by Spark (2013-03-11 19:58:33)

~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
really it should be of about as much concern to you and your own research as it is a concern of mine that 'media arts' are classed as an 'arts' subject. people are not stupid. it's just a label. people know that media arts are not doing hardcore modal philosophy in the same way that people know psychologists aren't making grand theoretical models of the universe. this just seems to me like the usual egotistical moaning of scientists, who want to reserve a space for them & their own endeavours at the top of the supposed hierarchy of human attainment. some exclusive intellectual zone. "scientist-kings". lol. social sciences signify different things from theoretical sciences. i don't see the big deal. you'd have to be an idiot to ever confuse or mix them.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

really it should be of about as much concern to you and your own research as it is a concern of mine that 'media arts' are classed as an 'arts' subject. people are not stupid. it's just a label. people know that media arts are not doing hardcore modal philosophy in the same way that people know psychologists aren't making grand theoretical models of the universe. this just seems to me like the usual egotistical moaning of scientists, who want to reserve a space for them & their own endeavours at the top of the supposed hierarchy of human attainment. some exclusive intellectual zone. "scientist-kings". lol. social sciences signify different things from theoretical sciences. i don't see the big deal. you'd have to be an idiot to ever confuse or mix them.

http://www.arachnoid.com/psychology/

This article puts it better than I could. It's not about different viewpoints - at first blush, psychology absolutely should be a science - it's about a lack of rigour.

Look, if psychology doesn't want to be a science, then cool. But then they should stop saying that it is.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i just think you scientists are being a little bit too precious and dogmatic over the semantics of the word 'science' being used as a label for a few disciplines that are in the 'softer' end of the scientifically-applied branches of knowledge. what harm does it do if the faculty is called the 'social sciences' rather than the 'social studies'? sciences connotes that it is based on the gathering of information, empirically, and application of certain positivist methods. does it demean physics? does it insult biologists? really, so so precious. it's like me getting irritated when airline stewards refer to their emergency leaflets as 'onboard literature', when 'literature' is only meant to be denoted traditionally as high-art and serious intellectual stuff!!!!!!! omg!!! get a fucking grip.
Its the wrong, plain and simple. Either a process is scientific or it isn't, 'social sciences', psychology etc generally aren't scientific by any stretch, they're argument and opinion and often strikingly poor. Just have a read of the DSM-5 if you want an idea of what made-up pseudo-science looks like.

But if we are going to use clearly defined terms any way we like I think I'll say the Haynes manual for my Subaru is high-art intellectual literature up there with Dickens and Proust.

Scientists don't generally give too much of a crap what other areas of academia get up to, except when they repeatedly make claims which are demonstrably wrong - not least because thats the antithesis of the scientific method....
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i just think it's a little misguided to look for mathematical rigour in the study of the human interior. we don't have that consistency. psychology can use (quasi) scientific methods to try and collect data, observe, test, and make some tentative conclusions about the results. but the human mind is not the same as the observable material universe. it'll be a dark and shady spot in human understanding even when the furthest reaches of the universe have been observed and brought to light. should psychology just give up, then? not try? consign itself to freud-like late-19th century philosophizing? of course not. psychology can still be applied in medicinal and pragmatic ways to produce 'results'. it's not an exact science, but then not many things in life are as mechanical as physics or engineering. you are trying to reduce the world to black and white; or rather, recognizing that impossibility, you'd rather the gray areas of existence got no benefit from your beloved 'scientific method'. what's the point? to what end? nobody is demeaning or thinking less of science qua SCIENCEEEE when they describe psychology as 'scientific'. i really don't see the issue.

oh and i already rebutted your silly "haynes manual" point. i don't care if you describe it as literature, because it's patently obvious that it's something else entirely. i'm not going to freak out over someone's choice of words, or its semantics. just as psychology is immediately apparently different from physics.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
but then not many things in life are as mechanical as physics or engineering
Then they aren't sciences, sorry.

They can be investigated using aspects of the scientific method but thats where it ends.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-12 05:42:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard