Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

But why should we? The amount of time the human species has existed is ridiculously small. If the entire evolution of the universe was compacted to one year, Jan 1st being the beginning and December 31st being the present, the entire modern human existence would only occupy the last few minutes of the last day.. December 31. In one year we would only occupy six minutes.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5202|Sydney
Yeah, I've heard similar analogies before, like the 2 seconds to midnight comparison. But we lose sight of it far too often. To have it put into perspective once more is very humbling.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Yes, I believe that's a day comparison.

*edit, a day of just the earth evolution.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5202|Sydney
Yes. I recall watching a documentary titled "Two Seconds to Midnight" some years ago, about this very topic. It was quite an eye opener.

*edit: yes, it was about the existence of the Earth. They went through the times of day to illustrate just how long certain eras were. Quite startling to realise the changes we've made in such a short time.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-07-04 04:26:32)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Carl wrote:

Our lives are intimately linked to the stars. Thermonuclear reactions deep inside the Sun provide the sustenance for life on Earth. The carbon in our cells, the oxygen we breathe, the calcium in our bones, and the iron in our blood were forged inside stars that expired billions of years ago. So, you see that virtually everything is made from star dust, we are star dust.
So our existence may be just the Universe trying to understand itself. 

Spoiler (highlight to read):
the meaning of life
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Panel Proposes Killing Webb Space Telescope
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/scien … .html?_r=3

The House Appropriations Committee proposed Wednesday to kill the James Webb Space Telescope, the crown jewel of NASA’s astronomy plans for the next two decades.

Tod R. Lauer, an astronomer at the National Optical Astronomy Observatory in Tucson, echoed his view. “This would be an unmitigated disaster for cosmology,” he said. “After two decades of pushing the Hubble to its limits, which has revolutionized astronomy, the next step would be to pack up and give up. The Hubble is just good enough to see what we’re missing at the start of time.”

The Webb telescope, he said, “would bring it home in full living color.”
Well that sucks.. immensely. Hopefully it's just political hot air.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 131545.htm

ScienceDaily (July 8, 2011) — Researchers have discovered a way to capture and harness energy transmitted by such sources as radio and television transmitters, cell phone networks and satellite communications systems. By scavenging this ambient energy from the air around us, the technique could provide a new way to power networks of wireless sensors, microprocessors and communications chips.
This is neat. Always wondered/hoped we could do this.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6023|...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ … transplant

Cancer patient receives first synthetic organ transplant

Man given synthetic trachea created by growing his own stem cells on artificial 'scaffold'
Didn't know they already figured out how to recreate our airways using stem cells... this is great news tbh.
inane little opines
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Been quite the harbinger of good news in this thread, some balance is needed:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … witterfeed

ScienceDaily (July 10, 2011) — An international research team has discovered a strain of gonorrhea resistant to all currently available antibiotics. This new strain is likely to transform a common and once easily treatable infection into a global threat to public health.
Yeah.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6756|Cambridge, England

Shocking wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/08/cancer-patient-synthetic-organ-transplant

Man given synthetic trachea created by growing his own stem cells on artificial 'scaffold'
Didn't know they already figured out how to recreate our airways using stem cells... this is great news tbh.
They figured out a little while ago how to grow simple organs on a "scaffold" I saw a documentary where they made a nose and a bladder
13rin
+977|6503

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Shocking wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/08/cancer-patient-synthetic-organ-transplant

They figured out a little while ago how to grow simple organs on a "scaffold" I saw a documentary where they made a nose and a bladder
Nice.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

THAT'S WACIST!

DiscoveryNews wrote:

If your heritage is non-African, you are part Neanderthal, according to a new study in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution. Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings.

Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal's Department of Pediatrics and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center conducted the study with his colleagues. They determined some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals, but only in people of non-African heritage.

more: http://news.discovery.com/human/genetic … 10718.html
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6023|...

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Shocking wrote:

A nose? wow lol. Can't wait for when they figure out how to create limbs.
inane little opines
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5985|Places 'n such
I remember reading a few years back that they reckon they'll be able to grow most organs from your stem cells within ten years. Massive breakthrough for cancer patients I suppose.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Cheeky_Ninja06

Shocking wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Shocking wrote:

A nose? wow lol. Can't wait for when they figure out how to create limbs.
Wasnt a complete functioning nose, more like a fancy skin graft they could only make simple things as was new tech clearly.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

Regrowing teeth in your own skull would be kind of bizarre, but it'd make boxing a lot less risky.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Eros, a near earth asteroid orbiting between Mars and Earth is valued at over 20 Trillion dollars in metals (Copper, Silver, Gold, etc). If you added up all of the metals used in every single structure ever created in the history of human civilization it would only make up a small fraction of what is contained in Eros.

http://skywatcherz.com/blog/2011/07/20/ … e-of-eros/
I had to host the video clip myself..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Strip mining asteroids fueled by the scooped atmosphere of gas giants. If we're really serious as a civilization about progress, that should be where we're going. Eventually.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

I'm just amazed at how much valuable metal it contains considering its relative size.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
IIRC a large proportion, if not the majority (if not the overwhelming majority, in fact, if I recall) of Earth's rare materials and the like came from asteroid impacts, so it would stand to reason that they are comparatively immensely rich in valuable resources.

Last edited by Spark (2011-07-20 01:05:24)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6129|eXtreme to the maX
Um, you guys know they're vaulable because they're rare?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

IIRC a large proportion, if not the majority (if not the overwhelming majority, in fact, if I recall) of Earth's rare materials and the like came from asteroid impacts, so it would stand to reason that they are comparatively immensely rich in valuable resources.
You are right.

Metals are also valuable because they happen to be useful in building and manufacturing things. They are valuable because they help advance civilization. The video clip I posted was cut off prior to getting in to the "real payoff".
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

We happen to need many of them in exponentially increasing amounts to fuel our progress as a civilization. Better from some dead lifeless rock in the middle of nothingness (assuming one has the capability) than from beneath temperate African rainforest, tbh.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

We happen to need many of them in exponentially increasing amounts to fuel our progress as a civilization. Better from some dead lifeless rock in the middle of nothingness (assuming one has the capability) than from beneath temperate African rainforest, tbh.
One single metric ton of Helium 3 (rare on earth) could serve the electrical needs of a population of 10 million people for over a year. Uranus has enough Helium 3 to meet Earths energy needs for the next 4 billion years. We better not get it though. We could possibly devalue oil commodities.

Stupid magnetosphere blocking our Helium 3 delivery.
[youtubehq]
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cheeky_Ninja06

Kmar wrote:

Eros, a near earth asteroid orbiting between Mars and Earth is valued at over 20 Trillion dollars in metals (Copper, Silver, Gold, etc). If you added up all of the metals used in every single structure ever created in the history of human civilization it would only make up a small fraction of what is contained in Eros.

http://skywatcherz.com/blog/2011/07/20/ … e-of-eros/
I had to host the video clip myself..
Well it shouldnt be tooo long before we can do something with this. Nasa have already launched a mission to land on an asteroid (wont get there for 4 years mind). Europe are developing "space tugs" to possibly facilitate building (assembling) structures and or craft in space rather than launching them from earth in 1 go. There is the 500 day experiment as we are getting close enough to a manned Mars mission to start worrying about psychological stresses.

Its certainly not beyond the realms of possibility and what with private companies becoming ever more involved in space the financial incentive should justify the expenditure to make it happen.

Cant wait personally

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard