Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6494
i care when scientists start decreeing shit like "god does not exist". because their empiricism doesn't even scratch the question.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

eleven bravo wrote:

I wonder what the pope thinks about black holes
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen … 926487.ece

So I'm guessing the Catholic Church isn't interested in denouncing space phenomena anymore.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5985|Places 'n such

Spark wrote:

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is one.
Thought they were fucking about with this and quantum entanglement to try to resolve that whole thing?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Resolve what? It's a standard mathematical proof...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5985|Places 'n such
Just the whole idea you cant know speed and position? Dunno, I just remember reading something about how they were using entanglement to somehow narrow down both measurements.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Not just speed and position, but any pair of incompatible observables.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6561|Long Island, New York
https://i.space.com/images/i/9818/original/nasa-deep-space-vehicle-mpcv-art.jpg?1306257091

NASA on Tuesday announced a plan to develop a new deep space vehicle, one based on an earlier capsule concept, in order to send astronauts on expeditions to an asteroid, and then on to Mars.

The spaceship, known as the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV), will be based on designs originally planned for the Orion spacecraft, NASA officials announced today (May 24). Orion was part of NASA's now-canceled Constellation program, which aimed to return astronauts to the moon by the 2020s.
http://www.space.com/11765-nasa-deep-sp … ement.html

Asteroid by 2025, Mars by 2030. Pretty ambitious.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom
i think it fucking sucks that we have to wait a decade and a half just to see any kind of progress
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

Ilocano wrote:

Common sense is all relative.  There was a time that it was common sense not to sail too far or you'd fall off the earth.
Might as well think that in those days of shitty ships.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5497|Ventura, California
I just read on Cracked that we don't crap right. Supposedly we're supposed to squat instead of sit. Interesting article tbh, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought, cracked doesn't exactly seem to be an outstanding source.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

eleven bravo wrote:

i think it fucking sucks that we have to wait a decade and a half just to see any kind of progress
Considering our current fleet of manned ships are solely for Low Earth Orbit, I'd say 15 years is a pretty good amount of time to get a deep space vehicle done especially with the economy.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5202|Sydney
If it says it in the Bible it must be true.
Does it say you should squat?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom

Poseidon wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Considering our current fleet of manned ships are solely for Low Earth Orbit, I'd say 15 years is a pretty good amount of time to get a deep space vehicle done especially with the economy.
the spanish were polluting the carribean a year after columbus
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom
I mean really, they cant wonder why nobody gives a fuck about space exploration when 15 years is supposed to be good time.  it took less than a decade to get the to the moon.
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6795|PNW

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I just read on Cracked that we don't crap right. Supposedly we're supposed to squat instead of sit. Interesting article tbh, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought, cracked doesn't exactly seem to be an outstanding source.
Cracked's not the only one with that. Slate quotes Time on what some proctologist said. Damned if I'm going to squat on top of a &^$% toilet though. The splash-back would be killer.
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
A solution to the "where is most of the universe" problem?

Paper is here, pre-publication obvs.

tl;dr version is rather than in dark, non-emitting lumps of particles or cold rocks or whatever, the idea is that a good chunk of the "missing" mass could be locked up in hitherto unassuming "filaments" of hot, dense gas strung out between galaxies.

Last edited by Spark (2011-05-24 20:42:33)

~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Okay I finally caught up in that debate on the last few pages. Think Hawking was mainly talking about potential confirmation of the Wick rotation - a clever little mathematical trick (which I use) but when applied to the universe as a whole (I think you throw it straight into the Hamiltonian and from there into the D-W equation) has staggering implications about the overall structure and boundary of the universe. Essentially it predicts that the universe is completely and utterly self-contained in every sense - the No Boundary theorem. In this theory, thinking of things outside the universe or outside of the universe's time is utterly meaningless - it's like asking for a location north of the North Pole. Hawking is one of the major advocates of this theory and has been for a long time, so I'm not entirely sure what Uzique is getting worked up about.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
As an addendum, one also has to take the musings of theoretical mathematical-physicists on "God" with a massive grain or salt. 99% probability that they're not talking about what you think they're talking about.
~ Richard Feynman
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6708|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Cracked's not the only one with that. Slate quotes Time on what some proctologist said. Damned if I'm going to squat on top of a &^$% toilet though. The splash-back would be killer.
That's cause our toilets are designed for sitting. The Japs and such have squat toilets, but that whole practice seems quite uncomfortable to me.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

LHC producing quark-gluon plasma. More dense than a neutron star. 1 sugar cube=40 billion tons.
Scientists operating the Large Hadron Collider have announced the creation of a new instance of quark-gluon plasma, the densest form of matter ever observed by humanity. The unique material is 100,000 times hotter than the sun and denser than any known object other than a black hole.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi … ial-Matter
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS
Nifty. Would be useful to study the properties of that stuff if they can get it to last.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

I'm reminded of Carl Sagan and the episode of the Cosmos where he is holding a ball the size of an apple, and he said if it had the desity of a neutron star and he dropped it (not like he could hold it) that it would cut through the earth emerging out the other side. That would repeat until the earth was like swiss cheese and it eventually settled at the core.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6624|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

eleven bravo wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

the spanish were polluting the carribean a year after columbus
Bit different. Plenty of people died on the voyages over... in today's society we have to perfect our vehicles, rigorously test them and gain support for them to be created in the first place. Not to mention landing on an asteroid is probably difficult - nailing down trajectory and how to land on an object that doesn't have a flat surface and is traveling quite fast isn't the easiest task in the world.
Blue Herring
+13|4828

DesertFox- wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

That's cause our toilets are designed for sitting. The Japs and such have squat toilets, but that whole practice seems quite uncomfortable to me.
People have been sitting to shit for a long time. The interesting thing about organisms is adaptability; I doubt we're hurting ourselves by sitting to crap.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard