Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5504|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

Well, when they can work on that sea mussel infestation in the great lakes, then I will believe they can actually do something about the carp.  Until then, it'll probably be a spectacular waste of tax dollars.
Zebra mussels have been fucking shit up for decades.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6276|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Well, when they can work on that sea mussel infestation in the great lakes, then I will believe they can actually do something about the carp.  Until then, it'll probably be a spectacular waste of tax dollars.
They were found in the great lakes in 1988, apparently.  They are ridiculous little bastards!  I took a school tour of the Niagara Power Authority, and they had some pieces of equipment that were underwater for awhile and completely covered in zebra mussels.  They jam up the water intakes for the hydro plant regularly.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Zebra_mussel_GLERL_3.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They also came from China btw
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
They make the water around where I live taste like shit.  It sucks hardcore.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5156|Ontario, Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Agreed. Apparently zebra mussels are being a bitch to pipes and industrial stuff. Clogging everything up and crap. The damn hings aren't even edible by most animals.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Acerider wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Agreed. Apparently zebra mussels are being a bitch to pipes and industrial stuff. Clogging everything up and crap. The damn hings aren't even edible by most animals.
Good job reading wikipedia Pace.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6813

So, how do they keep it manageable in China?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Ilocano wrote:

I dunno if they are from China (for some reason, I thought it was Asia/Eastern Europe that dealt with them...but I could be wrong), but places that HAVE dealt with them plan multiple intake pipes so they can close a few and open other ones when they need to be cleaned.  Since they clog intakes for water, and the hydroelectric power project and local water intakes were built before the mussels showed up, the engineering needed to deal with them wasn't considered.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Wikipedia says that they won't attach to cupronickel alloys so I guess they'll be making intakes out of that.
-Frederick Bastiat
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6369|Escea

Ilocano wrote:

Through China's water quality
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

They were found in the great lakes in 1988, apparently.  They are ridiculous little bastards!  I took a school tour of the Niagara Power Authority, and they had some pieces of equipment that were underwater for awhile and completely covered in zebra mussels.  They jam up the water intakes for the hydro plant regularly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … LERL_3.jpg
Haha, I'm reminded of the time when everyone thought the seafloor was completely dead and devoid of life (no sunlight and completely stagnant water so no oxygen and no nutrients, right?) - everyone got quite the surprise when the hauled the first Transatlantic telegraph cables up for the first time for maintenance.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS
Oh yeah, and the Nobel prizes that are actually somewhat meaningful were handed out

Physics: Andre Geim, Konstantin Novoselov - for development of some new semi-conductor material that I have very little knowledge of, but I'm sure it's useful. I'm surprised though - generally Nobel prizes in physics go to theoretical developments, which is correct IMO.
Chemistry: Richard F. Heck, Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki - Pd catalysis. Very very useful IIRC in industrial chem, has been for some time.
Medicine: Robert G. Edwards - for IVF
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

Bad Universe S01E02 Alien Attack
In case you missed it Wednsday..

also..
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas … o-a-comet/
You will need binoculars
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

Trotskygrad wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Although the distance to that planet is immense, as kmar said, we have not by any chance discovered all the planets and solar systems in the galaxy, or universe, due to the vast amount. It's entirely possible that there is a closer solar system to us with the ability to host earth like life. And there is also the possibility that we might discover life that thrives in conditions we find hostile, with a different genetic makeup. It's very likely that the life we discover first will be very different from any we ever know. We probably won't find life we can relate to until we explore a planet with an earth like environment, like the one recently found.
and that will be a great achievement.

Oh and gravitational slingshots are not REALLY free, they slow down the planet a fractional fractional fractional amount... Might be a problem if we start using it a LOT for very BIG ships
We use the Earths gravity to get a boost nearly every time we launch a rocket. The reason NASA prefers launching from Florida's space coast is that it is close to the equator, and the boost is greatest there. That is why the shuttle pivots and heads east shortly after liftoff. .. and of course east of Florida is open water (safety).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6821|Canberra, AUS
Technically it's not the earth's gravity we use in that case, but the earth's angular momentum.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6747|132 and Bush

True but you need gravity to do it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6252|eXtreme to the maX

Kmar wrote:

Wut?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6107|Places 'n such

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Wut?
Suns gravitational pull provides angular momentum to the earth? dunno.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
the earth wont spin without gravity
Tu Stultus Es
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5156|Ontario, Canada
Concerning extraterrestrial travel methods, I think it's more likely that "aliens", if they are advanced enough, would opt for cheap and fast teleportation technology as opposed to huge ships.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5182|Massachusetts, USA

Acerider wrote:

Concerning extraterrestrial travel methods, I think it's more likely that "aliens", if they are advanced enough, would opt for cheap and fast teleportation technology as opposed to huge ships.
Where the hell do you get your information, from preschool books?
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6617

Acerider wrote:

bahahahaha genius

i think they'd just stay the fuck at home and save money for beer
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6918|PNW

D&ST - Science Fiction
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5156|Ontario, Canada
Presenting the Bell-Agusta BA609.

https://www.aircraftinformation.info/Images/BA609_01.jpg

This thing is really cool, it'll probably replace the older V-22's.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6145|...

Kmar wrote:

The vast majority of planets have been found by the doppler method. Those telescopes were built for this job.
That being the case, nevermind most of what I said. I suppose the best purpose trying to find specific planets gives is the refinement and improvement of techniques needed to determine all possible variables. I still don't however see the purpose in trying to find habitable planets many lightyears away while we haven't even managed to travel to the edge of our own solar system in an acceptable timeframe (let alone managing to communicate with unmanned objects on such distances, to not even mention manned expeditions). It's simply supporting science with the reasoning being "because it's science".

Kmar wrote:

Faster than light travel is impossible from what we know now.. as a matter of physics. It is the universal speed limit. However over time we may discover ways around it. There is a lot we still don't know when it comes to how the universe works. No one here has a crystal ball. But I will say, the so called impossible has been made possible time and time again through out human history. I see no reason to stop trying or learning.
Quite true but there comes a point in which the required effort to attain the desired level of speed is simply ridiculous. I think anyone would be content with near lightspeed travel if we could extend our own lives by X amount of years. Time above all is relative. However, the problem lies in trying to achieve a speed so insanely fast. The amount of energy you need to propell something at 2x10^8 or even 3x10^8 m/sec is simply mind boggling. We're going to have to sit in our own solar system stockpiling resources for some time would it ever become a feasible option. Furthermore, there are alot of biological problems that need to be overcome with the idea of humans in space if we ever wish to go somewhere in person.

Because nobody really has any idea on how to make gravity work aside from the known being that mass and the coupled density of an object influence it, I can't really speak on any idea involving it's manipulation. Perhaps if we'd ever find the higgs we might get some unprecedented insight in the possibilities surrounding the concept. Even so, again, the amount of energy required to find the higgs is ludicrous. I'm quite sure that trying to make the whole gravity network do as we like would cost much more effort than just that.

In closing I believe it's pretty vital we concentrate on getting off this aptly named 'pale blue dot' and delve into the resources of our own solar system before we start daydreaming about visiting something a gazillion miles away. If there's anything I understand about the subject, it is that our own resources and the ones we can make are by far not enough to open up the possibility of interstellar travel. We need to start thinking bigger, much, much bigger.

Acerider wrote:

Although the distance to that planet is immense, as kmar said, we have not by any chance discovered all the planets and solar systems in the galaxy, or universe, due to the vast amount. It's entirely possible that there is a closer solar system to us with the ability to host earth like life.
The definition of "close" used by scientists however is far from reality when thinking on a cosmic scale involving humans. Furthermore the possibility of a habitable planet even closer than this one in another solar system is highly unlikely. The closest solar systems are generally the first to be discovered.

Acerider wrote:

And there is also the possibility that we might discover life that thrives in conditions we find hostile, with a different genetic makeup.
We already have, just need to know where to look. Right beneath our feet. An interesting subject in the search right now is Lake Vostok, take a look at it if you like.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard