Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
For a useless, purely theoretical branch of physics that soaked up the time and effort of some of the finest minds in the world for many years despite being obvious it could have no use whatsoever...

1910's-1920's quantum mechanics.

Oh... wait.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6020|Places 'n such

Spark wrote:

For a useless, purely theoretical branch of physics that soaked up the time and effort of some of the finest minds in the world for many years despite being obvious it could have no use whatsoever...

1910's-1920's quantum mechanics.

Oh... wait.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Albert_Einstein_photo_1920.jpg/220px-Albert_Einstein_photo_1920.jpg

useless bloody lay-about.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6831|PNW

Uzique wrote:

people that keep raving on about these planets are fucking retarded

21st century space-science is apparently a polite term for 'complete fucking speculation'

i preferred it in the 1970's when all the sci-fi naivety was at least a little bit charming
Why so obtuse about people discussing something you don't care about?

Kmar wrote:

Uzique wrote:

oh yeah great job guys we found an earth clone

everyone hop aboard the bus, we'll be there in about 2.3 million years

i hope the humans there have put the kettle on. gonna be dying for a cuppa by the end of that coachtrip.
It's not about getting there. Also, just because the planet is in the "habital zone" it does not mean the planet is habitable, or even very Earthlike.
This. Plus the planet's rotation gives it very hot days and cold nights. Stories like are infinitely more interesting than politics, even if they're out of reach.

What's ironic is that when we send our first colony ship out to another star, before it gets there we'll probably show up years and years later to tow the thing the rest of the way with a faster vessel.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6557

Uzique wrote:

gonna be dying for a cuppa by the end of that coachtrip.
The Stars My Destination

Last edited by burnzz (2010-10-01 20:09:25)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6059|...
Uzique does have a point, modern science is flying way out of reach of what we can actually do and what would be useful information.. I know that huge projects such as trying to find life on other planets will at some point make progress in the engineering world that will be passed down to civillian life, but it doesn't actually help us get anywhere.

All it really does is soak up money and operation time on expensive equipment... the question of where life is and what it looks like doesn't have relevance to our situation. It probably won't have relevance to our situation for atleast another century. It's not even really relevant to the field of astrophysics.

I don't think cern is a waste of time though, gravity is one hell of a big deal.
inane little opines
jord
+2,382|6737|The North, beyond the wall.
A lot of science has been done for purely academic reasons instead of profit driven motivations or practical applications. People might place the cure to a disease as a priority over finding out about our universe but i'd rather we try to answer more of the great questions. Each to their own I suppose. The quest for knowledge is a valid driving force.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

The potential for making money whilst pursuing these scientific questions is nearly endless. Also, these projects are relatively small when compared to where we are putting our money/effort.

Gravity is a big deal. In fact this latest discovery was acheived in part by the study of gravity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of … crolensing
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6059|...
Don't get me wrong I'm totally for answering questions about life but I'd say take it one step at a time, research on other planets is fine but trying to find life X lightyears away seems a bit too optimistic. F.ex. they're taking a microscope, looking at a cell but trying to concentrate on an area too small to actually see in detail, because they can't zoom in far enough. It's kind of a pointless quest, and it won't really offer something of scientific value.

It's simply singling out the planets who we think might be habitable, because that's all they're really able to say.
inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6831|PNW

dayarath wrote:

Uzique does have a point, modern science is flying way out of reach of what we can actually do and what would be useful information.. I know that huge projects such as trying to find life on other planets will at some point make progress in the engineering world that will be passed down to civillian life, but it doesn't actually help us get anywhere.

All it really does is soak up money and operation time on expensive equipment... the question of where life is and what it looks like doesn't have relevance to our situation. It probably won't have relevance to our situation for atleast another century. It's not even really relevant to the field of astrophysics.

I don't think cern is a waste of time though, gravity is one hell of a big deal.
The Lewis & Clark expedition was also criticized for being ahead of what America was 'ready for.'

No, what's really soaking up money are petty conflicts worldwide.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6059|...
I don't think that's a good comparison
inane little opines
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

dayarath wrote:

Don't get me wrong I'm totally for answering questions about life but I'd say take it one step at a time, research on other planets is fine but trying to find life X lightyears away seems a bit too optimistic. F.ex. they're taking a microscope, looking at a cell but trying to concentrate on an area too small to actually see in detail, because they can't zoom in far enough. It's kind of a pointless quest, and it won't really offer something of scientific value.

It's simply singling out the planets who we think might be habitable, because that's all they're really able to say.
It is a bit optimistic today.. but the technologies needed to consider interstellar travel would require that we study and learn about them centuries in advance. You may be of the belief that we will be all be dead long before we get there, which is fine. But the human race has never given up on trying to understand. Giving up because we plan on being dead is not something most scientist are willing to do. I would be more inclined to agree with you if it was true that the study of exoplanets, cosmic evolution, etc.. was seriously impacting and interfering with life on earth today. But it simply is not. For the most part it is benefiting it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6059|...

Kmar wrote:

It is a bit optimistic today.. but the technologies needed to consider interstellar travel would require that we study and learn about them centuries in advance. You may be of the belief that we will be all be dead long before we get there, which is fine. But the human race has never given up on trying to understand. Giving up because we plan on being dead is not something most scientist are willing to do. I would be more inclined to agree with you if it was true that the study of exoplanets, cosmic evolution, etc.. was seriously impacting and interfering with life on earth today. But it simply is not. For the most part it is benefiting it.
Improving our speed in space travel is something that many other projects already try to achieve, actually everyone involving themselves with objects outside of our solar system has an interest in increasing our speed.

I didn't know these guys looking at habitable planets would contribute to that though. But what can we actually do with the knowledge they're providing? We already know how to find planets, sometims we can figure out their buildingblocks, and searching for other planets has taught us a whole lot about how other solar systems work. This research however doesn't try and do anything new, it's simply taking those already known concepts and repeating them over and over on solar systems hand picked on their similarities to ours, requiring hundreds of hours on telescopes and such.

If you want to find and define life by all means lets start at a point where we can actually go and look for it: Europa. I'm just not of the impression that every field of science is going to contribute to humanity just because it's science, and as such would be worth funding. I support everything with a clearly defined, reachable and useful goal. Simply singling out habitable planets doesn't teach us anything, studying solar systems as a whole does.

On the other subject; I don't think we're really gonna end up going faster than light. The energy required to achieve something like that is just enormous, whichever way you're going to do it. I'm gonna look at cell and neuro research for it, extending our lifespan by a couple hundred years and perhaps putting people in a coma while preventing them of ending up like plants as they wake up, and hopefully achieving travel near the speed of light may make a travel time of 40-50 years seem insignificant.

I like how they're doing it with sattelites tbh.. simply using planets' gravity as a slingshot, some of those are going 50.000 km/h. It's free and works great.
inane little opines
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
I think you are vastly overestimating the amount of effort that goes into the habitable planet search.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6059|...

Spark wrote:

I think you are vastly overestimating the amount of effort that goes into the habitable planet search.
find solar system, determine intensity of star, determine type of star, determine if there are planets, see in what kind of circle the planets go round the star, determine type of planets, determine habitable zone, determine planet and type in habitable zone.

And that is gonna take quite some time for every system.
inane little opines
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

We aren't and never will look into "every system". The vast majority of planets have been found by the doppler method. Those telescopes were built for this job. It's not taking 'hundreds of hours' away from anything. There is no shortage of scientist willing to look into the sky neither or people volunteering to analyze data.

I still haven't heard a good reason to quit looking for them. Looking for other planets isn't stopping us from a mission to Europa or advances in other sciences. The knowledge we get from studying other planets helps us understand the Universe on the hole... It's creation, evolution, and it's fate. As far as interstellar travel.. I'm not going to say what we can and can't do in the future. But again, 'getting there' isn't the entire point of the research. Nor is finding and defining life.

Faster than light travel is impossible from what we know now.. as a matter of physics. It is the universal speed limit. However over time we may discover ways around it. There is a lot we still don't know when it comes to how the universe works. No one here has a crystal ball. But I will say, the so called impossible has been made possible time and time again through out human history. I see no reason to stop trying or learning.

I like how they're doing it with sattelites tbh.. simply using planets' gravity as a slingshot, some of those are going 50.000 km/h. It's free and works great.
Yea, the gravitational slingshot has been used since the mid-70's (Mariner 10). It's useful in exploring our local system. I don't think it will be enough on it's own to get us to interstellar travel.

some lulz I found..
https://imgur.com/rBObF.png
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5069|Ontario, Canada
Although the distance to that planet is immense, as kmar said, we have not by any chance discovered all the planets and solar systems in the galaxy, or universe, due to the vast amount. It's entirely possible that there is a closer solar system to us with the ability to host earth like life. And there is also the possibility that we might discover life that thrives in conditions we find hostile, with a different genetic makeup. It's very likely that the life we discover first will be very different from any we ever know. We probably won't find life we can relate to until we explore a planet with an earth like environment, like the one recently found.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6059|Vortex Ring State

Acerider wrote:

Although the distance to that planet is immense, as kmar said, we have not by any chance discovered all the planets and solar systems in the galaxy, or universe, due to the vast amount. It's entirely possible that there is a closer solar system to us with the ability to host earth like life. And there is also the possibility that we might discover life that thrives in conditions we find hostile, with a different genetic makeup. It's very likely that the life we discover first will be very different from any we ever know. We probably won't find life we can relate to until we explore a planet with an earth like environment, like the one recently found.
and that will be a great achievement.

Oh and gravitational slingshots are not REALLY free, they slow down the planet a fractional fractional fractional amount... Might be a problem if we start using it a LOT for very BIG ships
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6189|North Tonawanda, NY

Trotskygrad wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Oh and gravitational slingshots are not REALLY free, they slow down the planet a fractional fractional fractional amount... Might be a problem if we start using it a LOT for very BIG ships
Yes, but that concern is a lot like worrying that the core of the planet will cool significantly because people use geothermal energy.  The energy 'reservoir' is soooo big that you'd need some very VERY big ships.  Like,  within a few orders of magnitude of the planet's mass.  If mankind can manage to build even a 10^14 kg ship, about 10 orders of magnitude smaller in mass than the earth, I'd like to think we would have a better way to propel that ship than to leech orbital energy...lol

For reference, the ISS is about 10^5 kg, not that I am implying it will be the pinnacle of mankind's space engineering. 
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5069|Ontario, Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Acerider wrote:

Yes, but that concern is a lot like worrying that the core of the planet will cool significantly because people use geothermal energy.  The energy 'reservoir' is soooo big that you'd need some very VERY big ships.  Like,  within a few orders of magnitude of the planet's mass.  If mankind can manage to build even a 10^14 kg ship, about 10 orders of magnitude smaller in mass than the earth, I'd like to think we would have a better way to propel that ship than to leech orbital energy...lol

For reference, the ISS is about 10^5 kg, not that I am implying it will be the pinnacle of mankind's space engineering. 
Pinnacle of mankinds engineering?

https://www.physicsguides.com/images/deathstar.jpg

We'd also need to make sure our ships were light enough to be able to use a form of propulsion for steering.

Last edited by Acerider (2010-10-07 08:36:11)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6020|Places 'n such

Acerider wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

http://www.physicsguides.com/images/deathstar.jpg

We'd also need to make sure our ships were light enough to be able to use a form of propulsion for steering.
Combining that with my mental image for a gravitational slingshot is priceless.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6059|Vortex Ring State

presidentsheep wrote:

Acerider wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

http://www.physicsguides.com/images/deathstar.jpg

Combining that with my mental image for a gravitational slingshot is priceless.
yeah lol

also

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 … -john-goss

ASIAN CARP CZAR?
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5069|Ontario, Canada
"Hey, Czar Ivan The Terrible (To Carp), we have a carp problem. What do we do?"

"Poison!"
"Yay!"

Several problems with this. Firstly, they'll have to make a poison that can only kill carp.  The poison will have to be incredibly doctored until it only hurts systems found in Asian carp. Secondly, it is incredibly easy to mess up the poison and turn it into a substance that could also harm animals other than carp, and if they overlook one aspect of the poison, we'll be releasing toxins into our rivers, something we've spent decades trying to clean up. Thirdly, it'll take decades to clean up if this poison works not as intended. And finally, the cost of the poison and the cost of a possible clean up may end up far outweighing the damage done to our ecosystem by asian carp.

I know that, when it comes to invasive species, 90% of the time there is no easy or quick working solution. But in summary, poison may not be the best way. If the poison works in a way that it solely kills asian carp and effects nothing else, fine.

Though it would be hilarious if some carp got poisoned, swam into the atlantic, got eaten by a shark, then the shark got killed and scavenged by tiny crabs which were then eaten by a small fish which got eaten by a carp in asia, and then all the asian carp got infected and most died.

Then we'd have to invest money into protecting the asian carp in our waterways because theyd be the only ones left
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
Well, when they can work on that sea mussel infestation in the great lakes, then I will believe they can actually do something about the carp.  Until then, it'll probably be a spectacular waste of tax dollars.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5069|Ontario, Canada

SenorToenails wrote:

Well, when they can work on that sea mussel infestation in the great lakes, then I will believe they can actually do something about the carp.  Until then, it'll probably be a spectacular waste of tax dollars.
Canada I think has asian carp too. We'd probably also be dragged into this thing. Yeah, Senor, it'll probably end up in wasted tax dollars as usual.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Acerider wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Canada I think has asian carp too. We'd probably also be dragged into this thing. Yeah, Senor, it'll probably end up in wasted tax dollars as usual.
Uhh, you do realize that the asian carp is in the great lakes, of which 4 are shared between the US and Canada?  By definition, it's a shared problem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard