SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6189|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

people that keep raving on about these planets are fucking retarded

21st century space-science is apparently a polite term for 'complete fucking speculation'

i preferred it in the 1970's when all the sci-fi naivety was at least a little bit charming
Modern space science is FAR from 'complete fucking speculation'.  There is a lot that can be learned from various sensors and from what we already know, and then the layman-news tends to turn significant scientific discoveries into something that they just plain aren't.  Read Kmar's link, it puts this all into perspective of what is known and what isn't.

Astrophysics is a really interesting science, and it's truly amazing what can be learned from what seems like tiny bits of information.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6708

I don't understand why anyone cares that there's a habitable planet 20ly away. Even if we had the ability to travel at 99% of the speed of light, we would still never travel for that long to get there, so it's utterly pointless.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530

SenorToenails wrote:

Uzique wrote:

people that keep raving on about these planets are fucking retarded

21st century space-science is apparently a polite term for 'complete fucking speculation'

i preferred it in the 1970's when all the sci-fi naivety was at least a little bit charming
Modern space science is FAR from 'complete fucking speculation'.  There is a lot that can be learned from various sensors and from what we already know, and then the layman-news tends to turn significant scientific discoveries into something that they just plain aren't.  Read Kmar's link, it puts this all into perspective of what is known and what isn't.

Astrophysics is a really interesting science, and it's truly amazing what can be learned from what seems like tiny bits of information.
i dont care to read it because it's even more useless than lines of flowery verse and poetry

it has literally no use to human experience to know that there's a planet 17,000 years away that has a few bits of mould growing on it

great, Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me

now all we need is for h.g. wells and asimov to put their brains together and tell us how to go through a worm-hole and get there, right

brb smashing shit together using magnets underground for 25 years
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
Whether it is looking for other planets that could potentially support life or looking for the basis of matter itself, it adds to the human understanding of the world and the universe around us.  How does that not directly impact the 'human experience'?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
oh yeah great job guys we found an earth clone

everyone hop aboard the bus, we'll be there in about 2.3 million years

i hope the humans there have put the kettle on. gonna be dying for a cuppa by the end of that coachtrip.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Uzique wrote:

i hope the humans there have put the kettle on. gonna be dying for a cuppa by the end of that coachtrip.
Who said we should go there?  Mankind isn't ready for such spacetravel, at least, not with the current technology.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

It's not about getting there. Also, just because the planet is in the "habital zone" it does not mean the planet is habitable, or even very Earthlike.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Kmar wrote:

It's not about getting there. Also, just because the planet is in the "habital zone" it does not mean the planet is habitable, or even very Earthlike.
Bad Astronomy summed it up pretty nicely.  Too bad (?) he refuses to read it, lol
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
you're totally missing my point. i'm purposefully misunderstanding it. im being obtuse. it helps communicate the 'who gives a fuck?' factor.

say we conclusively prove that another planet has conditions that could lead to living organisms. so what?

oh right the bible nuts are disproved, empirically? that's good to know. now tell me something i can really benefit from.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6165|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

now tell me something i can really benefit from.
Says the literature student
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
The 'who gives a fuck factor' was quite obvious even without the dripping sarcasm.  If nothing else, this is knowledge for the sake of knowledge.  For much the same reason that people study all sorts of 'useless' things in science, the information and techniques developed to find it add to the overall sum of human knowledge.  This can only be a good thing.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
that's my entire point, you retard.

my first post said "some ornate flowery verse is even more important".

people here always seem so concerned with the 'use' of a subject. all these pragmatic engineers with their contempt and skepticism towards intellectual pursuits and wholly philosophical or abstract problems. but then as soon as their church of empirical, rational science goes into the realms of the abstract and theoretical... oh no! it's still very important and very worthy. what's the difference between all this astrophysical bullshit about multiverses and plato sitting around on his ass all day stroking his beard? not much more use.

so once again i ask: why should i give a shit if some little ball of luck was kissed by the grace of probability and given life, too? it means nothing to me, gives us no benefit, and rewards us with no particular insight other than what the laws of rational thought and logic already inform us. i don't need to see a picture of a planet that can support life to know that, for all mathematical probability, there are plenty of other earth-like planets out there.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

We are explorers by nature. One day .. many many years from now we may will have to colonize other planets. What seems impossible today might not be impossible tomorrow. In the future we may find ways around the universal speed limit.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
sorry kmar but that's very faust of you. very self-important and arrogant.

one day? we'll die out and we'll be wiped out by some benign, indifferent natural phenomenon.

the belief that we WILL colonize other planets is just that: a sci-fi belief, a pipedream; some vain projection of our need to survive and continue.

we won't. we'll die out. we're stuck here. we're not gonna invent wormholes to shoot down to another solar system to get our groceries.

here's a nice little quote from the lit student:

"O what a world of profit and delight, of power, of honour, and omnipotence is promis'd to the studious artisan!"
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Uzique wrote:

that's my entire point, you retard.

my first post said "some ornate flowery verse is even more important".

people here always seem so concerned with the 'use' of a subject. all these pragmatic engineers with their contempt and skepticism towards intellectual pursuits and wholly philosophical or abstract problems. but then as soon as their church of empirical, rational science goes into the realms of the abstract and theoretical... oh no! it's still very important and very worthy. what's the difference between all this astrophysical bullshit about multiverses and plato sitting around on his ass all day stroking his beard? not much more use.

so once again i ask: why should i give a shit if some little ball of luck was kissed by the grace of probability and given life, too? it means nothing to me, gives us no benefit, and rewards us with no particular insight other than what the laws of rational thought and logic already inform us. i don't need to see a picture of a planet that can support life to know that, for all mathematical probability, there are plenty of other earth-like planets out there.
'retard'?  Nicely done.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
it was directed at dilbert. sorry but if you evidently cant read the one simple point at hand... you're a retard.

i made it very explicit that im skeptical about all this grandiose abstract science bullshit when people call other similarly intangible pursuits a 'waste'.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

sorry kmar but that's very faust of you. very self-important and arrogant.

one day? we'll die out and we'll be wiped out by some benign, indifferent natural phenomenon.

the belief that we WILL colonize other planets is just that: a sci-fi belief, a pipedream; some vain projection of our need to survive and continue.

we won't. we'll die out. we're stuck here. we're not gonna invent wormholes to shoot down to another solar system to get our groceries.

here's a nice little quote from the lit student:

"O what a world of profit and delight, of power, of honour, and omnipotence is promis'd to the studious artisan!"
Both you and I are sharing opinions. Mine has a benefit .. some of them are relatively immediate.

We simply don't know what the far reaching benefits will be..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
mine has a benefit, too: know the limits of human reach and focus on what you CAN do

my argument is there's about as much use as funding public art as there is in funding this theoretical, abstract science
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Uzique wrote:

it was directed at dilbert. sorry but if you evidently cant read the one simple point at hand... you're a retard.

i made it very explicit that im skeptical about all this grandiose abstract science bullshit when people call other similarly intangible pursuits a 'waste'.
lol, ok.  Make all the assumptions you want--afterall, this is the internet.  srs bizness
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6726

Uzique wrote:

mine has a benefit, too: know the limits of human reach and focus on what you CAN do

my argument is there's about as much use as funding public art as there is in funding this theoretical, abstract science
Know the limits of human reach?  Well, better stop using that computer, because man was never meant to go into space according to your stance.  For that matter, never take a flight, for man was never meant to fly.

Seriously, who are you to say what the limits of human reach are?  Space suits today allow us to reach the moon.  Someday, spacecrafts will take man to Mars and the moons of Jupiter.  At some point, we'll develop technology that will make chemical and even ion propulsion obsolete. And the technology for the human body to handle the gravitational forces related to those currently unreachable speeds.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
make sure you send me a note by carrier pigeon when we figure out how to travel 40 light-years to a planet
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

Short answer: Having a deep understanding of the physics of the universe allows engineers to make fun stuff like internetz and iPhones, and potentially solve tricky problems like fusion power.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6660|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

Why is it necessary to abandon the search for earth-like planets? The funding and attention to the cosmos is peanuts compared to other projects. However, it is important to put these discoveries in perspective. When they say "important discovery" they are talking about answering questions that we have. It's not going to change your immediate life. Admittedly there is a bit of sensationalism going on. For instance the need to put a picture with every story (they are actually using a drawing from 2007). I guess the fact that we saw a slight variation in a star orbit (Doppler method) isn't interesting enough on it's own.

Modern Medicine owes a lot to these cosmic endeavours (see the above posted link^).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

I already know what I can do, its what I can't do thats interesting.
Theoretical abstract science has delivered an immense amount to the progress of humanity, study of literature written decades or centuries ago - barely.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard