uziq
+492|3422
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … ium=social

Pfizer, Astra Shots Keep Delta Patients Out of Hospitals
England findings show strong protection after two doses
Scottish research finds vaccines work against mutation

dilbert: the VacciNes don'T work, i'll never get one, BaN INdians from white AUStralia!!!!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I refuse to use the Delta, Echo, whatever terminology for these COVID strains. I know there was an issue of people using country named variants to promote racism but I don't feel like having to Google where a variant is predominant because we gave them an euphemism.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
because ‘the india variant’ is really a useful designation to know where a virus is prevalent or surging, isn’t it?

it’s surging in western europe now. would you know that by its name?

i guess you’d have to use … google to find out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm all for it. Assigning a country adjective isn't always helpful, or even accurate.

e: Spain did some gnarly stuff in history, but did they really deserve a flu named after them when it was first found in Kansas?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

because ‘the india variant’ is really a useful designation to know where a virus is prevalent or surging, isn’t it?

it’s surging in western europe now. would you know that by its name?

i guess you’d have to use … google to find out.
'The India Variant is now in Western Europe' explains more info than "The Delta Variant is now in Western Europe'.
uziq
+492|3422
it really doesn’t. where a variant was first detected does not really have much bearing on a fast-changing global epidemiological crisis.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

And where a variant was first detected doesn't mean that's where it came into being. It's not a helpful descriptor at all, mac.
Larssen
+99|1858
This classification makes it easier to keep track of and categorise virus mutations. I suppose it will be standardised in the future as an addition to the scientific designations.
uziq
+492|3422
variants are already classified by a scientific system. this is just press release/WHO type stuff.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

'The India Variant is now in Western Europe' explains more info than "The Delta Variant is now in Western Europe'.
Just wait for the Paki variant
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
does it suck being a man nearing 50 who still desperately wants attention?

oh the schoolboy said a naughty word!
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n14 … elding-rod

v good stuff on green energy industry.

The CS Wind story is one of politicians and electorates in wealthy countries trying to reconcile the irreconcilable goals of cheap green energy, free trade and secure, well-paid green energy jobs for their own workers. There’s something more unsettling involved too: an inspiring, utopian, internationalist movement to save humanity from climate emergency comes across a once inspiring, once utopian, once internationalist movement to save humanity from capitalist exploitation, and walks on by.
worth the read.
Larssen
+99|1858
It's a huge article so I didn't read all of it, but the story seems to be one that's true in any industry. It's also slightly ironic that wind turbines are being shipped halfway across the world to contribute to green energy production here. Defeats the point somewhat.
uziq
+492|3422
yes it does. i think the proximity of capitalist critique with green energy is what makes it a particularly good take. if any industry should think about overhauling the global labour market, or raising the possibility of vertical state-led investment and infrastructure, then the green revolution is it.
Larssen
+99|1858
It's true but the logic of the capitalist market place in a world divided in nation states just makes it so that the green energy sector too to will be subjected to price competition. The lofty idea of a global union is never going to happen. The global tax rate agreement that the g7 reached was in itself already ground breaking. In the current system it would take a century or so for more to happen than the bare minimum that common national interests can muster.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
An issue with wind turbines is they use Sulphur Hexafluoride in the protection breakers, which could easily undo all the benefits.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SF6 is the most potent greenhouse gas that has been evaluated, with a global warming potential of 23,900 times that of CO2 when compared over a 100-year period.
There's no joined up thinking anywhere.
Larssen
+99|1858
I reckon that's probably the least of our concerns.

What troubles me is that the climate conscious movement is increasingly manifesting as some sort of utopian cocoon held together by wishful thinking, a desire for collective self-flagellation and a good dose of scandinavian shame projection on people's individual habits. As a cultural movement it's also predominantly white & middle-upper class. We're going to save the world!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But won't it be great having a huge population and everyone living on termite larvae as they lie in an induced coma for fear of creating excess CO2 by moving or thinking.

The real problem is population growth.

But yeah, the idea we can solve it with reusable straws and knitting our own shopping bags is laughable.

I'm sure I've said it before, a family friend thought she was saving the planet by making a 100 mile round trip in her Range Rover to buy a box of organic eggs.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-07-12 04:52:39)

uziq
+492|3422
i know stupid people and have a stupid anecdote, therefore we are all doomed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If we want a reasonable quality of life we need to limit the population to within the capacity of the planet to sustain.

Even if we build a Dyson sphere it will reach its limit at some point, and won't matter as the water table will be long exhausted and the termites will have tired of delivering their young.

All the future wars will be about resources, we could avoid all of them.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-07-12 05:09:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i know stupid people and have a stupid anecdote, therefore we are all doomed.
Stupid people are stupid and thats at least half the population, maybe nearer 75%.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sure I've said it before, a family friend thought she was saving the planet by making a 100 mile round trip in her Range Rover to buy a box of organic eggs.
That sounds fairly GG/early boomer. I knew people that would cross the state just to buy Seattle bread.

I go off of cornucopia.org's scorecards (https://www.cornucopia.org/scorecard/eggs/) and summaries. It's probably nicer to buy eggs from a farmer that doesn't pack hens into cages like sardines, melt their beaks off, drop-kick animals, or boil live, bleeding chickens to remove their feathers.

You'd be surprised at some of the stuff that goes on at some "organic" farms.

re: population, it would be nice if certain churches stopped preaching against contraceptives. but it would also be nice if certain countries stopped polluting and emitting unnecessary quantities of garbo into the oceans and atmosphere.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Regarding organic eggs, I someday want to go to the U.K. and try the special milk they have there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Island_milk

If I was rich enough, I would take a trip to the U.K. to try the milk and get bananas thrown at me. Such is English custom.
uziq
+492|3422
nobody in the UK cares about channel island milk. do you know how far the channel islands are from your average brit?

devon and the west country makes great enough dairy.

re: banana throwing, all football fan groups are endemically racist. that's because it's a proletarian sport for lower-class pigmen. this whole idea that britain is unique for racist fans is funny. you do know that italy has domestic football clubs which are basically fascist bastions? you do know that football fandom and fan 'units' overlap with neo-nazis in most of central and eastern europe, right?

the whole political reading of football this last tournament was nothing short of funny. typical liberal commentariat nonsense.

if a few baseball players took a knee and wore a rainbow armband, would it fix the unreconstructed views of every baseball fan?

Last edited by uziq (2021-07-12 17:04:54)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I like baseball. It's a simple sport. Hit a ball with a stick and then run in a circle.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard