uziq
+492|3444
i think you need to get a life, in the nicest sense of the word. you're pinning all your self-image on this idea that you're a dashing brave heroic engineer. you are a twerp whose job is no more stressful or life-and-death than about 200 others.

once again, i'm glad to work in an industry that produces knowledge, art, or just entertainment. it is literally a pleasure. but then again my self-worth and notions of 'manliness' and 'heroism' aren't tied into my industry. you seem to want engineers to be the master-architects of society and the political leaders, too. you are very confused and a bit of an emotional cripple, if i'm honest.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-17 17:43:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Thanks, if I need psychoanalysis I'll most likely go to someone who has some expertise, training or experience though.

Probably not a frustrated artist.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
who is a frustrated artist? are you a frustrated designer?
uziq
+492|3444
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Well we heard it here first. Engineers don't adhere to standards or knowledge like other intellectually puny professions beneath it. Each new thing built starts at the stone age, and works its way up from there reinventing mechanics and theory from scratch.

Also, being a nurse is like building a patio.

The arrogance.

I wonder how many times tradesmen have had to correct utterly inane BS from architects and engineers who worked off of (or drew up) incorrect site plans.
uziq
+492|3444
i think his point is that they're kept to extra-special standards because every decision they make saves or costs the lives of millions of people.

engineers are blameless when these standards aren't met: it's managers, money men, humanities graduates, etc.

the pressure of conforming to standards weighs on the pure engineers' souls so much, in fact, many of them go mad and must be committed.

it's a tragedy, no other profession involves risks to human life or responsibility for one's work.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
When was the last time you took a life or death decision?

Who do you think writes standards?

Do you think conforming to a standard means a product is 100% safe and reliable?

You have no clue of what you're talking about.
Once again reality and your boy-in-the-bubble view of the world don't intersect.
uziq
+492|3444
did i claim to? no. but your special pleading for the unique plight of engineers is tedious. they can fuck up and cut corners and be unethical, like anyone else in any other industry. you are endlessly self-exculpatory.

and lots of other careers are far more dangerous, more risky, involve more direct threats to life (including the lives of the employee). you don't get anywhere near the same hero worship. you seem to think being an engineer is like being at the vanguard of humanity. it's fucking embarrassing how much of your own self-worth (or rather insecurities) are tied up in your career. it's almost as if it's the only thing in your life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Most of my real achievements have been well outside engineering, but anyway.

Its tiresome when nobodies ridicule the people who have given humanity pretty well every advance in history - via their smartphone and the internet.
The irony is killing.

Everyone makes mistakes, bad decisions etc. There are few people whose mistakes have worse consequences.

Next time you're publishing a tome why not approach if the way an engineer has to?

Every line, word, letter, punctuation mark etc has to be perfect, with no grammatical errors or ambiguities, not a single misplaced drop of ink or 300 people will die in a fireball.
Out of a print run of 10 million you can't have a single book with a loose page, a single page with a tear, nick, crease or spot of glue, or a family of four will finish upside down in a ditch or smacked into a wall.
You need to make sure no person in the supply chain, from tree to bookstore, can negatively impact the final product, whether or not they're stupid, inept, malicious, bolshy or just not there when they should be, or a ship will sink or a building will burn down.

Maybe it would put your lazy hipster lifestyle into a bit of perspective.
uziq
+492|3444
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/bf/3c/64bf3ce50fe32da5083a5ba5a6013280.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
it's amazing how 'has an engineering degree' means you can take credit for inventing smartphones, the internet, jetliners, and presumably HVAC systems too.

finally the mystery of abiogenesis has been solved: it was an engineer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Next time you're publishing a tome why not approach if the way an engineer has to?

Every line, word, letter, punctuation mark etc has to be perfect, with no grammatical errors or ambiguities, not a single misplaced drop of ink or 300 people will die in a fireball.
Out of a print run of 10 million you can't have a single book with a loose page, a single page with a tear, nick, crease or spot of glue, or a family of four will finish upside down in a ditch or smacked into a wall.
You need to make sure no person in the supply chain, from tree to bookstore, can negatively impact the final product, whether or not they're stupid, inept, malicious, bolshy or just not there when they should be, or a ship will sink or a building will burn down.

Maybe it would put your lazy hipster lifestyle into a bit of perspective.
What the heck is this? A book is not a Ford Pinto. This is worse than your testicles analogy.

Speaking of Pintos, why did it take so much muckraking to expose the inner workings of Ford, when the company, the money men, and the engineers that worked there were aware of the grievous issue. If engineers stress out over fractions of a percent well within material tolerances, why weren't they screaming about this to every reporter they could find.
uziq
+492|3444
plus planes and other highly complex and high-risk designs have fail-safes, redundancies, etc (much like a book will be copy-edited and proofread by multiple editors). it's not like one single mistake by one single engineer results in the entire plane combusting. for a plane to go off the production line with serious design flaws means a widespread and total failure at the company ... almost like exactly what the congressional report said, implicating people at every level in the organisation. engineers included.

as for 'everything must be exactly perfect or your ass is toast': this is also disingenuous bunkum. a lot of engineering is about getting things to within tolerable limits, not seeking absolute perfection in the physical solutions. engineering is 'good enough within the spec', not experimental physics. his analogy totally fails.

not sure why he's talking about misplaced ink and printing. that's what printers do. it's not my job to glue book spines together. he seems confused.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-19 17:54:47)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I've got a bone to pick with the engineers who designed literally every printer I've ever owned.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
A lot of emphasis seems to be given to engineers for things that don't seem to be their job in that example. If I think about my own work in the pharmaceutical industry, which as its own life-or-death consequences, the multiple types of engineers have their roles to contribute, but there's a lot of other necessary personnel to ensure things turn out well.
uziq
+492|3444
dilbert has been self-aggrandising engineers as the heroes-of-the-universe for the last 15 years on this forum. it's beyond a meme.

all you have to do is prod him and he starts splooging out quality content about humanities vampires and hipsters.

the man sits in front of a lathe and rotates nuts and bolts in a CAD program and conflates himself with tim berners-lee and the pioneers of the apollo space program.

love to see it etc etc.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LMAO Anyway

You don't find it funny that people still think the pyramids must have been built by aliens or gods when it fact it was probably a fairly average jobbing engineer and some labourers?
uziq
+492|3444
what a staggering argument for the god-like powers of engineers.

who are these 'people', by the way? the same who think there are UFOs at roswell and that there's a secret hole to the centre of the earth? who gives a fuck?

it's completely historically illiterate to claim that the pyramids were constructed by an 'engineer'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure it wasn't done by musicians.
uziq
+492|3444
you have no idea how egyptians conceived of knowledge, what our resident philosopher larssen would call their 'episteme', their framework and way of even viewing/organizing the world. to say that egyptians had 'scientists' and technicians like 'engineers' is ignorant beyond all belief. even civilizations like the ancient greeks, who are modern compared to pyramid-era egypt, did not divide their 'scientific' activity from cosmological beliefs in a (god-populated) universe/world, or from beliefs in temple healing, rituals, and things akin to magic, really. what sort of 'engineers' believe in household gods and the transmutation of matter? how many engineers would have a numerological relationship to numbers like pythagoras?

also you're just so fucking funny. not only are you an historically illiterate moron, you make no sense even in your own statements.

dilbert: abrahamic world religions are evil, they are medieval cults keeping us all in the dark ages. they have contributed nothing to the world in their 2500 years of existence.

also dilbert: wow cool! ancient egypt had engineers! what an amazing human achievement these people made, who diverted huge amounts of their national wealth and effort, keeping a large population of slaves, towards building elaborate tombs for leaders they worshipped as magical gods! they buried living people and valuables in their well-designed tombs with the dead leaders! these people were so smart! really smart! the smartest!

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-21 03:00:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Have any of the Abrahamic cults built anything comparable with the pyramids?

Just think where we'd be if the jews had stopped whining and got on with it.

For a start we'd have more pyramids.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Goodness gracious, just stop talking about ancient Egypt. Such a weird thing to bring up in a positive light when groaning about faith-based tyranny or whatever, and you've already expressed high disdain for history anyway.
uziq
+492|3444
erm are you even familiar with the 'wonders of the world', dilbert? they precisely belong to a pre-christian, pagan age; the 'ancient' world. hence pyramids and temples.

what did christian, jewish and muslim 'engineers' come up with as equivalents? erm, cathedrals, mosques, synagogues? or if you want to make claims for the societies as a whole, wasn't da vinci a 'christian engineer'?

the reason synagogues are more modest is intrinsically tied into the idea of jewish worship: it can be done anywhere, even in the home. it is a set of family practices more than a monolithic form of worship, as with the ancient egyptians' cosmos.

jews have already contributed immense amounts to the history of logic, mathematics, physics, as well as the other sister sciences and philosophy. jews literally inaugurated our modern era of thinking: relativity, nuclear physics, the logical scaffold around the incompleteness theorems.

i get the feeling you're sentimental about ancient egypt's own brand of religious quackery only because they worshipped cats. you are a deeply strange man. and you need to read some fucking books.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-21 03:14:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

what did christian, jewish and muslim 'engineers' come up with as equivalents? erm, cathedrals, mosques, synagogues?
Still nothing really comparable with Stonehenge.

they worshipped cats
Maybe they were onto something.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Supposedly there was a booming side business in raising cats specifically to mummify and sell to the pious.

Sounds nice...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard