Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6553|San Diego, CA, USA
Transparent Aluminum (been around for a while but this is the first I've seen of it):

https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1756/transparentaluminum.jpg
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6004|Vortex Ring State
seems like there's 2 types of transparent aluminum...

Actual Transparent Aluminum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_aluminium

and Aluminum Oxynitride

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

looks like you're talking about ALON
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5363|London, England

Trotskygrad wrote:

and Aluminum Oxynitride

Transparent aluminium is a state of aluminium achieved by bombarding a thin (50 nm) Al foil with soft X-ray laser radiation (wavelength 13.5 nm). The short laser pulse knocks out a core L-shell electron from every aluminium atom without breaking the crystalline structure of the metal making it transparent to soft X-rays of the same wavelength.[1] This phenomenon is called saturable absorption. The thus produced transient state of aluminium is as dense as ordinary matter but can only exist for an extremely short period of time, as the energy required to maintain the high temperature which would be necessary to hold it in this state would be enormous. To create transparent aluminium, more power than is used by an entire city had to be focused into a dot with a diameter of less than one-twentieth the thickness of a human hair, and then could only maintain the transparent state for 40 femtoseconds.
LOL.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6135|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

and Aluminum Oxynitride

Transparent aluminium is a state of aluminium achieved by bombarding a thin (50 nm) Al foil with soft X-ray laser radiation (wavelength 13.5 nm). The short laser pulse knocks out a core L-shell electron from every aluminium atom without breaking the crystalline structure of the metal making it transparent to soft X-rays of the same wavelength.[1] This phenomenon is called saturable absorption. The thus produced transient state of aluminium is as dense as ordinary matter but can only exist for an extremely short period of time, as the energy required to maintain the high temperature which would be necessary to hold it in this state would be enormous. To create transparent aluminium, more power than is used by an entire city had to be focused into a dot with a diameter of less than one-twentieth the thickness of a human hair, and then could only maintain the transparent state for 40 femtoseconds.
LOL.
Gotta love that...'More power than used by an entire city' makes it sounds like a crapload of energy, when in reality the energy was only used at that rate for probably not much longer than that 40 femtoseconds...40x10^-15 seconds.  I wonder how many joules that actually was, lol.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

and Aluminum Oxynitride

LOL.
Gotta love that...'More power than used by an entire city' makes it sounds like a crapload of energy, when in reality the energy was only used at that rate for probably not much longer than that 40 femtoseconds...40x10^-15 seconds.  I wonder how many joules that actually was, lol.
I'm surprised the green police didn't cry.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6679|Canberra, AUS

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

and Aluminum Oxynitride

LOL.
I seriously doubt you'd get a single joule out of that...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Eh, more 'power' is used than that on a fairly regular basis in high energy physics.  Since power is just the energy used per unit time, if the energy is used over an insanely short period of time, then the power is going to be huge...but it's not sustained usage.

Take, for example, the Omega Laser at University of Rochester's LLE, which can use 40,000 joules in 1x10-9 seconds...which leads to a 40 petawatt laser.  zomg!  That's 8000 times the power usage of NYC in 2001!  And yet, the actual energy used was only 40000 J. 
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Eh, more 'power' is used than that on a fairly regular basis in high energy physics.  Since power is just the energy used per unit time, if the energy is used over an insanely short period of time, then the power is going to be huge...but it's not sustained usage.

Take, for example, the Omega Laser at University of Rochester's LLE, which can use 40,000 joules in 1x10-9 seconds...which leads to a 40 petawatt laser.  zomg!  That's 8000 times the power usage of NYC in 2001!  And yet, the actual energy used was only 40000 J. 
<-- EE major
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

<-- EE major
I know you know, but that was to benefit the rest of the class! 
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

<-- EE major
I know you know, but that was to benefit the rest of the class! 
I'm just trying to wrap my head around how large the capacitors would have to be.
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how large the capacitors would have to be.
Unfortunately, I never got to take the tour that the LLE had when I was an undergrad there...but they do have a huge bank of them.  Check it out!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Unfortunately, I never got to take the tour that the LLE had when I was an undergrad there...but they do have a huge bank of them.  Check it out!
That's like my wet dream...
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

What is 40,000 Joules anyway. Give us some comparisons. Oh wait, I found one from wiki

3.8×10^4 J ...the energy released by the metabolism of one gram of fat - It's about the same as the KE of twelve 7.62 NATO rounds at muzzle velocity. Didn't realise fat was so ......what's the word, energy good......storage.......battery, thing. Dense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(energy)

Except it was all in some ridiculously small time, I think that's impressive on its own. That they can do anything for such a short amount of time
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Mekstizzle wrote:

What is 40,000 Joules anyway. Give us some comparisons. Oh wait, I found one from wiki

3.8×10^4 J ...the energy released by the metabolism of one gram of fat - It's about the same as the KE of twelve 7.62 NATO rounds at muzzle velocity. Didn't realise fat was so ......what's the word, energy good......storage.......battery, thing. Dense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(energy)

Except it was all in some ridiculously small time, I think that's impressive on its own. That they can do anything for such a short amount of time
One pound of human fat is ~3500kCal (or 3500 US food calories), so about 15 megajoules of stored energy.  That's a good amount of energy!
Trotskygrad
бля
this got me thinking about electric reactive armor again

but then again, not really sure how this is supposed to work...

http://it.vibe.co.uk/technology/2003/12 … ic-armour/
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721

Harmor wrote:

Transparent Aluminum (been around for a while but this is the first I've seen of it):

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1756 … uminum.jpg
japanese cans have used those for quite a while. they were weird when i first had that same drink in the pic. thought it was aluminum on top and hard plastic =/
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Interesting how this company allows you to take a photo with your phone of someone's driver license and then text the driver of that car:

Scan Someone's License Plate and Message Them Instantly with New Bump App

Is this an example of too much technology?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Harmor wrote:

Interesting how this company allows you to take a photo with your phone of someone's driver license and then text the driver of that car:

I assume they volunteer in .. It's a good example of how to get in a wreck.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5242|Cleveland, Ohio

Harmor wrote:

this is not science this is just plain stupid and dangerous and should not be allowed.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-09-18 10:27:16)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6679|Canberra, AUS

11 Bravo wrote:

Harmor wrote:

this is not science this is just plain stupid and dangerous and should not be allowed.
basically this...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
What is pulling on Pioneer 10? 

A Mysterious Force Is Pulling Pioneer 10 Back Toward the Sun.

Looks like the space craft is slowing down by 6mph every century and scientists don't know why.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5966|Places 'n such

Harmor wrote:

What is pulling on Pioneer 10? 

A Mysterious Force Is Pulling Pioneer 10 Back Toward the Sun.

Looks like the space craft is slowing down by 6mph every century and scientists don't know why.
God.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5264|foggy bottom
tractor beam
Tu Stultus Es
Trotskygrad
бля
dark eneeeeeeeeergy

that's what we should sue to explain everything.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Look closely and you will see a worm in a man's eye:

https://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4439/wormineyeball.jpg

The worm was killed with a laser.  The man watched the worm dodge the laser several times before the doctor killed it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard