Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
Need a national US bank recommendation. I use PNC right now which has great interest rates for their savings accounts but has very few ATMs and branches (around here it's ok, but nationwide I don't think they have anything west of Missouri or something).

-Shouldn't have a monthly fee
-Should have lots of ATMs
-Decent interest rate for savings (My PNC savings is 1.35% APY... I found a Citibank savings for .9% APY, but their checking has a monthly fee)
-No shady dealings (e.g. handling the order of transactions funny so you always get nailed with an overdraft fee even if you deposit money right after you overdraft)

Suggestions? Like I said, Citibank seems OK except for that monthly fee bullshit which would be fine if I had lots of money and met their balance minimum. Bank of America meets the ATMs requirement, but I hate their business practices and their interest rates SUCK.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
get into a credit union or local bank. stay away from the big ones.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-03-11 14:00:24)

Tu Stultus Es
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6596|Seattle

Well, I hate them, but Bank of America just dropped their overdraft charges on debit cards.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom

King_County_Downy wrote:

Well, I hate them, but Bank of America just dropped their overdraft charges on debit cards.
I also thought that means they are dropping overdraft for everything except automated bills pays and allotments
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
whatever you do dont get wachovia.  fuck no.  fuck that.
Tu Stultus Es
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6731|St. Andrews / Oslo

wait, can you not use other ATMs than the bank's own?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6567|Mountains of NC

Jenspm wrote:

you can but they hit you with a fee -- sometimes $1.50 - $2.00
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

Jenspm wrote:

usually for a fee - it has to be part of a system.

and, in before ATG rails against banks    . . .
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5249

eleven bravo wrote:

why? ive had them for a while with no problems
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5998|The Mitten

SEREMAKER wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

you can but they hit you with a fee -- sometimes $1.50 - $2.00
I've got $3.00 fees here.

Sucks.
EE (hats
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

eleven bravo wrote:

Lai
+186|6150

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Need a national US bank recommendation. I use PNC right now which has great interest rates for their savings accounts but has very few ATMs and branches (around here it's ok, but nationwide I don't think they have anything west of Missouri or something).

-Shouldn't have a monthly fee
-Should have lots of ATMs
-Decent interest rate for savings (My PNC savings is 1.35% APY... I found a Citibank savings for .9% APY, but their checking has a monthly fee)
-No shady dealings (e.g. handling the order of transactions funny so you always get nailed with an overdraft fee even if you deposit money right after you overdraft)

Suggestions? Like I said, Citibank seems OK except for that monthly fee bullshit which would be fine if I had lots of money and met their balance minimum. Bank of America meets the ATMs requirement, but I hate their business practices and their interest rates SUCK.
Just get a bank with a monthly fee. You pay several dollars a month (véry véry rarely more than 10$, unless you're going Swiss), for a bit of extra service, and with a higher interest rate you'll earn in back pretty quickly too.

Other than that the safest bank to store your money in these times is probably the one you buy at IKEA.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6567|Mountains of NC

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

left them .. long time ago

had my checking account and savings account ............... was moving some money around and pulled some money from the savings and it dipped under $500 ........ come to find out if you go under $500 on a savings account they will penalize you ( at the time )
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6365|California
I use BoA
I don't really know anything about it, just that I have an account and I just put money into saving
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom

SEREMAKER wrote:

whaaaaaaaaaat wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

left them .. long time ago

had my checking account and savings account ............... was moving some money around and pulled some money from the savings and it dipped under $500 ........ come to find out if you go under $500 on a savings account they will penalize you ( at the time )
also last year I was making about 400-500 every paycheck.  I was struggling to pay for bills, rent and my habits.   The way wachovia would deduct money from my account was rediculous.  My biggest gripe with them would be how they were so inconsistent with posting checkings and deducting balances they would KILL me with overdraft fees.  Im talking about 30 dollars for dipping under a few cents for some 99 cent jack in box tacos.   granted, it was my fault in the end for not being more responsible but what killed me was when they deducted all these bills I had one time, i had the cash but they decided to give me an overdraft fee before they deducted money and then that put me a couple dollars in the negative which gave me another 30 dollar fee, which put me account even more in the overdraft which they made another deduction when the other half of the bills that need to be payed finally cleared even though i had enough had they not wrongly taken a fee.  I complained and told em about how I was going to report em to the BBB and the next day those fuckers not only returned all those fees from the current month, they gave me back $150 in fees from the month before which just tells me they know that they are shady.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
and they didnt return my ATM rebate for two months until i asked them about it.  Then when i asked they deducted a $97 check i wrote a month prior and returned my 6 dollars in rebate.
Tu Stultus Es
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6715
Wachovia does suck,
They charge 5 dollars(they couldn't explain why) to cash a check that i received from a company that has an account there.
They needed a fingerprint also... for a 200 dollar check.     

My bank, Middleburg bank is a small bank that you walk in
and they sit you in a chair and you can watch tv or read the newspaper.
A minute or so later they walk up to you and hand you your paperwork and money.
No 5 dollar fee and no fingerprint or sperm sample. lol
Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

eleven bravo wrote:

eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
fuck wachovia.  seriously.  Ive been putting all my money in my TDAMERITRADE account.
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I'll look into the credit unions. AFAIK the only good one I can get into here would be PenFed... I'd love to have USAA or Navy Federal, I hear they're the shit. We used to have a big local bank, Chevy Chase Bank, but it's owned by Capital One now which can't be good.

@KCD is that seriously true?

@GS yeah, that was the same shit that BofA gave me. I'd be near the negatives, deposit some money, buy something, and it would put me in the negative because my deposit hadn't actually posted. So fucking stupid.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

USAA is great if you meet their membership requirements. Otherwise, I'd go for a CU.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6596|Seattle

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'll look into the credit unions. AFAIK the only good one I can get into here would be PenFed... I'd love to have USAA or Navy Federal, I hear they're the shit. We used to have a big local bank, Chevy Chase Bank, but it's owned by Capital One now which can't be good.

@KCD is that seriously true?

@GS yeah, that was the same shit that BofA gave me. I'd be near the negatives, deposit some money, buy something, and it would put me in the negative because my deposit hadn't actually posted. So fucking stupid.
I read it somewhere on the interwebs so it must be true.

That's one of the reasons I left them too. I paid out my ass in overdraft fees when it was their slow fucking system that caused me to overdraft in the first place. The last straw was when they raised those fees to $35 fucking dollars. I said no more and have never looked back... until now.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I just checked their site. Apparently if it's under $10 overdraft they won't charge... I guess that's better.

Anyone know anything about Ally bank? They seem to have pretty good reviews, and their checking accounts seem good. .5% interest rate for a balance under $15K, 1.15% over $15K. Overdraft fee is 9 bucks, no monthly maintenance. They're online, but they refund any bank's ATM fees. Their online savings is 1.29% with no minimum balance. And it's FDIC insured.
Commie Killer
+192|6386

eleven bravo wrote:

13/f/taiwan
+940|5698
Why stay away from the big ones?

I have 4k in my bank account. I'm currently with Chase, they gave me a free 5 year student account. Should I move it somewhere else? I make no interest off of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard