Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

You'd be well into a six figure salary then, yeah?
Easy, yeah. Nice springboard into owning your own construction firm too, and that means millions.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6582

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Why go to college rdx-fx? I have no idea what I want to do later in life. I enjoyed studying computer science. I'd build computers, install them, customize their settings with file sharing and tons of other things, did some network engineering, cabling the network cables, terminating them, programming in C, learned XHTML and CSS, did photoshop, etc. I enjoyed all that but I really don't want a job where I'm stuck in a freaking cubicle all day long.

The military is really appealing to me because it's most often outdoors, I get to get dirty, blow crap up, know that I'm serving my country, etc. It's not sitting in a freaking office typing away at a keyboard where I don't feel productive. Maybe do some construction or something.

Basically, I want to choose a career path that will keep me from sitting behind a desk 6 days a week. I still want to be able to afford a family though. I don't want to barely get by and live paycheck to paycheck but I don't want to study 4-8 years and drive a porshe. My plan was join Marines @ 18, do college whilst in the Marines, preferably that computer science even though I'd be in a desk later, and then after 8 years or so resign and do whatever. I thought the military was a good kick-start.

Right now I can join the Army. I spoke with their recruiters and they said I could basically enlist right now if I wanted to (and insisted I do right then). I'd rather be a Marine though.
Obviously, it's your life.

Everyone I know that's gone into the military, as enlisted, has had to start over from scratch in a new career, once they got out of the military.
Even 20+ year SF veterans.
(I know a few of them.  To a man, they'd spend another 20-30 years in, if it weren't for all the accumulated damage to their bodies from the last 20-30 years. Arthritis from sleeping in the wet, cold woods - torn up joints from carrying 150 lbs rucksacks all over hell and back - sore bones from breaks and fractures that never quite healed up properly - etc)
If Jay thinks going to college 4 years older than everyone else is a pain, imagine starting a new career at 38.
Or going to college at 38.

If you really think you may enjoy a career in the military, get your bachelors degree, then go in as an officer.
Enlisted career, you are done when your body decides you can't keep up with the 20-something kids anymore.
Officer career, the physical demands on the older officers aren't necessarily as bad - you can stay in as long as your mind decides you want to.
Enlisted - you're done when your body gives out.
Officer - you're done when your mind decides it's time to quit.

If IT/IS, programming and electronics are interesting to you, and your Dad will pay for a full degree, go get a degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering (EE - chip design, circuitry, low level programming in C/Assembly, etc).
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5692|College Park, MD
Shifty i'd recommend listening to the guys like Jay and rdx. Structural engineering is a good choice. Virginia Tech has a Construction Engineering and Management major. You'd be able to join the military after college (you could even do ROTC or, at VTech, the Corps of Cadets + ROTC) but also have that flexibility in the civilian sector once/if you leave the military.

In fact I'd highly recommend VT's Corps of Cadets program... you'd get a very military experience while also earning your degree.

http://www.mlsoc.vt.edu/
http://www.vtcc.vt.edu/

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-01-20 10:35:51)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You'd be well into a six figure salary then, yeah?
Easy, yeah. Nice springboard into owning your own construction firm too, and that means millions.
Super -> project engineer -> project manager

Pay is somewhere around $60k ->$75k -> ~$100k, depending on the company. That's starting. It's a good industry to get into, especially if you can handle large scale projects
jord
+2,382|6669|The North, beyond the wall.
isn't viginia tech the one where people go to shoot up the place?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
meh, freak accident (not to downplay the tragedy of the deaths, but it really coulda happened anywhere)

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-01-20 11:08:00)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My uncle went to VT. He works for Electric Boat up in Groton, CT.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6582
Also the cadet/ROTC option at some colleges.

And, once you're an officer in the military, having a wife and family in the military is much easier to do as an officer.

As an officer, the military almost treats you like a person. 
You get paid an almost livable wage, you are given access to almost decent housing on base.
You are almost treated like a mature adult.

As an enlisted soldier, you are a part to be replaced when worn out.
If the military had wanted you to have a wife and kids, as an enlisted soldier, they would've issued them to you.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6379|New York
I can vouch for that Project manager salary listed by Ken Jennings, but I'm not quite doing the same thing as what he's listing.

I went to school and SUNY Binghamton for Mechanical Engineering. Graduated with a 3.1 GPA, which is quite acceptable for an engineer due to the difficulty.

Started of at my first job out of college installing AV equipment for about $36k a year (hated it, but it was the only thing I could get). Got a new job at a telemetry company as an Applications Engineer after a year at the other place, making $42k a year. Two years later, switched jobs when I moved down to the NYC area, hired as an Applications Engineer at a battery company, making $50k/yr. Three years later, I'm still here, now doing Project Management. In this case, though, I'm taking custom battery pack designs from the initial concept phase to completion where we are shipping product in MP quantities. Salary is currently $65k, not including bonuses.

I'm not stating this to toot my own horn, as it were, but just as an example of how you can really move up quickly and make a good salary while doing something interesting and productive. I do work at a cubicle, but I work on so many different projects with so many different applications that it's a different thing every day.  I also visit our plants overseas and occasionally visit customers when needed.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Christbane
+51|6225
FFS! go to college if your dad has to pay for it!  you don't have to pick a major right away take some generals and work it out form there.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

heggs wrote:

I can vouch for that Project manager salary listed by Ken Jennings, but I'm not quite doing the same thing as what he's listing.

I went to school and SUNY Binghamton for Mechanical Engineering. Graduated with a 3.1 GPA, which is quite acceptable for an engineer due to the difficulty.

Started of at my first job out of college installing AV equipment for about $36k a year (hated it, but it was the only thing I could get). Got a new job at a telemetry company as an Applications Engineer after a year at the other place, making $42k a year. Two years later, switched jobs when I moved down to the NYC area, hired as an Applications Engineer at a battery company, making $50k/yr. Three years later, I'm still here, now doing Project Management. In this case, though, I'm taking custom battery pack designs from the initial concept phase to completion where we are shipping product in MP quantities. Salary is currently $65k, not including bonuses.

I'm not stating this to toot my own horn, as it were, but just as an example of how you can really move up quickly and make a good salary while doing something interesting and productive. I do work at a cubicle, but I work on so many different projects with so many different applications that it's a different thing every day.  I also visit our plants overseas and occasionally visit customers when needed.
Wow man, salaries suck that much upstate? I was making $25/hr (works out to 50k yr) during my internship at ConEd

not a brag post, just comparison
-Frederick Bastiat
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6379|New York
Yeah, the standard of living is much lower up there. A $42k salary in Albany is actually pretty good, because rent is pretty cheap and it's not an expensive place to live.

Not so much down here, as you know.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
well jew york is fucking expensive
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5464|Ventura, California
I can't thank you guys enough for all that advice. They're all very appealing careers. How the hell do I choose? I'm going to flip quarters
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4959|Dundee, Scotland.
Shifty what did you do with your dad in the end?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Well my parents are finally officially divorced. It happened a few days before Christmas. The process has been long and very hard to endure. Family choosing sides, financial troubles, drama everywhere, hurt feelings, etc.

As it stands, my dad is paying child support, alimony, and will have to pay for me to go to college if I choose to do so.

He's still living with his son and girlfriend.

FML
id find a new family if you were my son too.
Tu Stultus Es
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5464|Ventura, California
I didn't need to do anything, my mom went to his other apartment (My grandma had one of those huge houses with 6 bedrooms and a restaurant downstairs) and found some clothes and crap from another woman there, and got suspicious, and went back again and she was there and my mom put 2 and 2 together and asked for a divorce. My dad had been treating her like shit for 20 years. He was nice to us kids though.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5169|Sydney

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I can't thank you guys enough for all that advice. They're all very appealing careers. How the hell do I choose? I'm going to flip quarters
Depends if you prefer buildings or computers more. But from what I see here most of the talk has been about structural engineering.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6143|what

Is your dad still with that chick?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6613|Little Bentcock
everytime I click on this thread, I STILL think about making a willy joke
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6314|Graz, Austria

AussieReaper wrote:

Is your dad still with that chick?
Huh?
Have you moved to the USA and are looking for a date now?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5169|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6459

Adams_BJ wrote:

Everyone does.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

I never read this thread. Could someone give me a recap?
gurdeep
­
+812|4746|proll­y

eleven bravo wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Well my parents are finally officially divorced. It happened a few days before Christmas. The process has been long and very hard to endure. Family choosing sides, financial troubles, drama everywhere, hurt feelings, etc.

As it stands, my dad is paying child support, alimony, and will have to pay for me to go to college if I choose to do so.

He's still living with his son and girlfriend.

FML
id find a new family if you were my son too.
lol, dick

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard