Bevo
Nah
+718|6667|Austin, Texas

eleven bravo wrote:

17 hours is realistic.  thats full time +

but 20 hours a week?  25?  c'mon.
that's barely full time. I'm taking 1 hour over the minimum required. When I have to take 17 credit hours next semester, I will certainly have somewhere between 20-25 hours of class time weekly.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
how many times a week do you meet for a 6 hour class?

how many units are you taking?
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
look, Im taking 12 units of classes this quarter.  11 week quarter system.  Im in class on tuesdays and thursdays 5 hours each day and that is considered full time.

I am at California State University, Los Angeles which is part of the Cal State system.  Cal State wont let you take more than 20 units in a quarter.  so if 12 units (Im taking three 4 unit classes) is giving me 10 hours of class time a week how many more hours would 2 more classes give me? 

when i was in jr college, I would occasionaly take 16 units in a semester system  and end up putting 15+ hours in class a week,  but that was beyond fulltime because 12 units was still full time back then.  The UC system also works like the Cal State system
Tu Stultus Es
OmniDeath
~
+726|6790

eleven bravo wrote:

how many times a week do you meet for a 6 hour class?

how many units are you taking?
Monday:
Figure Drawing - 3hrs

Tuesday:
Animation - 3hrs
Ethics - 1.25hrs

Wednesday:
Figure Drawing - 3hrs
Entrepreneurial Illustration - 3hrs

Thursday:
Animation - 3hrs
Professional Practice - 3hrs
Study of Nietzsche - 1.25hrs
Illustration Seminar - 3hrs

Friday:
Illustration Seminar - 6hrs

-------------------------------------------

29.5 hours a week. 16.5 credit hours.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
so you really put in about 90 hours a week with homework and classtime?
Tu Stultus Es
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6813

eleven bravo wrote:

look, Im taking 12 units of classes this quarter.  11 week quarter system.  Im in class on tuesdays and thursdays 5 hours each day and that is considered full time.

I am at California State University, Los Angeles which is part of the Cal State system.  Cal State wont let you take more than 20 units in a quarter.  so if 12 units (Im taking three 4 unit classes) is giving me 10 hours of class time a week how many more hours would 2 more classes give me? 

when i was in jr college, I would occasionaly take 16 units in a semester system  and end up putting 15+ hours in class a week,  but that was beyond fulltime because 12 units was still full time back then.  The UC system also works like the Cal State system
12 units is bare minimum full time.  18-20 units is true full time.   12 units is just a way for the University to scam you from those two additional classes you could take, while making you think you are taking a full load and charging you the full price.

1 unit equates to about 1 hour.  And as such, 18-20 units is 18-20 hours.  Then, depending on your course work, you need to add lab and research times.  And the times between classes if you want to add those.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
CSU/UC wont let you take more than 20 and most courses offered are 4 units with the occasional 5
Tu Stultus Es
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6813

eleven bravo wrote:

CSU/UC wont let you take more than 20 and most courses offered are 4 units with the occasional 5
WTH?  What courses are 4 and 5 units?

But what I'm sayhing is that, taking 12 units or 20 units, you are still paying the same amount.  12 units qualifies as full time, but it really isn't a full load.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
every single class I have to take except one from now until I graduate are 4 units.

Ill admit 12 units at CSLA doesnt feel like a full load.  At PCC, 12 units usually meant 4 classes.
Tu Stultus Es
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6861|US
11-14, depending on the week.
Lightest load I've ever taken (15 credit hours)--makes for a good final semester! (hooray for validations!)
Major: Military History

Most people here wind up with 6-7 classes per semester (18-21 credit hours, plus .5 PE courses).

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2010-03-01 12:25:27)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5848|College Park, MD
@Ilocano quarter system schools often have higher amounts of credits per class. Since their "normal" school year is three quarters long, while a semester system school has a two semester long year.

GS I like your schedule.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom
it changing next quarter.  gotta go on campus 4 days a week again
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
sux2bu

But is it still gonna be the same amount of time just spread out over four days?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6728|SE London

I was supposed to do about 20hrs a week. I didn't.

Girl I knew doing politics did 3hrs a week. No wonder all politicians are rubbish and lazy....
Stimey
­
+786|6266|Ontario | Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

What res are you in? Or are you at home?

gl;hf with 400 guys imported directly from china/singapore
Just to clarify, I've been accepted there and accepted their offer, but I don't really plan on going there.
My top two are Waterloo and Queens, I really hope I get in one of those two. (Queens has 25% girls in their engineering programs )
But I wouldn't mind going to U of T either
­
­
­
­
­
­
eleven bravo
+1,399|5405|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

sux2bu

But is it still gonna be the same amount of time just spread out over four days?
I have another class so its gonna be 3hrs 20 minutes monday and tuesday and close to 6 hours wednesday and thursday.  I dont have to drive to and from campus twice a day anymore.
Tu Stultus Es
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6800
It seems like a lot of the people posting who live outside the U.S. take 20+ hours of classes...do you guys work a significant amount too?  I've read (on here, probably) it's a lot less common to work while attending university in Europe, and I'm curious if that's the case...

Me:
17 hours of class
Chemistry
University of Missouri - Kansas City

I work approx. 20 hours a week, so my workload isn't overwhelming, but I'm on campus from 8 AM to 5 PM every day, so school feels like a full-time job (as it should, I suppose).
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6885|Toronto | Canada

Stimey wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

What res are you in? Or are you at home?

gl;hf with 400 guys imported directly from china/singapore
Just to clarify, I've been accepted there and accepted their offer, but I don't really plan on going there.
My top two are Waterloo and Queens, I really hope I get in one of those two. (Queens has 25% girls in their engineering programs )
But I wouldn't mind going to U of T either
You already accepted? lol

And seriously, out of those 3 U of T is really the best choice.  It has the best engineering program (especially with EngSci) and actually has people that speak language as their first language (unlike Waterwoo).  Queens is just full of stuck up pricks.
Come to U of T with Poschy, TSI and I
Stimey
­
yeah I understand the gripes with the two other schools.
toured both, waterloo seemed grim and depressing, and queens smelled like $100'000 a year
my other option is McMaster, where all my friends are going.
I already accepted because you can bump their offer off the table if you accept to another school.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Waterloo literally doesnt do anything but study.  Theres nothing to do there, lamest place in the world.
Mac is a fantastic school from what I've heard.  Its more of a university town while U of T is just crazy, has everything.  I love the city which is why I love U of T.  Its all up to what you're looking for
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5689|Toronto
Lies! Choose the best program. You will be raped sideways if you come here for EngSci. The rest of the city won't exist in your world. It's definitely the best engineering program, though, as Winston has already stated. Waterloo is the only comparable school, and once again, it doesn't mater what it looks like; you won't be seeing it.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Stimey
­
decisions decisions
­
­
­
­
­
­
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Well thats not entirely true.  If you come to EngSci and dont like it, you have until November to switch to ANY engineering program you want or almost any other program in the school. Since EngSci is as tough as it gets they know most will switch out and prepare for it.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
wat about mcgill
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6867|Sydney, Australia
12h, Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales, Australia

Buuuut I'm doing a double degree, so next semester I return to civil engineering subjets -> 21-22 hours.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard