-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
Source - Foxnews

BREAKING NEWS —  A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake capable of tremendous damage struck central Chile early Saturday, shaking the capital for a minute and a half and setting off a tsunami.
Speaking of tsunamis, here's what we know for now.

Two to four foot waves reportedly were generated from the tsunami.
Here's a damage report, but all communications are down so it's hard to get information.

Buildings collapsed and phone lines and electricity were down, making the extent of the damage difficult to determine. At least 6 people were killed, President Michele Bachelet said.
Two strong aftershocks hit the region after the quake, a 6.2-magnitude and a 5.6-magnitude, according to U.S. government reports.
----- Update -----

708 dead according to fox news. Numerous tsunamis. The highest reaching 2.7m in height.

They stopped counting after 25 aftershocks.

7 aftershocks @ 6.0 or higher

Many tsunamis in nearby islands, none in Hawaii or Japan as feared.

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2010-03-01 09:25:00)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
I would be astonished if the death toll stays so low. An 8.8 is an enormous earthquake.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Same here, but as mentioned communications are down so getting info about casualties might take some time. This is like happening right now so I'm sure tomorrow we'll have better information.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555
Something big is going down in the tectonic arena. The big Californian earthquake could be next.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Haiti early February

Japan 6.9 yesterday

Chili 8.8 today + 6.5 + 5.5 aftershocks

What the hell is going on?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Haiti early February

Japan 6.9 yesterday

Chili 8.8 today + 6.5 + 5.5 aftershocks

What the hell is going on?
There has been a shitload of Earthquakes in Taiwan lately too lel. It's called tectonic movement shifty.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Benzin
+576|5998
Anyone expect the same outpouring of support for Chile that Haiti got? I'm not.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

CapnNismo wrote:

no, not least because chile is actually pretty well prepared for earthquakes.

and dealing with one enormous scale disaster is proving tricky enough. dealing with two...

Last edited by Spark (2010-02-27 02:31:10)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Benzin
+576|5998
I wonder if the neighboring countries of Chile are going to help at all. Any country that gets hit by an earthquake that hard is going to need assistance.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

CapnNismo wrote:

I wonder if the neighboring countries of Chile are going to help at all. Any country that gets hit by an earthquake that hard is going to need assistance.
Taiwan got fuckall when we had our huge earthquake.

Well at least Chile isn't a failed state.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Benzin
+576|5998
Yea, your biggest neighbor is the PRC and last I checked, Taiwan isn't on the best of terms with Hu Jintao. The rest of the world can't exactly run there and help Taiwan without stirring up a ruckus with the PRC because the PRC still says that Taiwan belongs to them.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

CapnNismo wrote:

Yea, your biggest neighbor is the PRC and last I checked, Taiwan isn't on the best of terms with Hu Jintao. The rest of the world can't exactly run there and help Taiwan without stirring up a ruckus with the PRC because the PRC still says that Taiwan belongs to them.
Yeah we belong to them and they do fuckall, that's the funny thing Last time there was SARS China wouldn't let the WHO assist Taiwan. So we made our own knock off vaccines that were better than the WHO ones lol.

At least in recent years Japan and US made efforts to assist Taiwan when we need it. Our Prez is a corrupt prick, hes like "WE NEED MROE MONEY LOL NO NEED FOR AID." Three days later he begged countries for helicopters and shit. I face palmed.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
typhoon warnings for like everywhere right now....including hawaii
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

typhoon warnings for like everywhere right now....including hawaii
Yeah we have a pretty good warning system as well. It's just the damage fucked things up a little bit more than expected. Our rescue helicopters crash because our government was too cheap to have maintenance checks...  Our fault for fucking shit up really =/
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England

CapnNismo wrote:

Maybe if this 8.8 was shallower, struck/totally destroyed the capital/most populated city, and if Chile was considered one of the poorest places in the world. As it stands right now, the damage wasn't anywhere near as much, the tsunami isn't anywhere near as something like 2004 and Chile isn't Haiti-poor either.

People need to put things into perspective or educate themselves, or just use simple logic before they get riled over things.

8.8 is pretty damn strong though, I think the largest ever recorded was in Chile too sometime in the last century.

At the end of the day Chile has got lucky with a huge quake, as has everyone who was in the tsunami range. This all could have been much worse, but it doesn't seem that bad, for a fucking 8.8

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-02-27 04:35:40)

Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Maybe if this 8.8 was shallower, struck/totally destroyed the capital/most populated city, and if Chile was considered one of the poorest places in the world. As it stands right now, the damage wasn't anywhere near as much, the tsunami isn't anywhere near as something like 2004 and Chile isn't Haiti-poor either.

People need to put things into perspective or educate themselves, or just use simple logic before they get riled over things.

8.8 is pretty damn strong though, I think the largest ever recorded was in Chile too sometime in the last century.
9.5, yeah - some time in the sixties. that's about as large as they can possibly get, barring something like an asteroid impact.
~ Richard Feynman
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
what was it that was the explanation in that film 2012

something about neutrons in the earths core, i forgot

edit:

In 2009, American geologist Adrian Helmsley learns from a colleague, Dr. Satnam Tsurtuani, at an underground copper mine in India that neutrinos  from a massive solar flare are acting as microwave radiation, causing the temperature of the Earth's core to increase rapidly.
that's it

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-02-27 04:41:07)

Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

edit:

In 2009, American geologist Adrian Helmsley learns from a colleague, Dr. Satnam Tsurtuani, at an underground copper mine in India that neutrinos  from a massive solar flare are acting as microwave radiation, causing the temperature of the Earth's core to increase rapidly.
that's it
that's so bad it makes me laugh
~ Richard Feynman
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Mekstizzle wrote:

edit:

that's it
His name looks like Dr. Satnav Tsunami if you glance at it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Mekstizzle wrote:

edit:

that's it
solar flares destroy the Earth?

No, you're thinking of that Nicolas Cage movie - Knowing
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

GG -Shitfy- ! with Macbeth gone, i see you*re picking up the news reporting slack!

CapnNismo wrote:

i just saw another "text ten bucks to Haiti" commercials. they should probly retire it now.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

9.5, yeah - some time in the sixties. that's about as large as they can possibly get, barring something like an asteroid impact.
I very much doubt that. We've only been recording earthquakes for 80 odd years and already had 4 over 9.0. 1 every 20 years is a massive number in geological terms, and I see no reason why the 1 in 100,000 or 1 in a million or 1 in a hundred million year event are not just as possible as they are with volcanism.
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

They say the next one will be over 9000.0
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
lol did i say typhoon?  oops.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6107|Birmingham, UK

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Haiti early February