SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
When the Zoomers invade Iran.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

"Caliyah McNabb was born on Sept. 23, 2017 to Cortney Bell and Christopher McNabb, premature and weighing only about 6 lbs. Her parents, who are first cousins, lived in a mobile home in Newton County, Georgia, regularly smoked methamphetamines and had a tumultuous relationship involving infidelity and domestic violence, according to witness testimony.
Hey is this the "real America" I hear about?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I've been binging a lot of back catalog from Contrapoints and Philosophy Tube recently, who have similar formats and apparently both studied philosophy.

uziq
+492|3422
contrapoints is incredibly cringe. i can see why your parents are beginning to see you as a mutant son with 'woke' opinions.

'apparently both studied philosophy', lol.

i would recommend some proper philosophy podcasts or lecture series if you're interested in these topics. these youtube personalities are extremely problematic and frankly are high on their own supply. this for me highlights a big problem area where people think they can get good glosses on a subject from a youtube celebrity or patreon pundit. listening to contrapoints is not really all that different from listening to the joe rogan podcast for 'expert interviews'.

whilst they might have studied philosophy, they are nowhere near as level-headed and objective as actual philosophers. it's very culture war'sy.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-14 02:47:07)

DesertFox-
That wasn't at all what I said about my parents but go off. I know they're not experts. I'm not sharing their videos as life-changing must-sees like Jordan Peterson fans. I mentioned them having studied philosophy as something I found interesting between both of them, cause I wouldn't say that seems to be terribly commonplace. I'm not suggesting an undergraduate or even graduate level of study makes them qualified experts on the material.

I wouldn't even say generally I'm overly interested in the topics discussed, but the videos are amusing and digestible enough to have on while doing something else. I don't even disagree that it is culture warsy because they basically rose to prominence as an answer to the pollution of Youtube with SJW compilations, Ben Shapiro, and PragerU. The main thing I glean from Contrapoints videos is stuff about trans issues that I wasn't aware of.

The average person on the street doesn't have the background or the desire to go write paragraphs about different philosophers like you and Larssen.

EDIT: This reply video is pretty garbage, tbh. The dude evidently has problems telling when things are jokes and mentions he knows she has characters presenting viewpoints, but then misconstrues what a character says as what she really thinks. I was expecting more substantive issues with the content, not armchair psychology about the person.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2020-11-14 08:33:26)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I think DF likes ContraPoints because she is pretty and one of only a subset of trans people who can genuinely pull it off. I would be fine with her going to the ladies bathroom or otherwise claiming to be a woman. I would still find it bizarre that activist are telling me to ignore my eyes and treat the trans person below as a full fledged woman. 
DesertFox-
Funnily enough, I did think of you, Mac, because of the concept of "passing" and I believe that very clip was featured in one of her videos as the only sort of exposure many people get to trans people (or look in the comments of Uzi's video to find such chuds). I honestly can't say I knew of anyone trans beforehand where I could go to listen to their experience. Caitlyn Jenner being the most well-known, but I at least knew she wasn't going to be super representative. Most what I had heard before the last few years about trans issues was filtered down through various levels and still had me pretty confused.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

DesertFox- wrote:

Funnily enough, I did think of you, Mac, because of the concept of "passing" and I believe that very clip was featured in one of her videos as the only sort of exposure many people get to trans people (or look in the comments of Uzi's video to find such chuds). I honestly can't say I knew of anyone trans beforehand where I could go to listen to their experience. Caitlyn Jenner being the most well-known, but I at least knew she wasn't going to be super representative. Most what I had heard before the last few years about trans issues was filtered down through various levels and still had me pretty confused.
I did watch her video regarding "Traps" because I need to protect myself and be ready for any trickery or treachery. Her points regarding the totality of her lifestyle seems reasonable enough and I will admit the fact that she seems more womanly than a lot of women made me fine with the concept of her claiming womanhood which is frankly not even within my rights to have a opinion on. I think for many people trans stuff comes down to the same ideas expressed in Chris Rock's black people vs niggas routine. A lot of people skeptical/hostile about trans stuff would probably be fine with having her around and being respected the same way many people not all too fond of black people in their personal lives would be fine with having Obama be their president. And I think that's fine in both cases. Like I said, she pulls it off and it's a shame more trans people can't.
uziq
+492|3422
lol wtf. macbeth 'this trans person is fine because she's kind of hot. the other ones are definitely not'.

even when you're trying to be understanding you are reducing people to objects and giving them no subjective agency whatsoever.

'which is frankly not even within my rights to have an opinion on'. holy fucking shit the guy has sympathy and respect for 'hot' trans people but then freely speaks for 100s of millions of muslim women.

LOL.
uziq
+492|3422

DesertFox- wrote:

EDIT: This reply video is pretty garbage, tbh. The dude evidently has problems telling when things are jokes and mentions he knows she has characters presenting viewpoints, but then misconstrues what a character says as what she really thinks. I was expecting more substantive issues with the content, not armchair psychology about the person.
the video points to exactly what i said makes me uneasy about such youtube personalities: which is that it's full of attention seekers and grifters on both sides. okay, sure, this stuff might be a counterweight to ben shapiro, but it's pretty clear that the figureheads of 'woke leftism' on youtube like this are just carving careers and satisfying narcissistic tendencies of their own.

this becomes particularly problematic because so much about left-progressive thought is about who gets a 'voice', who gets empowered, etc. people's motivations and sincerity matters.

it's entirely possible to learn about these subjects and to partake in 'the discourse' without delving into this schoolyard-level popularity contest with a bunch of emotionally unstable 'personalities'. is there anything more enervating and boring than youtube/podcaster drama? it's tumblr v2.0.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-14 11:58:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

lol wtf. macbeth 'this trans person is fine because she's kind of hot. the other ones are definitely not'.

even when you're trying to be understanding you are reducing people to objects and giving them no subjective agency whatsoever.

'which is frankly not even within my rights to have an opinion on'. holy fucking shit the guy has sympathy and respect for 'hot' trans people but then freely speaks for 100s of millions of muslim women.

LOL.
In vast swath of the Muslim world they would execute this lady. Please explain why that is a thing for those people.
uziq
+492|3422
violence, abuse and murder against trans people is sky-high in western countries. that's rather the whole point of so much recent trans discourse. did you listen to her videos or not? they are an 'expendable' and neglected community who are disproportionately represented in just about all forms of victimhood.

haven't you spent months goading transgender people in D&ST? making endless arguments about men in women's toilets, etc? you have contributed to that dangerous, demonising rhetoric and pointed out outlier examples, time and time again, in one of the most vulnerable groups in western society. you are literally part of the problem in western culture.

but no, now you fancy yourself as magnanimous because you kind of think one of them is hot. apparently trans people are due deference, respect and equality if they pass macbeth's 'hot test'. the rest should continue to be viewed with suspicion and be subject to the usual violence and abuse.

you are literally a hopeless sack of shit.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-14 12:06:47)

DesertFox-

uziq wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

the video points to exactly what i said makes me uneasy about such youtube personalities: which is that it's full of attention seekers and grifters on both sides. okay, sure, this stuff might be a counterweight to ben shapiro, but it's pretty clear that the figureheads of 'woke leftism' on youtube like this are just carving careers and satisfying narcissistic tendencies of their own.

this becomes particularly problematic because so much about left-progressive thought is about who gets a 'voice', who gets empowered, etc. people's motivations and sincerity matters.

it's entirely possible to learn about these subjects and to partake in 'the discourse' without delving into this schoolyard-level popularity contest with a bunch of emotionally unstable 'personalities'. is there anything more enervating and boring than youtube/podcaster drama? it's tumblr v2.0.
That's a valid concern, one which has definitely come up between certain creators. Surely doesn't help to dispel any stereotypes about "The Left" being a fractious entity. I don't follow any any of the drama, since that's not what I'm interested in, so my experience is mainly limited to out-of-the-loop recaps. I only learned about some of the problems certain people had with her via her Cancelling video.

That said, I don't think that video contains anything close to a good argument. I'm sure anyone running a YT channel featuring themselves is narcissistic to a degree, but I wouldn't wildly speculate about the person based on their content.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Once gain Uzique resorts to the "other places are shitholes too" argument when someone criticize Islamic civilization. Some closet case killing a transwoman in a gay panic fit in West Virginia isn't anything like a state sanctioning the execution of the lady. I never once suggested throwing a gay person off of a roof. I even endorsed state financial support for transition services for adult transpeople. Me at my worst towards women/gay people is still a few centuries ahead of whatever is going on in Iran and Saudi Arabia this very second.
uziq
+492|3422
once again you take credit for something that you've actively aggravated and made worse, previously.

the difference? this one is attractive to you. oh ok. how very magnanimous.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Here we are having a breakthrough in my acceptance of transpeople and you want to ruin it by saying I am literally encouraging the sort of mass murder of gays that take place in Muslim countries. And you are doing so in defense of Muslims who again are the ones mass murdering gays while I am just hanging around vaping weed and voting for LGBT democrats.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

This is not a breakthrough in your "acceptance of transpeople." It's an extension of your sexist tendencies, and also a distraction intended to soften some other horrible post prior or upcoming.

Post 1: "Wow, a 'hot' tranny! Aren't I so progressive?"
Post 2: "Haha, look at this freak. Cringe! They shouldn't be allowed!"

I would fully expect you to post something positive about a Muslim woman in politics so that you can pretend that you actually give a crap and aren't actually one of the contributors to boorish reddit culture.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
If I was going to post any woman I would post videos of religious minorities that have been harmed by Islamism.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Slavery is an interesting topic to bring up. Christians also have a storied history with it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There was a handful of Islamic countries which abolished slavery only in the 2000's. And immigrant workers go through hell in the Gulf States which is another issue.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Deported U.S. Veterans Feel Abandoned By The Country They Defended
https://www.npr.org/local/309/2019/06/2 … y-defended
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Are you going to do what Uzique does and find a random human rights violation from somewhere outside the Muslim world every time I bring up an issue from there?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Your concern about human rights in the Muslim world seems very disingenuous when you usually tie it up with troll humor or focus on it to the exclusion of very real problems elsewhere because "Islam, amirite."

This among the many things we've been trying to tell you.

Also, why don't you care about our veterans?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Why don't you care about the plight of innocent transgender women?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard