Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729
Rich kids love status. But a problem with CC is the "people" who go in it. College should be about how you can improve yourself tbh.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6336|New Haven, CT

FEOS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I never took an SAT either. ACT ftw.
The ACT is for people who suck the SAT.

(No one regards a 36 on the ACT the same way they regard a 2400 on the SAT.)
Or it's for people who aren't planning to attend an out of state school (like me).

Might want to watch out next time it rains...you might just drown.
What do you mean by that second comment? I wasn't really being serious with my statement, just so you know.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6423|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Or it's for people who aren't planning to attend an out of state school (like me).

What do you mean by that second comment? I wasn't really being serious with my statement, just so you know.
Then you really need to use a smiley or /sarcasm tag, because the preceding statement that I didn't include would lead one to think that you were being serious with that sort of comment.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6336|New Haven, CT
Wasn't it self-evident considering how blatantly pretentious my word choice was?=

Also, can you still explain what your rain comment means?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2010-02-18 22:14:07)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6423|'Murka

nukchebi0 wrote:

Wasn't it self-evident considering how blatantly pretentious my word choice was?=

Also, can you still explain what your rain comment means?
No, it wasn't. And that should tell you something.

Plus, I'm strung out from no sleep from being in the hospital with my kid.

The rain comment alludes to one's nose being so far up in the air that when it rains, one would drown from the rain flowing into one's nostrils.

That would go along with the "blatantly pretentious word choice" bit. So good on ya, I guess.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

lels.

SAT tests your test taking skills with confusing ass questions. It's all bullshit. There was an essay about how the SAT creates a wealth gap since upper class kids are the ones to afford SAT lessons and shit. Sure there are outliers, but wealthier kids have a much higher advantage =/ PLUS THE FUCKING TEST IS EXPENSIVE AS SHIT.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6694|Disaster Free Zone
They are for the people who can't get into university... How can't you 'look down' on them, they ARE a second choice. They also offer courses like waitressing and bar tending which is so highbrow.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6165|what

DrunkFace wrote:

They are for the people who can't get into university... How can't you 'look down' on them, they ARE a second choice. They also offer courses like waitressing and bar tending which is so highbrow.
And hairdressing.

lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Benzin
+576|6011
The American university system as a whole is a joke... why be forced to take so many prereqs when you've been doing the same kind of shit for the past 12 years in public school? Who needs a biology class if you're studying business or IT?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6697|United States of America

CapnNismo wrote:

The American university system as a whole is a joke... why be forced to take so many prereqs when you've been doing the same kind of shit for the past 12 years in public school? Who needs a biology class if you're studying business or IT?
That's really just the educational system in general, which wants you to be "well-rounded" instead of other countries with their more career-oriented schooling methods (although it wouldn't hurt if the U.S. public took more bio, most aren't too bright in that area ). Likewise, I've had to take several courses of no real relevance to my major and it is rather annoying when you're wasting time learning about the theory of rhetoric from a grad student who can't really teach.

Cybargs wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

lels.

SAT tests your test taking skills with confusing ass questions. It's all bullshit. There was an essay about how the SAT creates a wealth gap since upper class kids are the ones to afford SAT lessons and shit. Sure there are outliers, but wealthier kids have a much higher advantage =/ PLUS THE FUCKING TEST IS EXPENSIVE AS SHIT.
The SAT was confusing/expensive?
I recall a similar story about their being a sort of wealth gap, but as I recall it was ages ago where they asked questions about upper-class shit like croquet/sailing or something like that. SAT lessons don't really help either, besides just getting in the feel of the test, but if you've been going through standardized tests all your life, you're used to it.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6451|King Of The Islands

DrunkFace wrote:

That's the spirit.

Fuck I hate academics.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6662

Macbeth wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Can't be any worse than the school Macbeth attends.
Thanks you giant cunt
<3
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Cheez wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

That's the spirit.

Fuck I hate academics.
I think you've miss understood what I was trying to say. People attending community colleges aren't lesser people, not every can be, nor even want to be engineers or surgeons. But from a strictly educational standpoint they are not on the same level as universities.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6729

DrunkFace wrote:

Cheez wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

That's the spirit.

Fuck I hate academics.
I think you've miss understood what I was trying to say. People attending community colleges aren't lesser people, not every can be, nor even want to be engineers or surgeons. But from a strictly educational standpoint they are not on the same level as universities.
In the US there is a financial reason as they are a lot cheaper compared to regular college. Yeah there is like no effort at all going in and I completely see your point. CC is usually for people who can't get into a legit college... But for people who are planning to go on to a four year university, it's a smart financial decision.

On SAT: Well I was referring to more the way they word the questions sometimes and I had a really fucking vague math question =/ But overall the SAT isn't an accurate measurement of academic skill.

SAT lessons, which "help" you get higher scores are pretty fucking expensive lol. The test itself is like 50 bucks... but if you're a poorer kid, you can't take it that many times as compared to a richer kid tbh. But yeah I agree that SAT classes don't really do shit lol, you just gotta practice yourself.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom

DrunkFace wrote:

Cheez wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

That's the spirit.

Fuck I hate academics.
such bunk dude.  I would agree with you if I wasnt able to get better grades last quarter at my school (I transferred from a JC) than students who had been going there since their freshman year.
Tu Stultus Es
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6336|New Haven, CT
Which university are you enrolled in now?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

eleven bravo wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Cheez wrote:

That's the spirit.

Fuck I hate academics.
such bunk dude.  I would agree with you if I wasnt able to get better grades last quarter at my school (I transferred from a JC) than students who had been going there since their freshman year.
Uh huh, so why did you transfer? You were obviously already at the peak of educational institutions.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom
you can only attend a JC for two years if you plan on getting a 4 year degree.
Tu Stultus Es
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
Why does a degree take 4 years?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
As weird as that may be, fact is you still need to go to a university to get the better qualifications. So who in their right mind would choose to go to an institution which doesn't offer the courses or qualifications they want, so in 2 years you might be able to transfer to one that does. Unless of course you had no choice because you couldn't get into a university. No one, that's who.

If you're going to CC route you fucked up somewhere in high school, the intelligent ones went straight to the big league, but good luck to you.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5714|College Park, MD
Because of elitist faggotry.

@DrunkFace a lot of people can't afford the ivy league schools. Or maybe they were smart enough to get accepted but not enough to get full scholarships. So it makes more sense to go to a CC and a good state school. University of Virginia, Virginia Tech and William & Mary are all very highly regarded schools in the US, they're very cheap for Virginia residents, and you can get a guaranteed admission into them if you attend a Virginia Community College as long as you maintain a high GPA.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Community College. Yeah for some people it's "13th grade", but they get weeded out pretty fast. For those who have to WORK to pay for college, it's a cheaper option than going four years at a state or private school.

And don't get me started on the value of vocational school... a lot of people are more talented at hands-on work like plumbing, which you can't learn at Harvard. Yet a good plumber can make about $50K a year or higher... not rich, but certainly better off than a lot of college graduates are currently making. And it can't get outsourced to India. And it'll always be in demand.

DrunkFace I don't know how things work over in Australia, but here in the US school is VERY expensive.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6550|Long Island, New York

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Because of elitist faggotry.

@DrunkFace a lot of people can't afford the ivy league schools. Or maybe they were smart enough to get accepted but not enough to get full scholarships. So it makes more sense to go to a CC and a good state school. University of Virginia, Virginia Tech and William & Mary are all very highly regarded schools in the US, they're very cheap for Virginia residents, and you can get a guaranteed admission into them if you attend a Virginia Community College as long as you maintain a high GPA.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Community College. Yeah for some people it's "13th grade", but they get weeded out pretty fast. For those who have to WORK to pay for college, it's a cheaper option than going four years at a state or private school.

And don't get me started on the value of vocational school... a lot of people are more talented at hands-on work like plumbing, which you can't learn at Harvard. Yet a good plumber can make about $50K a year or higher... not rich, but certainly better off than a lot of college graduates are currently making. And it can't get outsourced to India. And it'll always be in demand.

DrunkFace I don't know how things work over in Australia, but here in the US school is VERY expensive.
I love this post in so many ways.

My brother went to Suffolk County Community College for a year and then transferred to SUNY Albany. He just recently got into the Business school there.

I also know many people in my grade who are CHOOSING to go to SCCC because of a few reasons. A) They want to get used to college curriculum and stay home for a year B) They have a good job here and want to stick with it for another year or 2 C) They didn't get into the college they wanted so they want to work their ass off at SCCC so they can transfer where ever they want. D) They just can't fucking afford 4 years at a private school, or even a state school in some cases.

Some people go to community college because they just don't give a fuck about school and are going because their parents forced them to, but that's really not the majority.

Last edited by Poseidon (2010-02-19 11:18:24)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
Yeah... well for the 4 years I was at university I paid exactly $20 (for the ID card). I did leave with about an $18k debt to the Government, but then again it's interest free (adjusted to CPI) and I didn't have to start paying a cent back until I was earning more then $36k p.a. And what's more any citizen or permanent resident is just as eligible for the same deal assuming they get the marks in the final year(s) of high school, and a vast majority do. In the US you may have financial barriers but here there is no excuse.

Also if you get a scholarship that usually means you get paid to go to uni, not just paying for tuition.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom

DrunkFace wrote:

As weird as that may be, fact is you still need to go to a university to get the better qualifications. So who in their right mind would choose to go to an institution which doesn't offer the courses or qualifications they want, so in 2 years you might be able to transfer to one that does. Unless of course you had no choice because you couldn't get into a university. No one, that's who.

If you're going to CC route you fucked up somewhere in high school, the intelligent ones went straight to the big league, but good luck to you.
I was in the army for 7 years
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard