Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

The last time I was in class, I overheard a conversation where several students spoke down community college and it's students as stupid and poor.
Today I was looking through some other message boards search results for "community college" and found similar sentiments. 

Why is community college looked down upon so much when it is actually a tremendous smart move for most people to make?

Consider; in the state of NJ you can finish 2 years at CC and than transfer to any other school in NJ and have all your credits transferred as well as be considered to have completed your basic requirements and move straight into your major.

So a person can go to CC, get an associates in Psychology than transfer to any University and only have to finish a few more classes in their Psychology major since they were able to finish a load of psychology classes at the community college. At the end they will get the same B.A. in Psychology that the person who spent 4 years at university did for half the cost and in less time.

So unless you are getting a scholarship to a major university or have wealthy parents, wouldn't it be smarter to blow through CC and than hit a university? If it really is the smarter and more practical way, why is CC still looked down upon?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
it shouldnt be.  I received the same quality education at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-02-18 13:48:02)

Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Some people think that the coursework isn't as rigorous as at a 4-year university. However, I think it's a smart approach. You get your prereqs out of the way for a lot less money.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
because you are missing out on your freshmen year dorm life
sniff
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
dorm life aint nothing compared to barracks life
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

sniff
I bet that's it. Conspiracy by the big universities to rake in the dorm/food service money.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Yes, it does make more sense. People look down on CC because they don't require SATs, they're cheap and if you attend, it's essentially like you're still in high school.

Just like going to school anywhere else, you get out of it what you put into it. You'll learn more by busting your ass at a CC than you would by half-assing it at a place like Rutgers. Going to a 4 year school right off the bat is nothing more than a status symbol.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6286|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Sounds like the overclassed people trying to justify themselves tbh
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
I was taking summer classes with people who were going to Georgetown and Dartmouth

and they ended up dropping the classes mid session

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-02-18 13:52:31)

Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

I was taking summer classes with people who were going to Georgetown and Dartmouth

and they ended up dropping the classes
I took a couple of Master's prereqs at a CC in Ft Walton Beach. Made me wish I'd done the CC thing before doing my undergrad.
― Albert Einstein

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California

FEOS wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

sniff
I bet that's it. Conspiracy by the big universities to rake in the dorm/food service money.
what about parties!! lol im just kidding
but yes CC is a lot cheaper but it is just like high school, but going away to a uni is a big step, new friends, new chance to start all over cause no one knows about your past, all my friends that went off to uni's have changed, they are not mommas boy anymore, they are hardcore partiers and ravers lol!!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

FEOS wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

sniff
what about parties!! lol im just kidding
but yes CC is a lot cheaper but it is just like high school, but going away to a uni is a big step, new friends, new chance to start all over cause no one knows about your past, all my friends that went off to uni's have changed, they are not mommas boy anymore, they are hardcore partiers and ravers lol!!
Yes, that is exactly what college is all about...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
that is exactly what college is about
BP and raves
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
in my case i had no choice.  I received an equivalency diploma when i was 17 and joined the army.  I was 24 by the time I started school having never have taken an SAT and not finishing high school.
Tu Stultus Es
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

BP and raves
Big Pussy?
Block Parties?
British Petroleum?
Black Panthers?
Brown Pandas?
Blue Pigs?
Bright Pants?
hm....
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
beer pong you old fool

just kidding dont hurt meeeee
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

BP and raves
You're going to do well in life future Democrat.
-Frederick Bastiat
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California
i'm a pokemon master not a democrat or a republican
13/f/taiwan
+940|5699
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

beer pong you old fool

just kidding dont hurt meeeee
Dang it. I was so close!
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6366|California

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I go to CC.

http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/
cool cc, mines just ghetto lol
yes you were KCD, yes you were...
edit: I only roll with 6 togepis chea

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2010-02-18 14:19:34)

FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

in my case i had no choice.  I received an equivalency diploma when i was 17 and joined the army.  I was 24 by the time I started school having never have taken an SAT and not finishing high school.
I never took an SAT either. ACT ftw.
― Albert Einstein

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FEOS wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I got a 1420 (on the old SAT test, 1600 max)

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-02-18 16:46:35)

-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5699

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I go to CC.

http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/
cool cc, mines just ghetto lol
yes you were KCD, yes you were...
edit: I only roll with 6 togepis chea
<3 the scenery. It has a beach of its own(albeit its small) and a much larger [public]beach two blocks away
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

JohnG@lt wrote:

FEOS wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I got a 1420
Not on the ACT, you didn't.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard