13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Nic wrote:

I buy a bunch of PCB and make mine from scratch.
pics or . . . icwatudidthar
baggs
+732|6205
I built my current rig and i must say it went very well indeed, i did use a couple of guides for reference. I put it together, it worked first time and it's been a peach since.

It wasn't the hardest thing i ever did but the guides were just assurance.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Building a PC isn't exactly rocket science tbh ... the worst part is actually matching the components, the rest is like mentioned just exspensive LEGO ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

i bought an AT & T branded 486 dx2, in 1993. was the last pre-built i've owned. i upgraded the 9600 baud modem to 14.4, for a cost $139, and replaced the four 256k simms with four 1mb simms so i could play DOOM. Castle Wolfenstein ran fine, when you booted from the floppy.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Remember to always ground yourself first.

I have a mate who helped another install a dvd burner. In doing so he somehow fucked up the the internal network card. How he went from doing something in the top front of a pc and breaking something towards the bottom and back, I'll never know.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

burnzz wrote:

i bought an AT & T branded 486 dx2, in 1993. was the last pre-built i've owned. i upgraded the 9600 baud modem to 14.4, for a cost $139, and replaced the four 256k simms with four 1mb simms so i could play DOOM. Castle Wolfenstein ran fine, when you booted from the floppy.
The first PC I bought was a 386 Enhanced ... was pretty kickass back in those days ... played Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Colonization and Pirates on that machine ... bought my first Pentium in 1998 when Delta Force came out ... first build was 2005 and specifically for bf2
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Railroad Tycoon,

the first computer i built was a Frankenstein mix built from a server, it had SCSI HDD, cd-rom and even a SCSI floppy.
the best innovation for the PC was the AT standard - the video in that rig was IBM MCA. i got (later) a 2x cd burner, that was very good at making things you could set your beverage on, so you didn't stain the furniture . . .

fuck me - i don't blame people that buy pre-built with a warranty, and hope to be rich enough to do it one day.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

burnzz wrote:

Nic wrote:

I buy a bunch of PCB and make mine from scratch.
pics or . . . icwatudidthar
Takes too long and doing CPUs on FPGAs means they are too slow...

Not to mention my designs are shit compared to modern stuff (or any stuff at all for that matter - but at least they worked).

With older computers you needed a soldering iron to solder the chips in or remove unnecessary ones. I was about 9 when I soldered a few upgrade chips into my BBC Micro Model B.

burnzz wrote:

i got (later) a 2x cd burner, that was very good at making things you could set your beverage on, so you didn't stain the furniture . . .
For coasters:

Hard drive platters > CDs

Takes a little bit of work to get them, but they are nicer.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-02-17 10:46:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard