raz
+22|6696|England, UK
Ok, i've noticed this more and more on different servers rescently! Servers that ban you for saying the word "Noob"!! That's unbelievable, it's happened multiple times now to me.

This isn't swearing, or even an offensive word some might say.. It origintaes from the word "Newbie" and is int he dictionary meaning someone new to something, especially someone novice at computer technology or the internet!

I think it's outragous as a banned word and is set to autokick when typed in LOTS of serers!!

Any of you guys been kicked for this n' what you think about it?
Cpt.KillerToy12
Be Very... Very Quite... We're Hunting Rabbits
+29|6688|U.S.A
What servers are banning for saying Noob?
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6711|Broadlands, VA
That has to be THE most re-treaded thing I have heard about yet.  Which servers have banned you for that?
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6739|NL
why dont you use n00b?
raz
+22|6696|England, UK
It's happened quite a few times on different servers actually! I can't recall their names but i'm sure i got one saved as one of my favourties.. Which will change the next time i launch bf2, lol.

Last edited by raz (2006-02-11 10:29:47)

Thanatos247
100% Artillery Magnet
+3|6782|Derby, England
I dont know why, but I find someone being banned for saying the word "noob" quite amusing.

No, it hasnt happened to me, and if I was banned for saying a non offensive word, I would be annoyed as well. It doesnt surprise me though. I've been kicked for knifing a server admin before, trying to get my knife medal, and also kicked for killing an admin with a tank. pffft, dont go on the server again. Noobs.
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6864
Hah. Play the game and stfu. If u get kicked for saying "noob" then u are probably worth it
raz
+22|6696|England, UK

Mabec wrote:

Hah. Play the game and stfu. If u get kicked for saying "noob" then u are probably worth it
This comment wasn't useful to ANYONE whatsoever.
Rizen_Ji
+41|6767|200m out and smiling at you.
|\|00|35!!!!!!!
OpsChief
+101|6708|Southern California
I'm just gonna guess that about 60% of anyone who uses the word noob doesn't use it to mean Novice Player but uses it with the intention to insult someone's disparate skills.  Am I wrong?

The origin of a knife doesn't matter, it is how you use it that gets judged.
od1ous
+4|6693
Instead of calling him a n00b call him a piece of shit,  and then kill him promptly...

Last edited by od1ous (2006-02-11 15:59:57)

AMTXP
+13|6685|California, USA
Yes, it's technically name calling/dissing other players. Mostly in Christian servers to they kick for insulting teammates/enemies.

Wise words OpsChief.

- Andrew
od1ous
+4|6693
christian servers who spend their time killing...hmm
Aquafina
+0|6684

raz wrote:

Ok, i've noticed this more and more on different servers rescently! Servers that ban you for saying the word "Noob"!! That's unbelievable, it's happened multiple times now to me.

This isn't swearing, or even an offensive word some might say.. It origintaes from the word "Newbie" and is int he dictionary meaning someone new to something, especially someone novice at computer technology or the internet!

I think it's outragous as a banned word and is set to autokick when typed in LOTS of serers!!

Any of you guys been kicked for this n' what you think about it?
OMFG STFU N00b Uz GO TO HELLZ STFU N00B!!
That is offensive to some people.
How would you like to be called a Newbie infront of 63 people?
KillerYaNk
Hard Case
+11|6713|S.E. United States
its simple...
dont use the word
its like me when frustrated I used to type vulgar,mean,obscenities
result in most cases = kick
so now I try to avoid typing anything and have the chance to play on rather than be kicked
to some it may be an insult to be called a noob in their server
result = kick
personally Im new at playing fps's games,only starting when bf2 came out in june 05
(had another account w/a clan tag,had to create a new one)
so you may consider me a noob,but hell,like in all experiences in life,you begin as a noob
only to develop into the master of fps gamer's
one must crawl before it walks,hence we all were noobs at one time...
btw,my webster's doesnt even have "noob" in it,lol
Nuisance-Value
+0|6828|UK
I hate it when people use it. It confesses a lack of finesse. It is such a rubbish dis. I get called it some times when I accidently crash into an enermy chopper. "n00b rammer" they reply!. I mean really look at my rank! Clearly I'm not a beginner, and afaia it means beginner. 

And if I was a n00b would it be constructive to call me one? NO! It would be good to take me aside and teach me the finer points of the game. You never know, you might make an online buddy! People are so keen to hurl abuse at people. Try and be nicer

Last edited by Nuisance-Value (2006-02-12 06:00:16)

lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6861|Denver colorado
instead of saying noob or n00b put macros in your g15 keyboard to say l\l()()l3 or something
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6744
they actually BANNED you??

that server deserve to explode
ishbu
+0|6723
imo, its one of the stupid words out there.  i try not to say it, except about myself, since i am the biggest nub ever
OpsChief
+101|6708|Southern California
Maybe we have all assuemed too much...the word noob may actually come not from newbie,

meaning: to express newness..

but maybe it comes from;

Nubile meaning: Ready for marriage; of a marriageable age or condition. Used of young women
or Nub:  A protuberance or knob. A small lump.
or an acronym meaning: None of Our Business (NoOB)
or Nobility: the quality of being exalted in character or ideals or conduct

as I look at these any or all may apply depending on who is being described, or who is doing the describing. 

Interestingly what I discovered in my exhaustive researching of this article was that noob actually finds its roots in the word "Knuckleheads" but that is too hard to spell when you are playing a computer game at 90mph so the "K" was dropped first because you don't hear it when you say Knuckle. Sans "K" leaving the "nu" coupled with the "B" from the phrase buttheads which sounds like knuckleheads kinda but easier to spell, hence "noobs" was crafted; "noo" from the knuckleheads and "bs" from the buttheads.

The newfoundling dictionary has the word "noob" as the only word in the worlds languages that when spoken actually applies to the user of the word and not his subject!!!!

Class dismissed.

Last edited by OpsChief (2006-02-11 18:45:28)

mpsmith
+5|6704
The word "noob" is retarded anyway. Are you 12?
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6737|Antarctica
Just use n0ob
chitlin
Banned
+36|6794
im all for it .. anything to get these douchebags to stop saying it
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6742
on my server anyone can say what they want as long its not to extreme, the only thing i hate is rascism now that piss's me offother than that feel free to say whatever you want, but i have been kicked for saying the word n00b before i just went back in there and kept typing in words to see what would kick me, n00b was the only one
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6770
had this happen once...  Never played there again

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard