JonskyGBR
+5|6673|England
Anybody know how these things work

I currently have a AMD Athlon64 3500+ that clocks in @ 2.2GHz

An AMD Athlon64x2 Dual Core 4200+ also clocks in @ 2.2GHz

So is it 2x1.1GHz or 2x2.2Ghz or neither ???

Will I see much of a difference if I got one ?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
neither. its just having 2 cpu's into one, it can use 2 proccesing threads instead of one, therefore decreasing lag. go get 4200+ dual core if u have the money
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
IlIlIlIlIl
make it funny plz
+3|6749|Netherlands
i got a 4400+ and just saw that the 4800+ is out to
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6711
4800+'s been out for forever

anyway if you can afford them, buy dual cores

but it doesn't effect much in gaming

games nowadays hardly supports 64bit... we don't need dual core cpu just for gaming yet
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
but they will for the future, so buy dual core now is the best if u want to upgrade pc
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6744|I'm worldwide, beotch

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

neither. its just having 2 cpu's into one, it can use 2 proccesing threads instead of one, therefore decreasing lag. go get 4200+ dual core if u have the money
Yeah, no. Since BF2 (like basically all games today) is single thread, tests have shown 2 cores do not make a difference.. not yet.
sparklet
Banned
+34|6747|stop corecting my grammer!!!!!
Amd Fx 57 Rocks
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

sparklet wrote:

Amd Fx 57 Rocks
no it doesnt, the FX 60 rocks! in facts, its the only cpu in our time to achieve teh_roxxorz!
sparklet
Banned
+34|6747|stop corecting my grammer!!!!!
who cares FX 57 IS still good
DeadJim
+19|6748|Valencia, California
Dual Core Notes:

Hey X2 owners - here's a tip in case you weren't aware:

BF2 doesn't intrinsically support a dual-core environment.  This can run into problems during game play, especially on LAN games or when you are attached to a server with a very low ping count (Basically, high ping servers force your machine to run 'slower').

Resolution:

(1) Run Task Manager
    [Start]
    [Run]
    taskmgr
    [Ok]

(2) Launch Battlefield
(3) Alt-Tab over to Task manager and switch to the [Processes] tab
(4) Locate BF2.exe and right-click on it
(5) [Set Affinity...] to CPU 0 Only (Uncheck CPU 1)
(6) Close Task Manager, and alt-tab back to BF2

You have to do this each time you launch the game - its a hassle, but the game truly will run better if only more stable.  I have seen ways to modify the executible to automatically set the affinity - but I'm not sure how PunkBuster will react.

Last edited by DeadJim (2006-02-11 13:49:45)

BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6738|Finland
Well in game you won't see much difference. Biggest difference come, when another core can run all backround programs (firewall, viruscan etc.) and another core is just for the game (if you have many backround programs runnind there can be big difference). Biggest difference is while using Windows, packing/unpacking something etc. Like you can scan your system and play same time if you want and game won't lag. Also you can make many things at the same times without slowdown. If you have money buy that double core. Even you won't see huge difference in the game, you will see huge difference while using Windows and multiple programs at the same time.

Last edited by BlueScreen (2006-02-11 13:56:48)

DeadJim
+19|6748|Valencia, California

BlueScreen wrote:

Well in game you won't see much difference.
uh...aside from the fact that BF2 won't Kick you out to desktop without warning..... 

Do a google search, and you'll find that this affinity setting can address many spontanious unloads and Connection problems - feel free to not take my word for it, but you'll have to discount others' experiences as well.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6675|Planet Seibertron ;)
If you are still having issues with BF2 running on AMD dual-cores, download the drivers and then try again.  I've had no problem running BF2, although I never tried running in a LAN.  Dual-core processors will be beneficial in the long run, even though we do not see any major benefits now.  Like BlueScreen said, the difference is in multi-tasking where performing multiple tasks will help immensely when you have processes and programs running that takes time to run.

As for the clock speed... A dual-core processor clocked at 2.2GHz is defined as each core running at 2.2GHz speed.  The speed is always equal across all cores.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6728|Australia

DeadJim wrote:

Dual Core Notes:

Hey X2 owners - here's a tip in case you weren't aware:

BF2 doesn't intrinsically support a dual-core environment.  This can run into problems during game play, especially on LAN games or when you are attached to a server with a very low ping count (Basically, high ping servers force your machine to run 'slower').

Resolution:

(1) Run Task Manager
    [Start]
    [Run]
    taskmgr
    [Ok]

(2) Launch Battlefield

You have to do this each time you launch the game - its a hassle, but the game truly will run better if only more stable.  I have seen ways to modify the executible to automatically set the affinity - but I'm not sure how PunkBuster will react.
How does this make the game run better?

Its gunna run on 1 core anyway, its just gunna be juggled between the 2 cpus, so either way, it doesnt make any difference (btw my Core 1 is stronger than my Core 0)
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6728|Australia

sixshot wrote:

If you are still having issues with BF2 running on AMD dual-cores, download the drivers and then try again.  I've had no problem running BF2, although I never tried running in a LAN.  Dual-core processors will be beneficial in the long run, even though we do not see any major benefits now.  Like BlueScreen said, the difference is in multi-tasking where performing multiple tasks will help immensely when you have processes and programs running that takes time to run.

As for the clock speed... A dual-core processor clocked at 2.2GHz is defined as each core running at 2.2GHz speed.  The speed is always equal across all cores.
2.7ghz for me
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
so there will be no difference? im currently waiting for AMD's M2 chipsets coz of ddr2, i have ddr2 ram now...
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6728|Australia

washow wrote:

4800+'s been out for forever
AMD Released the Athlon X2 4800+ First, along with the 4600+, 4400+ and 4200+

The 4800+ is clocked at 2.4ghz, and the 4400+ at 2.2ghz, both having 1mb of L2 cache per core (2mb cache altogether) The Core is codenamed Toledo
While the 4600+ is clocked at 2.4ghz, and 4200+ at 2.2ghz, both having 512kb L2 cache per core, This core's codename is Manchester

The 3800+ was released later, Clocked at 2.0ghz, with 512kb L2 Cache, with the Manchester core, although there have been some 3800+s with the Toledo Core, but with half the Toledo Cache disabled (i got one! ), still with 512kb. These tend to overclock better than their True Manchester Counterparts
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
so tolendo is better than manchester at ocing? im gonna get one when amd release m2 ^^
Sweetmate
+1|6750

DeadJim wrote:

Dual Core Notes:
Resolution:

(1) Run Task Manager
    [Start]
    [Run]
    taskmgr
    [Ok]

(2) Launch Battlefield

There is a much easier solution:

1. Install AMD X2 Processor driver from AMD site.
2. Install Micorsoft Dual Core Hotfix.

Done.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6675|Planet Seibertron ;)

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

so tolendo is better than manchester at ocing? im gonna get one when amd release m2 ^^
It's really hit-or-miss with o/c'ing.  Mine runs fine at 2.4GHz and it was a clockspeed I want to run it at.  I think mine happens to be Toledo cores but I haven't checked in a long while.  However, the cores you'll get when the M2 arrives will be different in codenames, all as a result of a different memory controller.
Atlas
+0|6680

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Not for BF2 he shouldn't get one. There is a bug with dual core processors so that every time you play the game you have to set it to only work off of one of them, otherwise you get disconnected from servers all the time. Trust me, I have the 4200 dual core. If it is just for BF2 don't even bother with dual core, it's more of an annoyance than anything. When you boot the game up you have to alt+tab out, ctrl+alt+del, find BF2.exe and set the affinity to CPU 0 every time.
Cyberwolf
Banned
+14|6691

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

sparklet wrote:

Amd Fx 57 Rocks
no it doesnt, the FX 60 rocks! in facts, its the only cpu in our time to achieve teh_roxxorz!
FX-60 = Big Waste of Money. You can easily overclock earlier models to beyond stock FX-60 speeds. In addition, Socket 939 is being discontinued for the newer M2 platform coming Quater 2 of this year. FX-60 is the last chip in the Socket 939 line. So if your considering upgrading...Wait a month or so to ensure future upgradability (plus DDR2 support in M2 platform)
Chaos81
+5|6688

Atlas wrote:

When you boot the game up you have to alt+tab out, ctrl+alt+del, find BF2.exe and set the affinity to CPU 0 every time.
Or you could just change the shortcut so it runs on one core when you click on it.

As for the person who said the FX-57 rocks, yes, it does if you have the money. But I think I'll stick with a $300 dual core that does 2.7 on both cores. But hey, I like having the extra $700, well, $500 now that the FX-60 came out, but you won't find the 170 for $300 anymore anyways.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6728|Australia

Atlas wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Not for BF2 he shouldn't get one. There is a bug with dual core processors so that every time you play the game you have to set it to only work off of one of them, otherwise you get disconnected from servers all the time. Trust me, I have the 4200 dual core. If it is just for BF2 don't even bother with dual core, it's more of an annoyance than anything. When you boot the game up you have to alt+tab out, ctrl+alt+del, find BF2.exe and set the affinity to CPU 0 every time.
what bug?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
ok prove me wrong abuot dual core makes more lag in bf2, assasin's got 3800+ dual core, he says no lag, i assume its true, but how can 1 core be worst than 2 cores? thats like saying SLI makes bf2 lag and no sli is better. atlas, i think u didnt download the CPU drivers, yes amd cpu's need drivers

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard