Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Winston_Churchill wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Or buying them used, online for a fraction of the cost. I payed 20 bucks for a book that would have cost me 90.
Err, I dont think you listened.  A fair amount of my books are brand new editions.  And I bought every book of mine but 1 that wasnt a new edition used.  Still cost me about $600 instead of $800ish.  Its not thaaat big of a difference

And credit cards are completely necessary here.  My debit card has a $200 swipe limit, whereas my credit card has a $1k limit.  Want to buy a nice winter jacket?  I'd have to walk around with a big wad of cash in my pocket to do so...  I never wait to pay it off anyway so I dont see the problem.  And building credit is always a plus.
Why the F do you have a swipe limit??? It's your money.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Putting anything on credit is a losing proposition. Want to own a home? Save up over 5-10 years and pay cash. Why give the banks hundreds of thousands of dollars?
You'd have to save like $30,000 a year to buy a home in either the hood or the sticks around here.
maybe 20,000 if you find a good deal. And that'd be for a 2BR.
well John?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

Because its a student account, no fees on anything but limited everything.  I dont want to pay to store my money and credit card is free (actually its better than free since I get Air Miles and credit rating) so its much better to use credit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

You'd have to save like $30,000 a year to buy a home in either the hood or the sticks around here.
well John?
Well what? I already said I planned to save 60-70k a year. It's not going to sit in a savings account either. I'm currently up 22% on my investments since June so depending on how those go will be a better judge of when I'll be buying a home.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5006|Massachusetts, USA

Toilet Sex wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Toilet Sex wrote:

poseidon, haibai and rukus comparing fail notes is painful to read
The difference between us is that I'm completely not serious.
the only difference is haibai is probably the most retarded
Well, as long as I'm not the most retarded, I'm okay with it.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

well John?
Well what? I already said I planned to save 60-70k a year. It's not going to sit in a savings account either. I'm currently up 22% on my investments since June so depending on how those go will be a better judge of when I'll be buying a home.
And what salary are you gonna be making? 60-70K a year in savings is more than what most people make in a year dude.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

well John?
And what salary are you gonna be making? 60-70K a year in savings is more than what most people make in a year dude.
Ahh well between me and my gf we'll be close to a net of $200k. About $125k after taxes.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I know that's not realistic for most, but even on a smaller salary, if you live within your means and don't fall into the trap of thinking that ostentatious displays of wealth are necessary to feel good about yourself, you can get by very well on very little and have a lot to show for it instead of massive debt. It's all about self control and the ability to resist the desire for instant gratification.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-10-31 17:01:04)

-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6541

so that's around £12,000 a year then
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Toilet Sex wrote:

$200k is £124,610.59
-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6541

loose change
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668

Toilet Sex wrote:

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

I know that's not realistic for most, but even on a smaller salary, if you live within your means and don't fall into the trap of thinking that ostentatious displays of wealth are necessary to feel good about yourself, you can get by very well on very little and have a lot to show for it instead of massive debt. It's all about self control and the ability to resist the desire for instant gratification.
Hmm... you might be on to something. I did a rough calculation and if you really lived frugally and simply, you could save $200,000 on a $50,000 salary in about 8.5 years. But that'd still only get you a house that's pretty far from where work is.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5478|America
https://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/Blade4509/cheer-up-kiddo.gif
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hmm... you might be on to something. I did a rough calculation and if you really lived frugally and simply, you could save $200,000 on a $50,000 salary in about 8.5 years. But that'd still only get you a house that's pretty far from where work is.
You're ignoring investment. Assume an average annual return of 10-15%. It's amazing how quickly compound interest makes small sums very large.

For example: ($50,000 * (1.15)^8.5) = $164,021.82

50,000 invested at 15% annual for 8.5 years turns into $164k.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-10-31 17:14:38)

-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You're ignoring investment. Assume an average annual return of 10-15%. It's amazing how quickly compound interest makes small sums very large.
yeah I have shit luck, I'd probably accidentally invest it in either a pyramid scheme or something that ends up like GM.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

yeah I have shit luck, I'd probably accidentally invest it in either a pyramid scheme or something that ends up like GM.
I recommend a high yield bond fund if you don't want to do any homework.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Duly noted. But I'm guessing that it's not a high yield as stocks?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I thought this was the "cheer up" thread, not the "get butthurt and super defensive" thread. Oh no wait, that happens with every thread regarding this particular poster.

And yes, I'm still catching up on the last 5 pages. A great read indeed!

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-10-31 17:53:21)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Duly noted. But I'm guessing that it's not a high yield as stocks?
It's a fixed rate rather than floating like stocks. They have high yields because there's risk involved. Average default rate is about 10% but you counter that by buying into a fund which diversifies for you.
-Frederick Bastiat
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Toilet Sex wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Toilet Sex wrote:

poseidon, haibai and rukus comparing fail notes is painful to read
smarter than you
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6541

HaiBai wrote:

Toilet Sex wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

smarter than you
i'd ask you to send proof by mail but you'll struggle
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I liked Toilet Sex before EE chat. Back when he was still background noise on the forum.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

HaiBai wrote:

Toilet Sex wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

smarter than you
I remember getting straight-A's in middle/high school without even trying and thinking I was the smartest person in the world.

I wasn't, and neither are you.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6541

Macbeth wrote:

I liked Toilet Sex before EE chat. Back when he was still background noise on the forum.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard