Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

We already do have a great education system.
I doubt that.... 

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/ … 011210.htm

https://i47.tinypic.com/1z4a0ax.jpg

Of the OECD countries, we look pretty mediocre.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I doubt that.... 

http://i47.tinypic.com/1z4a0ax.jpg

Again, throwing more money at the situation does nothing to improve it. What do you propose to fix it?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Actually, taxes often encourage companies to stay. Spend it on infrastructure, security, R&D, education etc. and they end up better off than if they weren't taxed. If Sudan offer a 0% corporate tax rate big business isn't going to be flooding there any time soon.

To put it another way, really big businesses need a really big nanny state to suckle from and save their asses when they mess up.

Also, you can literally stop companies from leaving the country, you just have to bring back something like the Bretton-Woods capital controls that prevent people and companies from moving their capital out of the country.
High corporate taxes encouraging business to stay.. I do believe I've heard it all now. Sudan is a ridiculous example. Of course there needs to be some sustainable infrastructure. That isn't to say that all countries that offer tax breaks for job creators are hell holes.

Nanny state? More like communism.
Actually, there are flaws in both of your perspectives.

On the one hand, you are correct that high corporate taxes encourage corporations to move elsewhere.  This is why corporate taxes in the majority of the First World are low -- lower than ours in fact.  We have lower personal income taxes, but they have lower corporate taxes.  This means that wealth is easier to hoard among individuals in America, whereas wealth tends to get reinvested more in Europe.

The goal shouldn't be to tax companies more, but letting the market completely clear itself without restrictions isn't the answer either.

Protectionism in the form of stricter labor laws and stricter hiring requirements for businesses to sell their products in a domestic market without tariffs work quite well for most of Europe.

So protectionism can work quite well in some contexts, but it's not about taxation as much as it is about labor requirements.
What's with everyone going to extremes lately? Our personal taxes aren't that low. Most comparison aren't counting local state, county, and property taxes. What makes you think wealth isn't reinvested in America? Because (you think) it isn't taken from earners by force? It most certainly is. I smell some wealthy envy here.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I doubt that.... 

Again, throwing more money at the situation does nothing to improve it. What do you propose to fix it?
Good question...  it looks like we should consider using Finland as a role model....  They're pretty good with all 3 categories.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

What's with everyone going to extremes lately? Our personal taxes aren't that low. Most comparison aren't counting local state, county, and property taxes. What makes you think wealth isn't reinvested in America? Because (you think) it isn't taken from earners by force? It most certainly is. I smell some wealthy envy here.
Ok, let me get this straight.  I explain to you how our system matches up to others in the form of taxation, and you accuse me of wealth envy.

Who's going to extremes now?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Ok, let me get this straight.  I explain to you how our system matches up to others in the form of taxation, and you accuse me of wealth envy.

"Hoarding Americans".. you're bitter. Just admit it and we can end this dance.

lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

lol
You tried to pull this same bullshit a few months ago.  I'm not sure what happened over the last year to you, but there was a time when you were a lot more levelheaded about things.

But I'll continue this "dance" just to finally get through to you.  Maybe hoarding was too strong of a word, but the general idea is sound, unless of course, you don't believe that taxation has a bearing on investment, which of course, would invalidate your views that lower taxes are better.

So please, make up your mind.  Which is it, pray tell?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

O jeez .. what happened to me? You're too wound up man. Maybe you missed the lol. Relax and maybe I may reappear as level headed to you.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lol
You tried to pull this same bullshit a few months ago.  I'm not sure what happened over the last year to you, but there was a time when you were a lot more levelheaded about things.

But I'll continue this "dance" just to finally get through to you.  Maybe hoarding was too strong of a word, but the general idea is sound, unless of course, you don't believe that taxation has a bearing on investment, which of course, would invalidate your views that lower taxes are better.

Btw, you do understand that whether it's corporate or individual, the money is still invested, right?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kmarion wrote:

O jeez .. what happened to me? You're too wound up man. Maybe you missed the lol. Relax and maybe I may reappear as level headed to you.
He received a libertarian overload
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5592

Turquoise wrote:

accuse me of wealth envy.
At least he didn't accuse you of penis envy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Mac, why are you so envious of my penis?
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5592

JohnG@lt wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I've never seen it so I would not know how large it is or if I should be envious.

Nice try with the loaded question troll.

Reported.

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-02-05 15:37:11)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I've never seen it so I would not know how large it is or if I should be envious.

Nice try with the loaded question troll.

Reported.
-Frederick Bastiat
PureFodder
+225|6292

Kmarion wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You can't MAKE a company operate in your borders. The only thing taxes do is ensure that they don't.
Actually, taxes often encourage companies to stay. Spend it on infrastructure, security, R&D, education etc. and they end up better off than if they weren't taxed. If Sudan offer a 0% corporate tax rate big business isn't going to be flooding there any time soon.

To put it another way, really big businesses need a really big nanny state to suckle from and save their asses when they mess up.

Also, you can literally stop companies from leaving the country, you just have to bring back something like the Bretton-Woods capital controls that prevent people and companies from moving their capital out of the country.
High corporate taxes encouraging business to stay.. I do believe I've heard it all now. Sudan is a ridiculous example. Of course there needs to be some sustainable infrastructure. That isn't to say that all countries that offer tax breaks for job creators are hell holes.

Nanny state? More like communism.
There are plenty of stable countries with significantly lower corporate taxes than places like the US and UK, yet companies don't flock there. The reason is that they know what they're getting for their tax money, and what they'd miss out on if they moved.

I'm not sure why you bring up comminism, I was describing the current nanny state system we have in most rich western countries. Unless you think the US and UK are communist?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

The fact that America doesn't do this sort of thing very often may aid our economy in terms of attracting investment and attracting entrepreneurs, but it also makes us much more vulnerable to outsourcing than any other First World country.
Thats exactly what the US does, much more so than most other countries.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

lol

Btw, you do understand that whether it's corporate or individual, the money is still invested, right?
Yes, but the difference is that lower corporate taxes encourage more reinvestment within your own company rather than as much emphasis on investments that are more personal in orientation.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The fact that America doesn't do this sort of thing very often may aid our economy in terms of attracting investment and attracting entrepreneurs, but it also makes us much more vulnerable to outsourcing than any other First World country.
Thats exactly what the US does, much more so than most other countries.
No, we're actually far less protectionist than Europe or Australia for that matter.

Edit: for accuracy.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-02-07 11:32:52)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yes, but the difference is that lower corporate taxes encourage more reinvestment within your own company rather than as much emphasis on investments that are more personal in orientation.
Investment is investment. Regardless of the taxes a company will reinvest in itself as long as it's profitable. In many markets, especially in mature industries, the market is saturated and the law of diminishing returns has long since arrived. In these mature industries the only real outlet for investment is via mergers and acquisitions and that's highly risky, especially when the company is in a completely different field. Much better off paying a higher dividend and investing on a personal level at that point.

Until the saturation point? Yeah, investment in the business is paramount and most companies do just this. All but the most poorly run companies try to maximize market share at all times.

Edit - Besides, investment by it's very nature has risk inherent in it. Would you prefer individuals soaking up most of the risk or the companies themselves?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-02-06 21:20:03)

-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Investment is investment. Regardless of the taxes a company will reinvest in itself as long as it's profitable. In many markets, especially in mature industries, the market is saturated and the law of diminishing returns has long since arrived. In these mature industries the only real outlet for investment is via mergers and acquisitions and that's highly risky, especially when the company is in a completely different field. Much better off paying a higher dividend and investing on a personal level at that point.

Until the saturation point? Yeah, investment in the business is paramount and most companies do just this. All but the most poorly run companies try to maximize market share at all times.
If that's the case, then all that matters is that your corporate taxes remain less than comparable countries in terms of standard of living and level of skilled labor.

I suppose the same could be said for personal taxes.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6555|San Diego, CA, USA

PureFodder wrote:

There are plenty of stable countries with significantly lower corporate taxes than places like the US and UK, yet companies don't flock there. The reason is that they know what they're getting for their tax money, and what they'd miss out on if they moved.
Correct me where I'm wrong but don't many International Corporations base their HQ in Ireland and Switzerland?

Switzerland has an active campaign to woo corporations.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

If that's the case, then all that matters is that your corporate taxes remain less than comparable countries in terms of standard of living and level of skilled labor.

I suppose the same could be said for personal taxes.
Yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I doubt that.... 

Granted, the data's from 2001...

https://www.data360.org/temp/dsg698_850_450.jpg

But as of the 07-08 academic year, we had 623,805 international students enrolled in our colleges. That set a record, so I'm guessing we're still in the lead.

Seems weird that we've got so many international students if our educational system sucks so bad in comparison.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6688|Disaster Free Zone

Turquoise wrote:

No, we're actually far less protectionist than Australia.
That made me laugh.

Your 'protection free' in the areas it suits you, and just like Australia protects its auto industry through subsidies, the US protects it's agriculture.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6681|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I doubt that.... 

Granted, the data's from 2001...

http://www.data360.org/temp/dsg698_850_450.jpg

But as of the 07-08 academic year, we had 623,805 international students enrolled in our colleges. That set a record, so I'm guessing we're still in the lead.

Seems weird that we've got so many international students if our educational system sucks so bad in comparison.
I would point out that the US has about four times the population of the UK/Germany etc...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard