androoz
Banned
+137|5218|United States

LividBovine wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most parents raise children for their own benefit, not for the benefit of the child.
Ok, I'll bite.  What the heck are you talking about?
to make themselves feel better, impress family, avoid loneliness, etc. dunno just speculating.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6384|MN

androoz wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most parents raise children for their own benefit, not for the benefit of the child.
Ok, I'll bite.  What the heck are you talking about?
to make themselves feel better, impress family, avoid loneliness, etc. dunno just speculating.
I can see the having children part, but the raising part is what I am curious about.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6360|England - Kent
Director of ICT Procurement I almost thought I had it the other day to oh well!!! Better luck next time

Last edited by xRBLx (2010-02-09 16:53:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX
Re raising children.

A lot of parents do it to boost their egos, to try to undo the failures of their own lives by living vicariously through their children, to impress other people with their children's achievements and thus boost their own standing, because they're inadequate and need someone/something to boss around or yell at when they're angry, to save their failed marriage etc.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5363|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Re raising children.

A lot of parents do it to boost their egos, to try to undo the failures of their own lives by living vicariously through their children, to impress other people with their children's achievements and thus boost their own standing, because they're inadequate and need someone/something to boss around or yell at when they're angry, to save their failed marriage etc.
Maybe your own parents did this... Not all do. Mine certainly didn't have kids for any of those reasons. Some people just genuinely like kids...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Of course not all do, but many do.
Some people just genuinely like kids...
But why exactly?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6650
owning this site and enforcing totalitarian rule!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6672

burnzz wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

burnzz wrote:

what about those that can't?
Can't what?  Have children?
correct - my wife and i have been married sixteen years, had two adoptions fall through, tried almost twenty tests/procedures, and the result so far was one near fatal tubal pregnancy.

trying to enjoy a meal at a nice restaurant, going to a movie - sometimes i feel i could kill a kid. being around nieces and nephews, i will tell you that women aren't the only ones that feel something is missing, that the clock is almost done ticking.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/421 … 264a12.jpg

Christmas time, birthdays. in ten years time i'll almost be ready to retire, and i'll probably see the world and spend all my worldly wealth.

because there will be no one to leave it to.
Just be the best damn uncle around.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6384|MN

Dilbert_X wrote:

But why exactly?
Because they are .  I can see how some parents may raise their children for selfish reasons, but to say most do seems quite wrong from the experiences I have had with a large number of parents.  While the initial reason for conceiving may not be altruistic, the end result of having to raise the child/children is doing what is best for the child, or at least what you think is best for the child/children.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6672

LividBovine wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But why exactly?
Because they are .  I can see how some parents may raise their children for selfish reasons, but to say most do seems quite wrong from the experiences I have had with a large number of parents.  While the initial reason for conceiving may not be altruistic, the end result of having to raise the child/children is doing what is best for the child, or at least what you think is best for the child/children.
You really just don't know until you have a kid.  When I bring my young one upstairs to bed after he has fallen asleep on the couch, tuck him in, give him a kiss to the forehead, and then look at him for a bit.  You just know.  As much as I love my wife, I would give up my life first to save my kids.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6512
a) dead
b) mental asylum
c) jail
d)????
e)profit
androoz
Banned
+137|5218|United States

CanadianLoser wrote:

a) dead
b) mental asylum
c) jail
d)????
e)profit
'd' is probably gonna be me lol.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Ilocano wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But why exactly?
You really just don't know until you have a kid.  When I bring my young one upstairs to bed after he has fallen asleep on the couch, tuck him in, give him a kiss to the forehead, and then look at him for a bit.  You just know.  As much as I love my wife, I would give up my life first to save my kids.
Dilbert doesn't have kids. He hasn't a clue what he's talking about, nor can he possibly relate to what you're talking about.

Last edited by FEOS (2010-02-10 02:59:09)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But I've been a kid, and observed other parents with their kids.
Just because what I'm saying does not fit with your generalisation doesn't mean its wrong.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

But I've been a kid, and observed other parents with their kids.
Just because what I'm saying does not fit with your generalisation doesn't mean its wrong.
You're generalizing about the wrong end of the equation, though. You could generalize about how a kid views things, as you've been a kid and that may carry some weight, but your generalization of the motivations of parents carries no weight whatsoever.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Motivation of some parents.

In some asian countries girls are occasionally killed at birth - cost-benefit of raising a girl does not compute, where are your lofty ideals there?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6669|NT, like Mick Dundee

Well given that I'm in a totally different situation than I'd have guessed 3 years ago, I'm not even gonna try guess the next 10 years.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Motivation of some parents.

In some asian countries girls are occasionally killed at birth - cost-benefit of raising a girl does not compute, where are your lofty ideals there?
So are you generalizing that those cultural mores somehow obviate all beneficent motivations by parents writ large?
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

So are you generalizing that those cultural mores somehow obviate all beneficent motivations by parents writ large?
Not at all, just saying there are exceptions to the idea that all parents solely want the best for their kids for purely altruistic reasons.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Not at all, just saying there are exceptions to the idea that all parents solely want the best for their kids for purely altruistic reasons.
Never said that all parents are altruistic. Clearly some are not--there is clear evidence of that. But your generalization that parents have kids to live vicariously and whatnot without the qualifier of "some" or "a few" is just utterly flawed.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you read the thread you'll see the qualifiers.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you read the thread you'll see the qualifiers.
I DID read the thread. Hence the discussion.

"A lot" was the qualifier you used.

Makes a world of difference. You qualified your generalization with a majority qualifier rather than a minority qualifier.

Did YOU read it? I mean it WAS your post and all.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, a lot and many means a large number, not necessarily a majority.
FEOS
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, a lot and many means a large number, not necessarily a majority.
Same difference. A large number rather than a small number.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatever, doesn't matter anyway.
My sample set is probably skewed from being dumped at boarding school with a bunch of fellow dumpees.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard