Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6695|Canberra, AUS
OK, here's the deal.

RU-486 is a drug.

One of its uses is to effect a non-surgical abortion.

It was prevented (vetoed) from going to the TGA (therapeutic goods admin) by the Health minister, Tony Abbot.

After a VERY VERY heated debate, a bill was passed through the Senate refuting the veto. Now it has to get approval by the House of Reps before going to the TGA.

Thoughts on this?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6792|Atlanta, GA USA
There was a lot of debate about RU-486 in the States for a while, but it has died down.  The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved RU-486 in 2000.  YOu don't really hear much about it anymore here. (at least I don't)
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6785|Dallas
A pill that kills babies?  So..it's not ok to throw your baby in a dumpster or in a lake  but you can sure as hell take a pill and flush it down the toilet.

The world is so fucked up.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6715|San Francisco
Fine by me.  It's a consenting decision that the mother has to make when going to a Planned Parenthood clinic.  They are told of the pros and cons of the non-surgical drug (which usually involves a lot of pain plus counseling for what they are about to do), and it's then their choice as to which method they want to use to abort the baby. 
And cougar, that's a topic that can be argued until everyone is blue in the face, but the pill is meant to abort the baby before the third trimester, before it is even considered a separate being from the mother.  If the pill is used towards the later part of the pregnancy, then it will more than likely cause the mother physical pain.  I still feel that it's not a separate being until it is fully birthed and out of the mother.
jord
+2,382|6699|The North, beyond the wall.
dont get it.
oberst_enzian
+234|6763|melb.au

Marconius wrote:

Fine by me.  It's a consenting decision that the mother has to make when going to a Planned Parenthood clinic.  They are told of the pros and cons of the non-surgical drug (which usually involves a lot of pain plus counseling for what they are about to do), and it's then their choice as to which method they want to use to abort the baby. 
And cougar, that's a topic that can be argued until everyone is blue in the face, but the pill is meant to abort the baby before the third trimester, before it is even considered a separate being from the mother.  If the pill is used towards the later part of the pregnancy, then it will more than likely cause the mother physical pain.  I still feel that it's not a separate being until it is fully birthed and out of the mother.
right on. it's a matter for a woman and her doctor, and especially not politicians, or those holding some religious/ideological beliefs that she might not (in other words, politicians and religious groups should never be allowed to dictate these decisions for everyone, which is what the Australian debate is about - should the (Catholic) health minister have the power to prevent its introduction, rather than the experts (Therapeutic Goods ADministration). let alone those who literally cannot understand what it means to be pregnant, especially if it's resulting from tragic circumstance such as rape (Cougar I'm assuming you're a guy here, by all means correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-02-13 18:22:34)

Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6709
Drugs are bad.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6806|Perth, Western Australia

oberst_enzian wrote:

Marconius wrote:

right on. it's a matter for a woman and her doctor, and especially not politicians, or those holding some religious/ideological beliefs that she might not (in other words, politicians and religious groups should never be allowed to dictate these decisions for everyone, which is what the Australian debate is about - should the (Catholic) health minister have the power to prevent its introduction, rather than the experts (Therapeutic Goods ADministration). let alone those who literally cannot understand what it means to be pregnant, especially if it's resulting from tragic circumstance such as rape (Cougar I'm assuming you're a guy here, by all means correct me if I'm wrong).
Id type my own views but it would probably look much like these two
AdamEcks
+1|6724|Canada, Eh.
To me, people that are 100% Pro-Life are NO DIFFERENT than people in the KKK or other organization/people that force their beliefs on people. Leave it Pro-Choice and give people some freedom.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6757|Salt Lake City

Cougar wrote:

A pill that kills babies?  So..it's not ok to throw your baby in a dumpster or in a lake  but you can sure as hell take a pill and flush it down the toilet.

The world is so fucked up.
RU-486 was designed to be a "morning after" pill, ideally used to stop the pregnancy before the cells have even finished dividing, assuming there was even a pregnancy at all.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6715|San Francisco
Even the term "pro-life" is stupid.  Don't they ever think that if you were "pro-CHOICE" you'd have the CHOICE of not getting an abortion?  I'f completely with AdamEcks on this one.
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6834
Better fucking one life than 2
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6695|Canberra, AUS

Greenie_Beazinie wrote:

Better fucking one life than 2
What's that meant to mean???
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard