Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose ``The Catcher in the Rye'' shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.
http://www.1010wins.com/-Catcher-in-the … t-/6229912
As much as people talk about The Catcher in the Rye, I still haven't read it. Gotta get on that sometime.

So did the book change your life like a lot of people claimed it did for them?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

RIP, Mr. Salinger

this book should be on a short list.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
life-changing book, certainly

really quite saddened, but respect the guy a lot for the way he lived his life- admirable attitude to take when possessing a great talent

hopefully some material will come to be published by his estate, the world needs more JD
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

Didnt really like the book that much.  Just seemed like a teen angsty book, angry about everything.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
so read some of his other stuff, dumbie.

people like salinger don't come to be as reputed as they do because of one hot-shot book. didnt like the cliche title? then stop being a cliche reader.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-01-28 10:58:50)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
it's a good book... although I read it due to forced school reading, not on my own

RIP
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Uzique wrote:

so read some of his other stuff, dumbie.

people like salinger don't come to be as reputed as they do because of one hot-shot book. didnt like the cliche title? then stop being a cliche reader.
How about suggesting a book instead of being sarcastic?  I never said anything about the title, try reading properly.

I've probably read just as many books as you, stop being a pretentious douche.

Anyways, RIP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
pretentious douche? you're the one denouncing one of the 20th centuries great writers because you can't fucking check a wikipedia or amazon page... hardly taking an air of divine superiority here, am i? get some initiative and form an opinion on an author's works in the same way any other intelligent and reasonable person would.

or just

kys
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Uzique wrote:

pretentious douche? you're the one denouncing one of the 20th centuries great writers because you can't fucking check a wikipedia or amazon page... hardly taking an air of divine superiority here, am i? get some initiative and form an opinion on an author's works in the same way any other intelligent and reasonable person would.

or just

kys
I never said he sucked, just that I didnt like it.  So by looking that up I'd be getting other people's opinion on his books, just like I asked for yours?  Whats so hard about suggesting a book?

Look at 90% of the tech threads, why dont you tell people to just look at specs and everything instead of asking for opinions?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6237|Uk
only ever read Catcher in the Rye, which may have been ruined by the fact that we had to read it as part of our English GCSE but i didnt really enjoy it. can only assume that overall his range of books are well written and received though due to his reputation

anyone who reaches that kind of status in their certain field deserves a lot of respect so R.I.P.
SealXo
+309|6536
ending sucked
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
Wasn't that good of a book IMO. Seemed to be along the lines of one of those teen shows set in a high school, "Oh man, I'm feeling so many ways about stuff". Oh well, another one bites the dust.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

is that quote still my user title?

edit: indeed.

Last edited by Miggle (2010-01-28 12:11:18)

https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
13rin
+977|6480

DesertFox- wrote:

Wasn't that good of a book IMO. Seemed to be along the lines of one of those teen shows set in a high school, "Oh man, I'm feeling so many ways about stuff". Oh well, another one bites the dust.
I thought he was all ready dead... RIP.  I wonder if that guy who shot Lenon (chapman) had never obsesswith the book.  Imagine... .
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

DesertFox- wrote:

he
wrote
more
than
one
book

leave your high-school english class, philistine. fuck sake.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5962|Places 'n such

Uzique wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

he
wrote
more
than
one
book

High school english class... You said people should base an opinion on what they read on wikipedia and amazon...
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Uzique wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

he
wrote
more
than
one
book

I was responding to the OP

Macbeth wrote:

So did the book change your life like a lot of people claimed it did for them?
I obviously can't remark about his other works because, as you surmised, I didn't read them. As a result of not liking CitR, I don't think I shall, either.
P.S. The mental image in my head of your post was that of James May saying it. Lolphilistines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

presidentsheep wrote:

Uzique wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

he
wrote
more
than
one
book

High school english class... You said people should base an opinion on what they read on wikipedia and amazon...
actually i responded to his 'well what other books of his can i read?' dumb-question with a very-simple solution: check fucking amazon

dont try and retort with any form of wit if you're just a dumb cnut

desert, i figured an intelligent chap such as yourself would be able to surmise that this thread is about the death of the author, not the death of a single book. thus you can understand why judging everything or passing a general comment about one single novel kinda stinks of ignorance and dumbassery when reflecting on the life of a great intellectual character.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-01-28 15:06:06)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
im not a big mel gibson fan
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Force-read at school, don't remember anything about it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Howard Zinn died yesterday too
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Uzique wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Uzique wrote:

he
wrote
more
than
one
book

actually i responded to his 'well what other books of his can i read?' dumb-question with a very-simple solution: check fucking amazon
For claiming to be some superior authority when it comes to reading you really cant read well.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I never said he sucked, just that I didnt like it.  So by looking that up I'd be getting other people's opinion on his books, just like I asked for yours?  Whats so hard about suggesting a book?

Look at 90% of the tech threads, why dont you tell people to just look at specs and everything instead of asking for opinions?
I never said "well what other books of his can I read", I asked for your fucking suggestion, which you still seem incapable of giving.  Quit being such an elitist asshole around here and try to be helpful for once.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Uzi, your posts are onerous.

All I can say, no more Timothy McVeighs.

Apt Pupil by Stephen King or The Long Walk by Richard Bachman are far better teenage angst novels.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

ATG wrote:

Stephen King or Richard Bachman
what's the difference?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard