Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
This is my warning to you. If you have investments in stock dump them as soon as you can. Because of the populist bullshit they're talking about blocking Bernanke's appointment to the Fed. If they successfully block his appointment it will send shock waves through the stock market, starting with bank stocks. Pull out now and if he is re-appointed on Jan 31, feel free to jump back in. Until then? Hold your breath because I see another crash coming.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
ill still hold on to my chipotle stock.  made me tons of cash.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

11 Bravo wrote:

Do you own Chipotl-away stock as well?

Galt, why are they blocking his appointment to the Fed? And why should that cause the market to crash?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Galt, why are they blocking his appointment to the Fed? And why should that cause the market to crash?
The market is based on trust and stability. They're blocking his appointment because politicians are trying to score brownie points with constituents who are angry over the bank bailouts. Blocking the Fed chairmens appointment creates instability and will possibly cause a stock market crash. I fucking hate politicians.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned

ghettoperson wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

cmg...that all i know brah.  and i take the buffet approach to things like that.  if people like it...it will always do good.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

ITT: John Galt attempts to cause a panic.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Hwy G@lt you're about a year too late but thanks for the warning

By the way I'm assuming you have money in the stock market...did you divest?
androoz
Banned
+137|5212|United States

JohnG@lt wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

The market is based on trust and stability. They're blocking his appointment because politicians are trying to score brownie points with constituents who are angry over the bank bailouts. Blocking the Fed chairmens appointment creates instability and will possibly cause a stock market crash. I fucking hate politicians.
How do you figure this John? ALL stock is going bad if he's not re-appointed?
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

Macbeth wrote:

ITT: John Galt attempts to cause a panic.
this
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom
if GE crashes then its nuclear holocaust.  I got in at 10.71

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-01-23 11:25:35)

Tu Stultus Es
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

eleven bravo wrote:

My dad still has stock options in GE for $40 a share lol
androoz
Banned
+137|5212|United States

ghettoperson wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Is that bad? Doesn't the government own GE now anyway?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom

ghettoperson wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

went under $6 at one point
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5258|foggy bottom

androoz wrote:

Doesn't the government own GE now anyway?
no.
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned

androoz wrote:

Doesn't the government own GE now anyway?
about as much as they own barclays
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

androoz wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Given they're currently trading at about $16 a share, you'd have to be rather stupid to use them. He got them nearly 10 years ago now. And no, the government doesn't own GE.
androoz
Banned
+137|5212|United States

ghettoperson wrote:

androoz wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Given they're currently trading at about $16 a share, you'd have to be rather stupid to use them. He got them nearly 10 years ago now. And no, the government doesn't own GE.
Is he just gonna hold onto them and hope they recover?

And maybe I was thinking of GM.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

As far as I know they don't expire, so I suppose if GE ever hits the high 50's again he might use them. He'll have newer ones that are actually useful though, at more relevant prices.
androoz
Banned
+137|5212|United States
I wanna invest in KO but I have no idea how and no money atm lol.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

If you've got no money you want to buy stock in companies that are selling for a few dollars per share, not 50.
androoz
Banned
+137|5212|United States

ghettoperson wrote:

If you've got no money you want to buy stock in companies that are selling for a few dollars per share, not 50.
Like what companies though? Isn't Johnson & Johnson pretty cheap or nah?

And how much are mutual funds and index funds?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
I wish I bought over 9000 stocks back in February.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5993|Truthistan
Stock market crash if Bernanke's appointment is held up.

Sounds like a scare tactic just like the bailouts, I say call their bluff, and clean house. I for once would like to see them follow through on the threats. If for anything, just to see what happens, I bet the stock market would go down and then surprise surprise get talked right back up again. But before all this happens I bet the Goldman Sachs ant trail carrying money bags leading to congress will be in full swing.

I sometimes wonder if this saber rattling isn't really a shake down for graft.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Blocking the Fed chairmens appointment creates instability and will possibly cause a stock market crash. I fucking hate politicians.
If its that unstable then its overvalued, I thought you were in favour of letting the market regulate itself anyway?

Obama needs to call a lot of bluffs and stabilise the market, too bad if banks can't make the mega profits they enjoyed at our expense.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN
The market does need to regulate itself.  The Fed needs to go away.  If we ever get to the point that these things are happening, the market will go crazy for a while.  Once things bottom out, things will fall into place nicely.  There will always be ups and downs in the market.  The idea that the Government can control the market only makes the swings more wild and require more intervention to help stabilize it, thus creating larger swings.  Or something like that.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard