cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6692|NJ
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 … 796032.htm

This just seems disgusting to me, spending alot of money on something other then necessities.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5909|...

I guess some people believe that god, the bible and prayer will fix everything.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
This is why pagans love eclipses.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone
"The Proclaimer is self-powered and can play the Bible ... ... even on the moon!"
Too bad you wont be able to hear the fucking thing... douches.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
I mean, Haiti is probably mostly Christian anyway, or something like that. Shit like this can provide some sort of psychological relief. I wouldn't criticise it too much
cpt.fass1
+329|6692|NJ
Not criticising, just stating that the money sent on these bibles could have been better used for something that would help them live?

Also from the sounds of it, it doesn't even seem that they could make fires out of them.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-01-20 11:44:10)

tuckergustav
+1,590|5909|...

That is true.  However, some people think saving souls is more important than saving lives...not me though...
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5469|Ventura, California
The last thing they need is a Bible, they can just pray.

Send them food...seriously who sends a Bible? You can't eat a Bible...
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5909|...

-Sh1fty- wrote:

The last thing they need is a Bible, they can just pray.

Send them food...seriously who sends a Bible? You can't eat a Bible...
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7899/explanationdemotivation.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

How else can they repent from their pact with the Devil.
mikkel
+383|6597
You clearly haven't read the thing. If they ain't down with the g oh double dee, they ain't getting out of there alive.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7899/explanationdemotivation.jpg

Dat Ass
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464
The odd thing is, most Haitians are already Christian.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6175
From what I understand, 80% of Haiti is Catholic/ Christian and raised in that. So I am sure that many people will appreciate receiving something that supports their beliefs and uplifts them in some way. Remember, there probably aren't too many churches or cathedrals left or safe enough to go to.

What is wrong with somebody donating these. It isnt just about food or water. It is also about the spirit of the people, their belief system and morality. Maybe somebody listening will choose not to loot or rob and instead help. If it helps reinforce morals and helps people in their time of need...more power to them. I don't care if you believe in God or not, most Haitians do and this will do no harm.

Also, these bibles are similar to watching or listening to TV, if they don't want to listen, they can walk away. This is not being forced on them. It only provides a voice to people who want to hear. I am sure most of them will appreciate it and it is not costing anyone a dime to do so. I see no big deal simply because most people that live in Haiti are of that belief and probably appreciate any effort for their physical and mental well being.
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5716|Gulf Coast

I agree that the money used to pay for these digital bibles could have been better spent.  Maybe a decent camping chair and a sandwich for example.

tuckergustav wrote:

I guess some people believe that god, the bible and prayer will fix everything.
Well that would be nice since god apparently decided to cause this earthquake in the first place. After all this would be part of gods plan....right? I always hear that kind of thing from christians after a tragedy, death or whatever.
cpt.fass1
+329|6692|NJ

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

From what I understand, 80% of Haiti is Catholic/ Christian and raised in that. So I am sure that many people will appreciate receiving something that supports their beliefs and uplifts them in some way. Remember, there probably aren't too many churches or cathedrals left or safe enough to go to.

What is wrong with somebody donating these. It isnt just about food or water. It is also about the spirit of the people, their belief system and morality. Maybe somebody listening will choose not to loot or rob and instead help. If it helps reinforce morals and helps people in their time of need...more power to them. I don't care if you believe in God or not, most Haitians do and this will do no harm.

Also, these bibles are similar to watching or listening to TV, if they don't want to listen, they can walk away. This is not being forced on them. It only provides a voice to people who want to hear. I am sure most of them will appreciate it and it is not costing anyone a dime to do so. I see no big deal simply because most people that live in Haiti are of that belief and probably appreciate any effort for their physical and mental well being.
You're right it isn't just about food and water, Medicine is up there on that list as well.  If your basement was wrecked I wouldn't bring you shingles.

If 80% of them are already in the religion I can see this actually causing more harm then good.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6175

cpt.fass1 wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

You're right it isn't just about food and water, Medicine is up there on that list as well.  If your basement was wrecked I wouldn't bring you shingles.

If 80% of them are already in the religion I can see this actually causing more harm then good.
How could it do more harm than good? Why does there have to be a measure of how good or bad it is. It is something that can be helpful to people who actually believe in what the bible is and most of that country does. I doubt anyone will complain about a few hundred audio bibles that people will sit and listen to.

Again, no one is forcing anyone to listen to this, anyone can walk past or away and it isnt costing anyone money. Again, it isnt only about physical, medical help, I am sure some want spiritual help as well and there is nothing wrong with offering that.
cpt.fass1
+329|6692|NJ
It's the equivalent of the parents who prayed for their daughter to get better instead of taking her to a doctor.

I'm saying it's going to do more harm then good for the people who are sending them. They're using it as an agenda to get conversion. Now imagine you're in haiti with nothing to eat or drink and you get a package from some well to do Christians from the U.S.. You open it up hoping for much needed supplies to survive your journey and it's a plastic bible with a solar panel on it.. What would you do?

This is just a kind jab, don't take offense..
If my house is ever on fire, please sit at home and pray don't come and help.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6485|Gogledd Cymru

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm saying it's going to do more harm then good for the people who are sending them.
I think it's more about advertising their product than anything, however it looks like it may damage their sales.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6175

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's the equivalent of the parents who prayed for their daughter to get better instead of taking her to a doctor.

I'm saying it's going to do more harm then good for the people who are sending them. They're using it as an agenda to get conversion. Now imagine you're in haiti with nothing to eat or drink and you get a package from some well to do Christians from the U.S.. You open it up hoping for much needed supplies to survive your journey and it's a plastic bible with a solar panel on it.. What would you do?

This is just a kind jab, don't take offense..
If my house is ever on fire, please sit at home and pray don't come and help.
How are they converting people when they are already that religion???... And who said that because they send these audio bibles that everyone is going to stop rescuing, stop feeding people, etc, etc. How does this compare to religious fanatics praying instead of taking their child to a doctor.

Also, how do you know that these packages will unknowingly going to go to a random person hoping to open the package and find these bibles instead of food. I highly doubt that they are just going to send these out randomly, hand them out randomly. They will probably seek out leaders, priests, pastors etc. to give these too. Its not like they are handing out hundreds of thousands of these...we are talking a handful in the grand scheme of things.

You are taking this way, way too seriously and putting this in fringe where it doesn't belong. Also, just because I believe that this is no big deal and won't hurt anyone, doesn't mean that I sit at home and pray every time something goes wrong. That I ignore science or medical or whatever. Just because a few hundred audio bibles make there way to a disaster zone within a Catholic/Christian country doesn't make everyone a fanatic or make everyone just stand still and pray that the crushed building will heal itself. Seriously, it is a gesture of good will to people who WILL use them.

As far as someone saying that all this is is a play to promote their bible for sale. Well, they aren't making any money on all these bibles they are sending. Do you think the US government is helping because it helps politically? I would say yes, we didn't give a damn before, now we do and so do many other countries but it takes a disaster to get some help...where was it a year ago. Anyhow, relax, no one is going to go bible crazy, depending strictly on prayer to save them, it doesn't even compare.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551
Bibles taste good. Ironic given that what happened to Haiti is often termed 'an act of God'.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
As far as I can tell, Haiti is more than religious enough.  Religion would seem to be the only thing they have a surplus of other than suffering, disease, and death.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-01-20 17:21:58)

ruisleipa
+149|6218|teh FIN-land
to deathbcomesyu -  those bibles probably cost quite a lot to make. If they gave that money or its value i food and shelter they would save more people. Fact.

If they give them to priests and so on, what's the point? Don't you think they know enough about Christianity they need a solar-powered bible?

It's not a gesture of good will, or if it is it is seriously misguided. If I'm sitting next to my home which has been destroyed ('BY 'GOD' if I'm a fundamentalist Christian! Work that one out for me!) and I have no food, no water, no place to live, and someone gave me a fuckin bible, I'd shove it right up their arse. The bible won't save anyone's life. If helping people's not what you're interested in, GTFO. How the hell is reading a bible going to help anyone, when it's full of shit anyway.

And yes it is similar to religious fanatics praying their daughter will get better instead of sending her to a hospital. Same principle. We kno that you need food and stuff, but we're gonna send you some bibles and pray a bit instead. That'll help. Oh, and fuck you Haiti.

Goddamn religious idiots.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6175

ruisleipa wrote:

to deathbcomesyu -  those bibles probably cost quite a lot to make. If they gave that money or its value i food and shelter they would save more people. Fact.

If they give them to priests and so on, what's the point? Don't you think they know enough about Christianity they need a solar-powered bible?

It's not a gesture of good will, or if it is it is seriously misguided. If I'm sitting next to my home which has been destroyed ('BY 'GOD' if I'm a fundamentalist Christian! Work that one out for me!) and I have no food, no water, no place to live, and someone gave me a fuckin bible, I'd shove it right up their arse. The bible won't save anyone's life. If helping people's not what you're interested in, GTFO. How the hell is reading a bible going to help anyone, when it's full of shit anyway.

And yes it is similar to religious fanatics praying their daughter will get better instead of sending her to a hospital. Same principle. We kno that you need food and stuff, but we're gonna send you some bibles and pray a bit instead. That'll help. Oh, and fuck you Haiti.

Goddamn religious idiots.
The point is that there are probably many less churches, priests, pastors and cathedrals to even go to. There is a group who feels they can help a little and sends these off to give encouragement to those who are seeking it and I am sure there are people who will take these without question. If I owned a company that could do even a little bit, then I would probably do the same regardless of money or not. It won't hurt anyone, especially in a country that accepts the bible and its teachings.

You are looking at it from a point of view of not believing. You would be pissed if something was given to you that wasn't food or water but that is you. I am sure there are people who will accept these without question and who are you to judge those people who would want and listen to these bibles. Comparing these people to fanatics is laughable in my opinion. That is my opinion. I am sure there are people who are asking God "why?" some are asking why it happened, blame God or blame Satan, etc, etc. How do you know that most people there are saying it is an act of God? Have you been there? Have you talked to the victims? How do you know what they are asking for? How do you know they wouldn't appreciate these bibles.

I certainly don't know and if people accept these and use them, but who are we to say that is wrong? Just by your words like the bible "it's full of shit", "it won't help anyone"  "Goddamn religious idiots" it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are probably an atheist or something close to that but again, who are you to judge people who want to help in their own way and to judge people who will accept them. I personally could care less if they do or not, it is up to them. If they don't want the bibles, don't take them...in the short term there WILL be people who want them. Big wooptie fricken deal!

If you are really that torn up about it, get off the computer and go do something. Go to Haiti, bring food and water and chase the religious "nutters" down the street. I am sure you will get a response you wouldn't think you would get.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6175

Turquoise wrote:

As far as I can tell, Haiti is more than religious enough.  Religion would seem to be the only thing they have a surplus of other than suffering, disease, and death.
That is my point, in a way, Catholism, Christianity in most 3rd world countries are much more dependent on religion that other countries. They take it much more seriously than the "typical" Christian/ Catholic in America.  Their belief systems run much deeper through their societies, through there decision making, through their laws than in America or similar countries. But in the end, they will look to their religion more often than not, even in the worst of times. If it gets them through whatever they are dealing with, good for them. If these bibles help in that way and there will be people who will use them....then so what!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard