unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Finray wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Sorry went a little over budget...

Edit: Or did I, just noticed you said £... £250 = US$408
Fuck, still got $125 spare to buy a stupid operating system and GTA4.

But then so would an Xbox with a HD.

And I got a free game, a DVD burner and a much bigger HD.

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/10538/computer.JPG
No - £250. Not $408 - that's different entirely.

You're also missing a PSU.

And if you think that system will play GTA4 in 1080p as well as an xbox or PS3, well, then you're an idiot.
Playing GTA IV at a decent frame rate has nothing to do with consoles being better than PCs, it has everything to do with the game being a completely unoptimised copypaste POS for PC. Any game that is actually optimised for both platforms, a PC will be able to blow the XBox out the water.
Game optimization has nothing to do with the cost of a gaming rig compared to the cost of a console. Once you disregard personal bias, the price/value for the two in gaming is very lopsided in console favor, no matter that you can use mods and some genres play better on PC's.

CammRobb wrote:

yeah, but to achieve an average frame-rate of that on COD4 the graphics are pegged back a notch or two in the more gfx intensive maps. You don't need to do that with PC.
You do if your PC was the same price as a console.

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

The thing is...at least on the PS3, framerates are never as high as a good PC. And the resolution, therefore overall fidelity, is lower at the same time.

There is no comparison between console graphical quality and performance and PC. At least this far into the lifetime of the consoles.

edit:

People making bad choices in regard to PC hardware is not a good reason against it.
Underlined lynchpin. Again, depending on the game, a 'good PC' for it IS going to cost more than a console. We're all PC gamers here (at least I think), but you have to be honest with yourself. A gaming PC is a luxury item above and beyond consoles.

And for people who just want to play the game, there's a huge difference between spending 15 minutes cranking down one setting after another to get a perfect FPS and just playing the damn thing as-optimized.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-01-23 18:07:02)

CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6139|Carnoustie MASSIF

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

yeah, but to achieve an average frame-rate of that on COD4 the graphics are pegged back a notch or two in the more gfx intensive maps. You don't need to do that with PC.
Yeah but you can do much more on a pc of the same price though.
jaymz9350
+54|6586

CammRobb wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

The one thing I never see mentioned in these discussions is that it is very probable for a console gamer to have a PC for web, email, and such so the price isn't really $300 for a console vs the price of a gaming PC as the gaming PC is also the web, email and such PC.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6751|FUCK UBISOFT

jaymz9350 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The one thing I never see mentioned in these discussions is that it is very probable for a console gamer to have a PC for web, email, and such so the price isn't really $300 for a console vs the price of a gaming PC as the gaming PC is also the web, email and such PC.
$300 for a console or $300 for a graphics card.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6676

Miggle wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

You'd pay $300 for a graphics card that's weaker than an 8800GT?
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6751|FUCK UBISOFT

Ilocano wrote:

Miggle wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

huh?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6676

Miggle wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Miggle wrote:

huh?
You're are equating the console's graphic capabilities to a $300 PC graphics card, when in fact, the 360's graphic performance doesn't compare to a 8800GT, and the PS3 to a 7900GTX.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

CammRobb wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Not really.

jaymz9350 wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

This is true. However, there are people who use old, dirt cheap or free PC's for web and e-mail, but stick to consoles for gaming. In such cases, the cost to replace their hunk of junk with a new gaming PC is much more than that of a console.

Ilocano wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

huh?
You're are equating the console's graphic capabilities to a $300 PC graphics card, when in fact, the 360's graphic performance doesn't compare to a 8800GT, and the PS3 to a 7900GTX.
Point of fact. The reason consoles are able to get away with keeping older hardware is because they're not busy shouldering a top-heavy operating system and a barrel full of programs.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-01-25 18:43:52)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6751|FUCK UBISOFT

Ilocano wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

huh?
You misunderstood that. I'm saying that you could spend $300 to get a console, or $300 to upgrade your PC to a gaming machine. Obviously the gaming machine is better, so the choice should be easy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Miggle wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Miggle wrote:

huh?
You misunderstood that. I'm saying that you could spend $300 to get a console, or $300 to upgrade your PC to a gaming machine. Obviously the gaming machine is better, so the choice should be easy.
That's an assumption born of inexperience. If you have an old PC, putting in a new video card isn't necessarily going to improve your gaming. Upgraders often get nickle-and-dimed to death trying to sew up their old PC's bottlenecks. Granted, if your PC's only a generation old, new video will help it out a bit, but since you've already shelled out the dough for a gaming PC in the first place, its price vs that of consoles is somewhat moot.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-01-25 21:33:31)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6751|FUCK UBISOFT

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

That's an assumption born of inexperience. If you have an old PC, putting in a new video card isn't necessarily going to improve your gaming. Upgraders often get nickle-and-dimed to death trying to sew up their old PC's bottlenecks. Granted, if your PC's only a generation old, new video will help it out a bit, but since you've already shelled out the dough for a gaming PC in the first place, its price vs that of consoles is somewhat moot.
born of inexperience...

I personally upgraded my old computer to gaming status for around $200 a few years back. You hardly need a $1000 computer to play games maxed out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Miggle wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Miggle wrote:

born of inexperience...

I personally upgraded my old computer to gaming status for around $200 a few years back. You hardly need a $1000 computer to play games maxed out.
I'm talking about about situational over technical inexperience. I don't think you're a "tech-noob" at all. Given enough time and knowledge, an old computer can be successfully upgraded...but only to a certain extent. There are a ton of cases where people can get lead down a time and wallet-sucking path of part swaps to the point where they should have just bought a new computer.

"Well Joe, it looks like your video card is bottlenecking your computer, but you have to change out your motherboard, RAM and PSU before you can put a new one in."

So no, I don't blame gamers without the time, money or know-how for saying screw it and buying a console.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard