Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5502|London, England
ruislepa I'm really having a hard time understanding why you don't get the concept of relativism.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6811

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

So if they're raised humanely and killed humanely, it's OK to eat them?
Well imo it's surely not as bad. Like most moral questions this one also admits of varying degrees of rightness and wrongness wouldn't you say?

That's why I don't think say hunting a deer that has lived all its life in the wild is as bad as eating a factory famred cow. It's also not as bad for you healthwise, which is another good reason not to eat processed shitty meat like you get in burgers and crap.
Personally, I think it's morally more wrong to kill a wild deer.  You've just killed Bambi's mom and dad, leaving Bambi to fend for himself.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6612

Ilocano wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

So if they're raised humanely and killed humanely, it's OK to eat them?
Well imo it's surely not as bad. Like most moral questions this one also admits of varying degrees of rightness and wrongness wouldn't you say?

That's why I don't think say hunting a deer that has lived all its life in the wild is as bad as eating a factory famred cow. It's also not as bad for you healthwise, which is another good reason not to eat processed shitty meat like you get in burgers and crap.
Personally, I think it's morally more wrong to kill a wild deer.  You've just killed Bambi's mom and dad, leaving Bambi to fend for himself.
Yeah, the cow was breed to die in a cut off farm, where as the deer was part of a larger ecosystem, one that is disrupted by the deer's removal.

And think about this, cows are slow, dumb and fat. In the wild they would never survive, by domesticating them and breeding them for food, we ensure the survival of the species. Other species which are not farmed risk extinction, so by farming an animal we are preserving the species.

Animals have to individuality, they exist only to continue their species, and as such by farming them, we are helping them fulfill their purpose.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Yeah, the cow was breed to die in a cut off farm, where as the deer was part of a larger ecosystem, one that is disrupted by the deer's removal.

And think about this, cows are slow, dumb and fat. In the wild they would never survive, by domesticating them and breeding them for food, we ensure the survival of the species. Other species which are not farmed risk extinction, so by farming an animal we are preserving the species.

Animals have to individuality, they exist only to continue their species, and as such by farming them, we are helping them fulfill their purpose.
Wow, you forgot to add 'It is God's will' to the end of that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6555|'Murka

ruisleipa wrote:

OK well let me take that to its logical conclusion. A mentally retarded human individual who has no concept of self and so on by your argument wouldn't be having anything done wrong to them if they were held in a cage etc etc. Yeah? In fact to take them OUT of a cage would be doing them wrong because they'd be 'confused'?

btw just so I can discuss this knowing why I'm doing so - are you guys arguing that vegetarianism is somehow unethical or that there is no ethical basis for it or what? cos I'm pretty confused by your weird arguments at the mo I admit.
Take it easy, Francis.

I'm not even remotely making that argument (particularly since my son is mentally and physically handicapped).

There are just clear logical faults in your argument. Those have been pointed out, as evidenced by your confusion when people use your logic.

We can move on now, I suppose.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ruisleipa
+149|6366|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

OK well let me take that to its logical conclusion. A mentally retarded human individual who has no concept of self and so on by your argument wouldn't be having anything done wrong to them if they were held in a cage etc etc. Yeah? In fact to take them OUT of a cage would be doing them wrong because they'd be 'confused'?

btw just so I can discuss this knowing why I'm doing so - are you guys arguing that vegetarianism is somehow unethical or that there is no ethical basis for it or what? cos I'm pretty confused by your weird arguments at the mo I admit.
Take it easy, Francis.

I'm not even remotely making that argument (particularly since my son is mentally and physically handicapped).

There are just clear logical faults in your argument. Those have been pointed out, as evidenced by your confusion when people use your logic.

well this is going nowhere fast so yeah, let's just agree to disagree. I'm still confused at what most of what's been said has to do with me choosing to be vege, or why anyone would bother arguing against it
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Take it easy, Francis.

well this is going nowhere fast so yeah, let's just agree to disagree. I'm still confused at what most of what's been said has to do with me choosing to be vege, or why anyone would bother arguing against it
www.peta.org
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6366|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

www.peta.org
ok. so?

ruisleipa wrote:

[
well this is going nowhere fast so yeah, let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-01-08 11:07:46)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6726|SE London

Terrorists?

They're vandals, idiots and annoying cunts simply out to cause trouble. I've seen plenty of these militant protesters causing trouble about all sorts of issues. Not many of them believe that much in the cause they just want to act like cunts in a big group all in the name of their right to protest.

I don't like them - but calling them terrorists is just stupid. I prefer to just call them cunts.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6924|Great Brown North

the deer was part of a larger ecosystem, one that is disrupted by the deer's removal.
wrong
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6274|North Tonawanda, NY

krazed wrote:

the deer was part of a larger ecosystem, one that is disrupted by the deer's removal.
wrong
Deer overpopulation is a real problem in areas of Western NY (and the northeastern US in general).  Hunting the deer is actually *better* then dealing with them drowning in swimming pools, getting slaughtered by traffic, etc...  Where I grew up, deer have even jumped through windows into buildings.  Amherst, NY has a lot of those problems.

More to the point, the ecosystem is overloaded with deer due to humans pushing the predators out with urban/suburban development.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
exactly
13rin
+977|6623

Ilocano wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

If you don't manage deer populations you will end up hitting them with your cars.  And deer meat is tasty.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

krazed wrote:

wrong
Deer overpopulation is a real problem in areas of Western NY (and the northeastern US in general).  Hunting the deer is actually *better* then dealing with them drowning in swimming pools, getting slaughtered by traffic, etc...  Where I grew up, deer have even jumped through windows into buildings.  Amherst, NY has a lot of those problems.

More to the point, the ecosystem is overloaded with deer due to humans pushing the predators out with urban/suburban development.
Coupled with the fact that there is far more food for them when humans are around and it's led to their population being much much higher than it would be if we weren't around. They have our trash and crops to feast on.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6811

Yeah, but who's fault is it.  Lack of sufficient predators, reduction of habitat, and encroachment of humans.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
it's our fault tbh
13rin
+977|6623

Ilocano wrote:

Yeah, but who's fault is it.  Lack of sufficient predators, reduction of habitat, and encroachment of humans.
No.  The human is now the predator.

*edit: and the bambi's mom is crap.  Most hunts only allow taking of Bucks.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-01-08 13:23:19)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
it depends on where you are

there's a random draw for a doe tag here
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6860

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

krazed wrote:

wrong

Coupled with the fact that there is far more food for them when humans are around and it's led to their population being much much higher than it would be if we weren't around. They have our trash and crops to feast on.
In Aus koala's are overpopulating and starving themselves to death later on... Not that many eucalyptus trees around...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ghandi767
+17|6766|Hanging in the Balance
Whale Wars is only watchable due to the hilarious ineptitude of the ecocunts.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

In Aus koala's are overpopulating and starving themselves to death later on... Not that many eucalyptus trees around...
why don't they do a cull?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6860

krazed wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

why don't they do a cull?
They actually do sometimes. But retarded environmentalists always scream how cute they are and how they are an endangered species.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
lol, endangered but overpopulated

the enviros here are retarded too
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6549|North Carolina
The Sea Shepherds are technically doing illegal things, but then again, what the Japanese are doing may soon make whales extinct.  The Japanese also are doing this sort of thing to dolphins.

While it is true that our own agricultural industry does pretty nasty things to chickens and cows, neither are endangered species.  They're being farmed, not killed off.

Still, money talks, so no one gives a shit as long as Japan has the cash to keep us interested in looking the other way.

In the meantime, the Sea Shepherds do their thing, and I'm cool with that.  Give 'em hell.
BVC
+325|6840
Both sea sheppard and the whaling fleet are idiots for ramming each other.

What the whalers need to do is start respecting other nations sovereign territory.  Specifically, antarctic territorial claims.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard