Benzin
+576|6130
The Hollywood-style rescue of six militant conservationists stranded after Tuesday night's collision between an anti-whaling boat and a Japanese whaler in the Southern Ocean spotlighted significant financial contributions to the activists from two of the entertainment industry's top animal-cause philanthropists.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's sleek, speedy and stealthy carbon-fiber trimaran, the Ady Gil, was purchased with a $1-million donation from Gil, co-owner of American Hi Definition Inc., one of Hollywood's leading providers of video production trucks, custom control rooms and camera systems to entertainment and corporate clients, including Jay Leno.

The vessel's six crew members were rescued from the stricken craft by the crew of the Bob Barker, a former Norwegian whaler recently purchased and refitted with a $5-million donation from Bob Barker, who hosted the TV game show "The Price Is Right" for 35 years.

"Sea Shepherd is extremely fortunate to have the support of Bob Barker and Ady Gil," said Amy Baird, spokeswoman for the group. "Their generous contributions will help Sea Shepherd to end illegal whaling operations in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary."

Gil, of Woodland Hills, was shocked when he heard, by phone, about the violent collision that sheared off the vessel's bow and left at least one crew member with minor injuries.

"This is so sad," Gil said in an interview. "My little boat was out there trying to save the whales. Now it has a broken nose and is badly damaged. It was one of a kind. Can it be repaired, or rebuilt? We'll have to see."

The collision off the Antarctic coast was only the latest run-in between the militant conservationists and whalers from Japan, which insists it has the right to hunt the cetaceans for what it calls scientific purposes. The group's campaign to interfere in the hunt is featured in Animal Planet’s "Whale Wars" reality show, which had a production crew of 16 aboard Sea Shepherd vessels, including a cameraman on the Ady Gil.

Marjorie Kaplan, president and general manager of Animal Planet Media Enterprises, said in a news release that the show was "excited to be on Sea Shepherd boats again this season" and that the group's efforts have "made 'Whale Wars' intense and vital television."

Barker, who lives in Hollywood, said he was "delighted" at the role of his namesake ship.

"By virtue of the Bob Barker being there, six lives were saved," he said in a telephone interview. "The whole purpose is to sink the Japanese whaling fleet economically by making it impossible for them to harvest enough whales to continue to exist."

Barker's contribution to the anti-whaling cause followed a conversation he had six months ago with Sea Shepherd's founder, Paul Watson.

"I was impressed with Paul in every way," Barker recalled. "At one point, he said, 'If I had $5 million, I could put the Japanese whalers out of business.' I said, 'I have $5 million. Let's get it on.' "

The Ady Gil, designed to run for long periods on biodiesel fuel, set a world record for global circumnavigation before Gil bought it in October and donated it to Sea Shepherd.

"We can't allow a piece of seagoing history like this to go down," Gil said. "Maybe we'll build my boat a little sister and call it Ady Gil II."
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me … 0554.story

There are plenty of videos to watch about this story, so you can search for it if you want to see the boat get trashed by the Japanese ship.

Anyway, on to the topic: What do you guys think? Are the guys trying to protect the whales terrorists (the old saying, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter) or are the Japanese whalers (and potentially also the Japanese government for allowing it to continue?) the evil-doers (I honestly can't think of a better word)? Why do you feel that way?
ruisleipa
+149|6354|teh FIN-land
Well they're not terrorists - a word which has become so overused as to be almost meaningless.

If anything I'm against the Japanese whalers, since whaling is a cruel and inhumane activity.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6285|what

I'm against the whalers, for the simple reason they aren't farming whales, just slaughtering them. That means there is zero conservation.

The Sea Shepherd crew are notorious as mercenary hippies though, and I doubt their conduct is to be commended. They get headlines which is a result though.

Japan has violated a number of anti-fishing treaties and are in the wrong.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

AussieReaper wrote:

mercenary hippies
Oxymoron lel.

Btw I think they just watched the episode of south park about them. Nothing really happens on their show.

They're not fucking terrorists. They're just people with too much time on their hands.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6285|what

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

mercenary hippies
Oxymoron lel.
The ordinary hippy would tie themselves to a tree or lay down in front of a bulldozer with their passive aggressive rainbow loving nature.

These guys intentionally ram whaling vessels and throw shit onto the decks.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

AussieReaper wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

mercenary hippies
Oxymoron lel.
The ordinary hippy would tie themselves to a tree or lay down in front of a bulldozer with their passive aggressive rainbow loving nature.

I think since the Aus navy has nothing to do in the Pacific... Might as well use Whaling boats as training missions for boarding boats and shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6354|teh FIN-land

AussieReaper wrote:

yeah but try lying down in front of a whaling ship and see how far that gets you - a mile under the sea probably. good luck to 'em frankly!
Wreckognize
+294|6617
I'm not a fan of whaling but I certainly have no love for militant conservationists.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6498|California
Mind as well stop slaughtering chickens and cows
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6285|what

ruisleipa wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

yeah but try lying down in front of a whaling ship and see how far that gets you - a mile under the sea probably. good luck to 'em frankly!
Same thing would happen if they tied themselves to a whale.

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Mind as well stop slaughtering chickens and cows
No, you farm chickens and cows. You even farm species of fish. Whales on the other hand...
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6498|California
i'm just kidding, they can stop farming whales for all I care, but I do care about sharks, shark fin soup is delicious!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6797|NT, like Mick Dundee

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Oxymoron lel.

I think since the Aus navy has nothing to do in the Pacific... Might as well use Whaling boats as training missions for boarding boats and shit.
We are pussyfooting around the issue because we have major economic ties with the Japanese. Some sort of case is being built against them but don't expect major economic sanctions or military interference from us any time soon.

Personally I think the Japanese should piss off.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

Flecco wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

We are pussyfooting around the issue because we have major economic ties with the Japanese. Some sort of case is being built against them but don't expect major economic sanctions or military interference from us any time soon.

Personally I think the Japanese should piss off.
Money talks. It would be easier if it was the US that is pressuring them. I think it would be better if the Japanese gov installs a cultural stigma against buying whale meat.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6238|eXtreme to the maX
They aren't terrorists, but they have crossed the line in terms of what is acceptable protest.
Parking a little speedboat in front of a huge ship -> You're going to get smooshed.

Really we should send F111s to fly supersonic over the whalers heads until they piss off.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6783|USA
Watched the show a few times, they're nothing more than a sea-going protest ship and nothing in line with terrorism, They really haven't done a thing, except raise awareness which is what a protest is supposed to do.

Last edited by lowing (2010-01-07 05:25:59)

RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6537|NSW, Australia

lowing wrote:

Watched the show a few times, they nothing more than a sea-going protest ship and nothing in line with terrorism, They really haven't done a thing, except raise awareness which is what a protest is supposed to do.
i agree...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6783|USA

RavyGravy wrote:

lowing wrote:

Watched the show a few times, they nothing more than a sea-going protest ship and nothing in line with terrorism, They really haven't done a thing, except raise awareness which is what a protest is supposed to do.
i agree...
sorry 'bout that
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6753|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

They aren't terrorists, but they have crossed the line in terms of what is acceptable protest.
Parking a little speedboat in front of a huge ship -> You're going to get smooshed.

Really we should send F111s to fly supersonic over the whalers heads until they piss off.
What right do you have to do that? You'll just sour relations with the Japanese very quickly. At the end of the day it's all typical Western double standards/hypocrisy.

Besides I heard those anti-whalers were trying to tie up that big ship's propellers and shit with rope, and just leave them stranded in the sea. That's basically piracy/terrorism.

I don't even know why Australians particularly think it's their god given right to do something about the Japanese whalers.
13rin
+977|6611

Wreckognize wrote:

I'm not a fan of whaling but I certainly have no love for militant conservationists.
Agreed. I do watch the show (DVRed) because it is a spectauclar moronothon and I am waiting to watch one of those militant "conservationists" get killed.  Every time one smacks thier head on a metal hand rail due to a wave or they get lost in the fog and have no idea where their ship is... Ah pure comedic gold.  I was hoping that Capt Paul would have capsized the STEVE IRWIN when he rammed one of the whalers.  One of the dumb bitches on the ship "I'm scared Paul".... She should have been, guys insane.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6543|'Murka

Are the Japanese whalers violating any laws?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6807|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Technically, no, but in reality, yes they violate the conventions/treaties to which they signed. I don't think anyone is fooled by this 'scientific' whaling moniker.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5490|London, England
Terrorists. They're a menace on the high seas and the captain should've had his license revoked and been imprisoned years ago. Whether you disagree with the whaling is irrelevant. He is putting human lives in danger. Not only his own crew, but the crews on those whaling ships. You do NOT fuck around with this shit, especially not in the frigid waters of the Antarctic where you will be able to survive a maximum of five minutes in the water.

I hope the dude gets boarded by Chinese pirates one day. Make him kneel and place a bullet in the back of his skull.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6238|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

They do pass through Australia's humongous self-declared territorial waters, of Indonesians come fishing for shark fin they get arrested and often their boats torched, the Japanese get a free pass.

They are also violating whichever convention they signed banning hunting but allowing catches for research, since they claim to be conducting research when its blatantly obvious they are simply hunting.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-01-07 06:18:37)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6848

JohnG@lt wrote:

Terrorists. They're a menace on the high seas and the captain should've had his license revoked and been imprisoned years ago. Whether you disagree with the whaling is irrelevant. He is putting human lives in danger. Not only his own crew, but the crews on those whaling ships. You do NOT fuck around with this shit, especially not in the frigid waters of the Antarctic where you will be able to survive a maximum of five minutes in the water.

I hope the dude gets boarded by Chinese pirates one day. Make him kneel and place a bullet in the back of his skull.
I'd say fucktards more than anything else.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6729|Seattle

I peed on the side of their boat once when it was parked in Friday Harbor.

Cool story, right? Well that's all I have at this time.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard