ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

First of all, this isn't for me, it's for a friend. He isn't entirely sure if he wants a Macbook or a Windows machine yet, so he asked me what he should look at. He wants a really high quality laptop, comparable to a Macbook in build. Obviously he wants a high spec'd machine as well, but appearance and build quality is important to him. What should he be looking at in that sort of budget?

Unlike most of you, he has taste so I don't want to hear any mention of Lenovo.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6127|Carnoustie MASSIF

ghettoperson wrote:

appearance
Macbook then?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6546|UK

CammRobb wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

appearance
Macbook then?
Tbh, though I am pretty sure the macbook pros are due an update this month or febuary.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

So basically no one makes decent laptops except for Apple?
CammRobb
Banned

Bell wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

appearance
Macbook then?
Tbh, though I am pretty sure the macbook pros are due an update this month or febuary.

ghettoperson wrote:

So basically no one makes decent laptops except for Apple?
My Compaq presario is a nice looking laptop, it's a little under specced but if you have a bigger budget then you can get a more powerful one, have a look into it. For the record, mine is a Compaq Presario CQ60. Look at my sig for specs. I know the CQ61 runs a Dual core, so look at higher end CQ's
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Bell wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

appearance
Macbook then?
I wouldn't be too sure about that. The last update was October 09 - that's quite recent.

17" MB Pro with the anti-glare screen and 7200rpm hard drive upgrades. That's what I'd get on that budget. (actually I'd probably get a Lenevo that looks like a brick - but if you're discounting that possibility)
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Dell Adamo's look great, but they'd need an external CD drive, and the processor on the faster one is a touch slow at 2.1Ghz. That said, they come with a decent sized SSD.
CammRobb
Banned
I would do more searching myself, but if I get busted on this at work I'll get in shit

I'll have a good look when I get home though man.
jay_courage
Alive in a sea of mediocre
+131|5956|Carnoustie
Rock laptops, made by acer (like alienware and dell) but for the cash you can get a really high spec. Try a webstore called www.laptopsdirect.co.uk, they are quite often cheaper than most places
I Friggin Love The Nhs
CammRobb
Banned

jay_courage wrote:

Rock laptops, made by acer (like alienware and dell) but for the cash you can get a really high spec. Try a webstore called www.laptopsdirect.co.uk, they are quite often cheaper than most places
Totally forgot about Rock, they make some damn good stuff, not the best looking, but high spec. Alienware are garish as hell though so I wouldn't touch them if he's wanting aesthetics.
jay_courage
+131|5956|Carnoustie
To be honest I wouldn't touch an alienware with your dick, rubbish for returns and repairs apparently
I Friggin Love The Nhs
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Bertster7 wrote:

Bell wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

Macbook then?
I wouldn't be too sure about that. The last update was October 09 - that's quite recent.

17" MB Pro with the anti-glare screen and 7200rpm hard drive upgrades. That's what I'd get on that budget. (actually I'd probably get a Lenevo that looks like a brick - but if you're discounting that possibility)
Oh yeah, he wants a 15" screen.
CammRobb
Banned

ghettoperson wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Bell wrote:

Oh yeah, he wants a 15" screen.
Tell him to get a 15.6", I've got one and it's great. HD, 1366x768
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5594|Vacationland
Dell XPS, you can get it with an i7 and an 15.6 HD Display

Last edited by Narupug (2010-01-04 13:11:48)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6546|UK

Bell wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Bell wrote:

I think that was just the macbook though (well and the imac ofcourse), the macbook pro's havent really changed much since the summer.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Click part 3, about two thirds down the page, not an exact science to there launch patters, just look at that cinema display, its said dont buy for years

fail edit

Last edited by Bell (2010-01-04 14:12:09)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
weak pound, weak laptop
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
mikkel
+383|6598

jay_courage wrote:

To be honest I wouldn't touch an alienware with your dick, rubbish for returns and repairs apparently
What would you touch with his dick?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black

mikkel wrote:

jay_courage wrote:

A high RPM, very sharp spinning blade.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
jay_courage
+131|5956|Carnoustie

Finray wrote:

mikkel wrote:

jay_courage wrote:

A high RPM, very sharp spinning blade.
or a large stone grinding wheel
I Friggin Love The Nhs
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

What's he going to use the laptop for? Intel just released a bunch of new chips (more performance, less power \o/), but it will take a couple weeks until the lappy makers actually use them in their lineup.

Either way, T and W series Lenovo laptops are miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to quality.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
hexify
+5|5347|Canada
Dell's Adamo, or Voodoo PC's Envy 133.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/eb8872cebb08c046204abcc26a2b5cc159f8e98c.png
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

If he wants build quality, Lenovo is the only way to go. Worlds ahead of Apple, Dell and the like.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
how are lenovo 'worlds ahead' of apple for build quality? sorry but what are you talking about...

£2k with a need for nice-appearance screams MBP, really. when you're spending £2k on a laptop you're never getting maximum-economy for your money, anyway, it's always gonna have a bloated price. may as well just take the sucker-punch and get a sexy slice of apple.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

Uzique wrote:

how are lenovo 'worlds ahead' of apple for build quality? sorry but what are you talking about...

£2k with a need for nice-appearance screams MBP, really. when you're spending £2k on a laptop you're never getting maximum-economy for your money, anyway, it's always gonna have a bloated price. may as well just take the sucker-punch and get a sexy slice of apple.
Macbooks are made by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd.

Lenovos are made in IBM's factories.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
macbooks have excellent build-quality. especially on any overall-scale of laptop-shoddiness.

dont care where it's made. i have lots of hardware that was made in the far east that is excellent quality and very durable. moot point... maybe made sense 10 years ago.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard