ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Heh, no the Zune HD.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Zimmer wrote:

Folder monitoring is a breeze and it updates almost instantly when you add new music.
I actually remove the standard monitored folders and make a separate directory just for my zune.

C: Zune/music
    Zune/pictures
    Zune/video

I have my Zune folder set to backup every week and I find it a bit easier to track everything on my player. I also export my photos right from lightroom to my zune picture folder when I want to take them with me.

Just a personal preference.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

Kmarion wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Folder monitoring is a breeze and it updates almost instantly when you add new music.
I actually remove the standard monitored folders and make a separate directory just for my zune.

C: Zune/music
    Zune/pictures
    Zune/video

I have my Zune folder set to backup every week and I find it a bit easier to track everything on my player. I also export my photos right from lightroom to my zune picture folder when I want to take them with me.

Just a personal preference.
I only monitor one folder, and that's the one with all my music on it. Situated D:\Music

I've only downloaded one album so far with Zune, I'm considering trying out the Zune Pass, to see what it's like (there are ways around the US credit card thing, I believe).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

I have one. It's worth it in my opinion. Remember you get 10 free songs a month too.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6731|Ireland | Monaghan

Wish the ratings could be like 1 to 5 hearts or something. Any way to change that to as so?
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

I never understood the appeal of music players that need some program to sync music. It's so much easier to just copy your music folder over to the player. Navigate the folders from the player, then you don't even need correct id3 tags.

Last edited by max (2010-01-04 17:21:53)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

max wrote:

I never understood the appeal of music players that need some program to sync music. It's so much easier to just copy your music folder over to the player. Navigate the folders from the player, then you don't even need correct id3 tags.
Whilst that does sound "fine", you couldn't search for Albums, Songs, Genres... Only via artist, or however you uploaded them to your media player. Pretty pointless if you ask me.

I never liked syncing music before, with my YP-P3, I just dragged and dropped and voila. Thing is, with Zune, syncing it gives you the artists Bio, images and shit, and it's totally worth it. It takes a fraction longer, but it's definitely something that makes me love it even more.

As for the Zune Pass Kmar, yeah... I mean, the quality of the music is actually GOOD, unlike other passes and shit... Thing is, I'm still not 100% certain it can work here... And wasting that kind of money is not in my interest.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

fair enough.

I never navigate by Albums, Songs, Genres even though, now that I've correctly tagged all music, I could. Navigating to a song is a bit of a pain when you have ~25k songs on your PMP Personal preference I guess.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
on my (full) 160gb ipod i just find myself using the alphabet-artist feature or the search function most regularly. get straight to what i want querying every tag.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

on my (full) 160gb ipod i just find myself using the alphabet-artist feature or the search function most regularly. get straight to what i want querying every tag.
Yeah, that's what I love about the Zune, you simply get a box with A in it at the beginning of your Artists/Albums/Genres and all you do is click it and you browse by letter.

Creating playlists is lovely as well, just hold on top of any artist/genre/album/song and then click "Add to Now Playing" then you just save the Now Playing playlist. Basic features, it's how they work which makes it nice.

I don't find myself browsing much, I'm in the mood for all the music on my Zune, so I usually pick a playlist or just click the big Play button at the start and start shuffling them. Rarely do I play one artist at a time.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
playlists are something i really need to get into the practice of using/creating more often. the aforementioned last.fm app on my iphone really started encouraging me to create playlists by genre/occasion for my last.fm. good fun and actually quite useful. sounds good that the zune has it so nicely integrated and user-friendly. something i have never found a use for on my ipod, but that's because of a user-related habit. when i listen to music on my ipod i normally want to listen to a specific artist and album. never use playlists/genre/shuffle features.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

playlists are something i really need to get into the practice of using/creating more often. the aforementioned last.fm app on my iphone really started encouraging me to create playlists by genre/occasion for my last.fm. good fun and actually quite useful. sounds good that the zune has it so nicely integrated and user-friendly. something i have never found a use for on my ipod, but that's because of a user-related habit. when i listen to music on my ipod i normally want to listen to a specific artist and album. never use playlists/genre/shuffle features.
Yeah, in the end, it's total preference.

I used to always do Artist/Album, but now I do prefer being surprised when I'm walking around or working. It's a good feeling when "Dayvan Cowboy" pops up after "Impossible Germany".

Zune Pass allows for a "SmartDJ" that automatically shuffles your songs depending on the sort of genre, and gets recommendations from the internet and plays them as well. It's really nice going into "Related" on the Zune and finding out new Artists. I know you can do that with the last.fm app (but of course, suggestions are always different - I find last.fm is pretty innaccurate at times at suggesting stuff I'd like), but your 160GB of music isn't on the iPhone in the first place.

Playlists are great for "on-the-go" style music. I have Relaxed, Workout, Upbeat, Depressed etc etc. It's really nice switching between them with a touch of the screen.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
smartdj = itunes genius

and yeah, the playlists i find myself using for 'on-the-go' or 'special occasion' scenarios, only.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6677

Anyone figured out how to get an mp3 out of Zune that isn't already in your PC's synced folder?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6742|St. Andrews / Oslo

@Playlists: Ditto, I wish I had the patience to really sit down and put together a good playlist. I'm either terribly talentless, too picky or just not patient enough, I never manage to make one that has any flow to it, and always end up skipping half the songs. Oh well.

edit- actually, there should be a "share your playlists" thread on here.

Last edited by Jenspm (2010-01-05 12:03:51)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
signa
~~~~~
+50|6739|Michigan, USA

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I really like the look of that actually.
Of the invisible shield?

I got 35% off mine, special 1 day offer.
Once your on their email list they frequently send out 50% off coupons.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

signa wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I really like the look of that actually.
Of the invisible shield?

I got 35% off mine, special 1 day offer.
Once your on their email list they frequently send out 50% off coupons.
Yeah, too bad they haven't even shipped it yet.
Defiance
+438|6681

Zimmer wrote:

max wrote:

Whilst that does sound "fine", you couldn't search for Albums, Songs, Genres... Only via artist, or however you uploaded them to your media player. Pretty pointless if you ask me.

I never liked syncing music before, with my YP-P3, I just dragged and dropped and voila. Thing is, with Zune, syncing it gives you the artists Bio, images and shit, and it's totally worth it. It takes a fraction longer, but it's definitely something that makes me love it even more.
This is neglecting the possibility of using an external program like Winamp or my current, foobar2k, to 'sync' music. The bio/album art additions are nifty, but other music management programs have such features. The same things are capable on a dedicated program vs something like f2k, but there is no restriction on the former like there is with Zunes, iPods, and others.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

I know, it's not the *best* method to do it, but Defiance, I would complain IF the Zune software wasn't so easy to use.
Getting album art and info from the Zune is ridiculously easy and is the same as in any other program. The fact that the Zune software is neither intrusive or a pain to use makes it a lot easier to accept that you can only sync with that.

All you need to do is plug in your Zune, and it will sync automatically. Watch the folders where your music is and you're done. I run Media Monkey for my main media player, and the Zune media player doesn't use much RAM, so it running in the background doesn't bother me.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

CNET CES wrote:

Come Spring, the Zune HD should receive a firmware update providing support for MPEG-4 part 2 Advanced Simple Profile videos, including the torrent junkie's format of choice, XviD. When pressed on whether DivX support would also be added, our contact explained it was unlikely, because of proprietary restrictions. Also unclear is what range of resolutions will be supported, although we did confirm that the new format support will maintain compatibility with the HD AV dock accessory.

The firmware update will also bring over a Smart DJ feature, which currently is found only in the Zune's client software. The addition of Smart DJ playlists brings the Zune HD in line with the on-the-fly Genius playlist capabilities of the iPod Touch. Better yet, Zune Pass users within Wi-Fi range will have the ability to create Smart DJ playlists that incorporate streaming content from Zune Marketplace, in addition to songs already stored on the device.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes!

I can't wait for this firmware update; supposedly it's going to add a hell of a more features.

On that note, MSes Keynote 2010 sucked hard.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6641|Finland

What is very important for me, and often overlooked with ultramegamediaplayer-reviews, is battery life. I'd rather have a simple player that does 30+h music or 6-7h vid on one charge than something that has already drained the battery while you're still waiting at gate 32 to board the plane.

So how's this one with regards to that?
I need around tree fiddy.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6766|Scotland

DonFck wrote:

What is very important for me, and often overlooked with ultramegamediaplayer-reviews, is battery life. I'd rather have a simple player that does 30+h music or 6-7h vid on one charge than something that has already drained the battery while you're still waiting at gate 32 to board the plane.

As it's an AMOLED screen, every black pixel on the screen is actually turned off, therefore giving it a massive advantage of battery life over competitors.

The claimed battery life is 33 hours, but I think it can last even more than that if placed on hold and no screen is showing.

To give you an idea of how good the battery is, I had about 1/5th of the battery remaining and I wanted to drain it entirely so I could full charge it up again. I had to play a video for 2 hours in LOOP (the video was 5 minutes long, didn't put a movie in) and have WI-FI turned on to drain it entirely. Keeping in mind that Wi-Fi rapes battery life.

One of the longest lasting devices I've put my hands on.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5607|Vacationland

DonFck wrote:

From the times I've used it it will definitly last a good while.  I had it on for 2 hours when I first got it and the battery bar barely moved.  When I was flying back from DC with it I also had no problems.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6749|Toronto | Canada

Zimmer wrote:

CNET CES wrote:

the torrent junkie's format of choice, XviD
the fuck?  xvid is shit

Also, I think I'm going to get one of these to replace my 16GB ipod Touch soon.  Its just too small and the Zune seems to have more useful features

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-01-08 06:51:07)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6637|UK
I wonder why they didn't integrate it to WMP, rather than using this Zune player or w/e it's called. Seems kinda illogical to me ...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard