Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

So at 0900 hours I got the Zune HD.

Just to get a few things out of the way - I live in the UK, I still managed to buy it. £216 in total for a 32GB.

Ok.... First impressions.. (I'll add pics tomorrow)

Absolutely beautiful player
https://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/zune-hd.jpg

Holding it in your hand... It feels sturdy, yet incredibly light. Brushed metal on the back and a beautiful screen at the front.
3 buttons in total
- Media button - This is incredibly useful, basically a quick tap of this whilst playing a song, it pops up with volume controls and skip/go back controls, even when locked. Note that the button needs to be pressed in, so it bumping around somewhere will not press it
- Power/Hold button - Hold to turn off (you have to slide down the screen to complete shut down) and tap to Hold.
- Home button - At the bottom of the screen, to get you quickly to the home screen.

First thing is first - To get the marketplace and apps and stuff on my Zune, I changed my REGION settings to United States... And that's it. That's all I need to do. Gives you access to everything the Americans have.

Now, small overview on the Zune software -

- It's actually quite unique. There's no design I've ever seen like this. It's "snazzy" and pretty neat. It doesn't have a lot of customizable features, but I doubt you'll be using it as your primary media player. If you do use it as that, it's actually pretty good. It's not some cheap shit like Sonys software or Samsungs Emodio. You can tell MS spent a lot of time getting this just right.
- It's fast and easily accessible. Folder monitoring is a breeze and it updates almost instantly when you add new music.
- It uses a bit more than MM or Foobar does in terms of RAM, but it's still not too bad.
- Syncing isn't fast nor slow. It's average.
  - Syncing through Zune is actually probably a better idea than just dragging and dropping - It actually updates Artists bios and artist images and plays them in the background when listening to music on your Zune. It's also really effective at finding album info and renaming songs that may be wrong. It's probably also safer to use this if you want to make sure the Album art goes onto the Zune.

Right, a few images of how it works

Music View - This isn't the main view, don't need to show you that, it's not very relevant
https://arktive.com/Untitled.png

Marketplace - This is really cool. Tells you what songs you would like according to what you're listening to or what you have in your library. Also works directly off the Zune and you can download the songs on the Zune right there and then (if connected to wifi)
https://arktive.com/zune.png

Apps - There aren't many there yet, but the ones that ARE there are pretty fucking awesome. Audiosurf and Hold 'Em are very well done. I'll go into more detail later
https://arktive.com/zune1.png

Ok, so onto the player.... Needed to upgrade to the latest version of the software... Was pretty quick and painless.

First impression of the screen? (I will add pics later, I'm updating it and charging)

Absolutely beautiful. Whites are so crisp, and the darks... Well, it's an OLED screen, what else can I say? The blacks are just the screen turned off, so they look absolutely stunning.

First slight problem? It's a fingerprint lover. It smudges, and it looks nasty... But I bought and Invisible Shield so I will be fine when I get it.

At first, the feel of the screen is a bit.... Sticky? Non-slidey, if you wish... But after a few minutes, it's perfect.

Ok, some images of the screen

This is the home screen - It's not very "full" but I personally think it's perfect. It has everything I need there and see the big PLAY button beside music? Just hit that and it goes into automatic shufle of all the songs. Pretty cool.
https://arktive.com/1.JPG

This is a really really cool feature - Basically, if you swipe to the left on the home screen, you get this... It shows you what is currently playing, your Quick Pin albums (this is pretty neat. You want an awesome album quickly accessible, just add it here), Your History of music/apps/etc and then the Recently Added. Really useful
https://arktive.com/2.JPG

This is the album view. One of the many views you can take at looking at your music. Looks lovely when you've filled it up like I have. Then you click on an album or you can zoom in to look closer at what you have
https://arktive.com/3.JPG
This image also shows "letters" this is even more awesome, for a quick browse, just click that letter and it will take you to a layout with the alphabet, then it will zoom into whatever letter you choose. Pretty nifty if you have lots of albums or artists.

Wanna know how the touchscreen fares up with the iPod? It's just as flowing, if not more, than the Touch. There is no lag, no jumps, nothing. It's totally smooth. The nVidia Tegra chip does an astounding job.

The accelerometer? It's so much more responsive than the Touch. I downloaded Audiosurf (yes, AUDIOFUCKINGSURF for free, and it looks absolutely amazing, btw. The 3D chip is just amazing) and a small tilt moves the car/whateveritis and it's so responsive.

I want to go into detail with everything, but I want to see what people comment about what I have already written.

What do you want to know about it?

As a summary - All EU users that have heard about it/looked at it, you have no reason NOT to get it. It's cheaper than the Touch and works perfectly in the EU. Apps, Marketplace, the lot.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black
Pics of graphics on Audiosurf?

And how is the sound quality? Better than an iTouch?

Good review.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Since its an audio player I'd like to know how it sounds; how does it sonically compare to other portable players. Is digital output possible, through charging port possible? Where did you order one, how much was the VAT and how long did you have to wait to get it?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
good review

doesnt have a lot that the itouch/iphone doesnt though... features and capacity wise.

and i'll still take my ipod classic for no other factor than capacity

as said before the argument for 'superior audio fidelity' is a moot point to me. i can be using £300 earphones and a pre-amp and i get little to no discernible difference between identical source files
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Sound quality is NEARLY as good as the Samsung YP-P3 (which is the best sounding media player, along with the Sony Walkman touch thingy).

In comparison with the Touch - I held both today as my friend had one when we were having lunc, and with my 700s, there was less clarity with the Touch. The music sounded deeper and clearer on the Zune, with nicer highs and good lows. In a sentence? Sound quality is lovely. Better than Touch, most definitely. But the Touch is known for being a below average player for sound quality.

@ Finny - Will get pics up later tonight.

@ Sup - Digital output is possible through the dock (not supplied). Unsure about through charging port.

It cost me £216 in TOTAL. That is including VAT and shipping.

I ordered Saturday. I got it today. Keep in mind that Monday was a bank holiday in the UK.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6596|Seattle

I'm no pro at these things, but my gf's Zune lasted less than one year before it would no longer turn on. I just hope this new version lasts longer. It looks like it costs a lot more. Looks 
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone

Zimmer wrote:

But the Touch is known for being a below average player for sound quality.
All iPods are. I've had iPod mini, Nano 3rd gen, Nano 5th gen, all poor performing players.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

good review

doesnt have a lot that the itouch/iphone doesnt though... features and capacity wise.

and i'll still take my ipod classic for no other factor than capacity

as said before the argument for 'superior audio fidelity' is a moot point to me. i can be using £300 earphones and a pre-amp and i get little to no discernible difference between identical source files
This is true to a certain extent Uzique. For simple music usability, I feel the Zune has the upper hand. With the quick selection tools and how you manage your music, it does a better/nicer job than the Touch does.

Features.... Well, the Touch doesn't have an OLED screen, which makes a HUGE difference. Simply because it adds a lot more battery power, as the pixels are off when it's black and it uses less power in general.

The fact is, Uzique, that the Zune uses a chip that is so powerful they don't know how to unlock its full potential. Much like the PS3s cell, the nVidia Tegra chip is one hell of a chip, and once they optimise it (planned for March) it will have a hell of a lot more features.

If you're looking for a plethora of useless apps, then look elsewhere, the Zune doesn't have that many atm. Yes, the Touch has some pretty good ones, but it's a tiny percentage. I think MS made half a bad and half a good choice by "hand picking" the developers for the Zune. Whilst the products may be of superior quality than the Apple counterparts, there wont be half as much variety or innovation.

Yeah, I understand the capacity rule, but I can manage with 32GB, I just couldn't with 16GB.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
The Zune player is kinda cool. Refreshing change from WMP. The visual bar at the bottom is quite cool.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Finny, I can't really do much better than this with my poor camera. It's so fast that getting a decent pic is reall hard

https://arktive.com/4.JPG
https://arktive.com/5.JPG

It looks amazing though, and is so hard when put on Turbo with a song like Remember The Name. Fucking epic. I'm going to download the PGR game tonight and try it out.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Looks good
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

King_County_Downy wrote:

I'm no pro at these things, but my gf's Zune lasted less than one year before it would no longer turn on. I just hope this new version lasts longer. It looks like it costs a lot more. Looks 
I have a 1st Gen 30GB Zune, and my wife has an 80GB.  Both are still running strong.  They are the toughest built consumer portable media players that I have ever tested.  I'm planning to get a Zune HD once capacity goes at least 120GB.

Major peeve about the interface though.  Switching categories like say Album, Artist, Genre always goes back to the top of the list.  Many a times I've accidentally switched categories.  A pain in the ass if you've got tons of media to go through.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Ilocano wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

I have a 1st Gen 30GB Zune, and my wife has an 80GB.  Both are still running strong.  They are the toughest built consumer portable media players that I have ever tested.  I'm planning to get a Zune HD once capacity goes at least 120GB.

Major peeve about the interface though.  Switching categories like say Album, Artist, Genre always goes back to the top of the list.  Many a times I've accidentally switched categories.  A pain in the ass if you've got tons of media to go through.
That's not really a problem when you browse using the letters (which IS the easiest way to do it, if you have a lot of media).

Yeah, it may be annoying at times, but all you need to do is quick browse the letters and pick where you were at.

Also, it's never happened to me... Scrolling down the files works flawlessly, it takes a pretty major swipe to get it to switch from Artist to Album or whatever. Unless you put your thumb on the text.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5904|CA
I have the Zune 8GB player, comparable to to Nano.  It eventually stopped working, the player would charge and function, but I couldn't sync it with any PC.  Needless to say, I sent it in to Microsoft, told them my problem, and they shipped another one right back to me.  Works flawlessly now.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

I think I've found out WHY this is so much more appealing to listen to music on than an iPod. It's not its features, it's the way it deals with each little detail when navigating through your library.

The way you just click the big PLAY button on the home screen and it flips over to some sweet music, with the artists images in the background, the little button allowing you to love the song, and the way you can just save a playlist in a few touches with your favourite music.

The way you quickly flick left on the home screen and get a beautiful screen filled with album art of your recent music, and you simply just tap one to start listening.

The small detail that if you click the Album Art when browsing, you'll start playing the song automatically, but if you click the text, you get the list of songs.

The absolutely delightful options when you hit the Artists screen. You get their Bio, Pictures, Related Music, Whole Discography (to download right there and then if you want), or you can simply browse all the songs they have.

It's shit like this that make me WANT to listen to more music, download new bands and check new stuff out. The Touch may be streaks ahead in Apps, Browser and user base, but the Zune has the feeling of "love music, listen more" when you take in your hands. The Touch doesn't.
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6234|Texas
I haven't looked that much into it, but does it have an external volume controller and/or a speaker?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Zimmer, what with OLED, video playback is awesome too!!!

Did they still include Brittany Murphy's "Faster Kill Pussycat" video?

Last edited by Ilocano (2009-12-30 15:00:17)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Yellowman03 wrote:

I haven't looked that much into it, but does it have an external volume controller and/or a speaker?
Neither.

To control volume you click the media button on the side and you get the options there, even when it's on Hold.

No external speaker though, but it's a media player, not a speaker.

Yeah Ilocane, the OLED is just beautiful, but I'm not a fan of watching vids on it. I will try a few "HD" ones next week, but I don't really have time to watch them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

Zimmer wrote:

I think I've found out WHY this is so much more appealing to listen to music on than an iPod. It's not its features, it's the way it deals with each little detail when navigating through your library.

The way you just click the big PLAY button on the home screen and it flips over to some sweet music, with the artists images in the background, the little button allowing you to love the song, and the way you can just save a playlist in a few touches with your favourite music.

The way you quickly flick left on the home screen and get a beautiful screen filled with album art of your recent music, and you simply just tap one to start listening.

The small detail that if you click the Album Art when browsing, you'll start playing the song automatically, but if you click the text, you get the list of songs.

The absolutely delightful options when you hit the Artists screen. You get their Bio, Pictures, Related Music, Whole Discography (to download right there and then if you want), or you can simply browse all the songs they have.

It's shit like this that make me WANT to listen to more music, download new bands and check new stuff out. The Touch may be streaks ahead in Apps, Browser and user base, but the Zune has the feeling of "love music, listen more" when you take in your hands. The Touch doesn't.
that's cool, but i have every single one of those features on the last.fm app on my iphone... which is FREE, and the iphone isnt even a dedicated media player
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

that's cool, but i have every single one of those features on the last.fm app on my iphone... which is FREE, and the iphone isnt even a dedicated media player
Seriously Uzique, what the fuck are you trying to prove? I don't give a shit if you have a last.fm app that does that on your iPhone, I can quite easily access last.fm as well from the Zune. I really don't care. It's about the integration into the media player itself, and the way everything is just there, at your fingertips. I honestly couldn't give a shit if there was an iPhone app that measures the speed your crap comes out when you're on the toilet.

You're not even putting in some useful info or a decent argument, you yourself even said the iPhone isn't a dedicated media player, and you have 3G/GPRS on that, so it's an entirely different gadget altogether.

If you've got nothing decent to say about the review or something to question or to properly argue about, then fine, but if not, just don't post here.

My post about the features there was just to underline how nice it was to browse through the music, something which is just average on the Touch, I don't care if you disagree with that. I was merely making observations on the UI of the Zune; something which people ARE interested to know about. If you're so certain that the Touch is better, that's fine, it's your opinion, just don't bash other peoples comments because you want to put that opinion across.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
im not bashing at all... im asked from the start why the zune is the best media player, and you write me 4 paragraphs of functionalities that i can get from a free download on my phone. it's not the most convincing argument for mp4-player-of-the-year award. so far it's superficialities, a negligible difference in audio-quality and the dubious ps3-esque claim that the "technology is vastly superior, yet unharnessed". well, the ps3 didnt outsell the xbox, nor did it really impress a great deal more...
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

phone.
Oh wait....

Sorry, is that a media player?

The iPhone has more features than the Touch and the Zune BECAUSE it's a phone. Totally irrelevant argument.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i find it especially pertinent... not irrelevant at all. if a phone (read: communication device) has the same level of functionality for media as your dedicated zune (read: media device)- then that diminishes the consumer-appeal somewhat, no? you know the state of media-players is rather average and dire when your logic leaps to suggest that a "phone" gadget automatically supercedes anything an mp3 can do. there used to be a time when phones would offer radio/mp3 as some paltry side-feature that worked terribly and wasn't even a selling point. now phones are doing a better job of playing media than the so-called dedicated players. im not flaming the zune, i used to have one of the original first-gen ones, i'm just universally skeptical about any so-called 'great' mp3 players. as said before my 'alliance' to the ipod extends no further than the fact it gives me 160gb in my pocket.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6590|Reisterstown, MD

Uzique wrote:

dubious ps3-esque claim that the "technology is vastly superior, yet unharnessed". well, the ps3 didnt outsell the xbox, nor did it really impress a great deal more...
I think the ps3 debate is actually a very good comparison to the Zune.  When the ps3 was released in 2006, it was met with so-so fan fare because of the price and lack of good games.  Microsoft's Zune was also met with similar resistance because of the domination of iPod.  However, the ps3 has outsold xbox 360 for a good while now and the Zune is quickly becoming more popular.  I, myself, have a first gen iPod touch and love it.  However, I can see how the Zune could become more popular than the touch just like ps3 has become more popular to own than the 360. 
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6755|Scotland

Actually, it's totally irrelevant.

The fact that the phone has constant internet connection allows it to have more powerful and useful apps than a media player with just Wi-fi. That last.fm application relies on there being an internet connection for it to do it's job. You CANNOT compare a media player to a phone with internet connectivity, because that just isn't fair. The Touch doesn't have the same features as the Zune, which is a direct comparison. Of course the iPhone can have them, it has 3G, which the Touch doesn't have.

The iPhone has always and will always have more functionality than a media player.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard