cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6489|Kakanien
culture:

"When the concept first emerged in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Europe, it connoted a process of cultivation or improvement, as in agriculture or horticulture. In the nineteenth century, it came to refer first to the betterment or refinement of the individual, especially through education, and then to the fulfillment of national aspirations or ideals. In the mid-nineteenth century, some scientists used the term "culture" to refer to a universal human capacity.

In the twentieth century, "culture" emerged as a concept central to anthropology, encompassing all human phenomena that are not purely results of human genetics."

'In 1973, Gerald Weiss reviewed various definitions of culture and debates as to their parsimony and power, and proposed as the most scientifically useful definition that "culture" be defined "as our generic term for all human nongenetic, or metabiological, phenomena"'

"Culture refers to the cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs, values, attitudes, meanings, hierarchies, religion, notions of time, roles, spatial relations, concepts of the universe, and material objects and possessions acquired by a group of people in the course of generations through individual and group striving."

Last edited by cl4u53w1t2 (2009-12-30 14:00:16)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

culture .....
Well Clause, let me be more specific.  What meaningful contributions has Afghanistan brought to the world in terms of religion, innovation, and philosophy?

As far as I've seen, Afghanistan has merely borrowed said things from neighboring countries without really creating much of its own.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

culture .....
Well Clause, let me be more specific.  What meaningful contributions has Afghanistan brought to the world in terms of religion, innovation, and philosophy?

As far as I've seen, Afghanistan has merely borrowed said things from neighboring countries without really creating much of its own.
You could say the same thing about Texas.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

culture .....

Texas isn't a country....  no matter how much it pretends to be...  lol.. 
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6427|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

culture .....

Not so much...

Education can be painful. But you really should try it once in a while.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard