Nintendogamer
+72|6579|Chelmsford, UK
hasn't really got off to great start for me:

go to a dealership in nearby town witham which was selling a citroen saxo, when we arrived the "dealership" was just a load of portakabins which had seen better days, so my dad and i thinking not great first impressions.  then we go to look at the car in question which was this one:
http://motors.thisistotalessex.co.uk/ca … d=17793926

looks in good condition at first glance right?

on closer inspection it had a lot of faults, mouldy seats, missing radio, various dents in it......so we left.

And today we went to look at dealership which has a great website and a good selection of cars, but we couldn't find it. wasn't advertised or directed to where it could be, came home and found out that it was off the beaten track a bit and located here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&a … iwloc=addr (the bunch of sheds with loads of cars lying around)

also seen various cars for sale, called numbers and got the message "this number has not been recognised" a few times.

so all in all not going to well for me, anyone got any tips on what to look out for at dealerships to see if they are dodgy or not.
Benzin
+576|5991
Always check the condition of the oil in the car. Check it BEFORE you test drive and AFTER you test drive. Also check coolant levels, look around for leaks on the car before the test drive, too.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Autotrader is a good website for looking for cars but i suppose you know that, also buy the autotrader magazine as they have diffrent cars to the website.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

Get a Matiz.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Buying a car from a dealership attached to a brand is always the better choice, you pay a little more but guaranties and fixing problems you may encounter is easier ...

If your first impression of the dealer is "shitty" the cars are often worse ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England

Cheez wrote:

Get a Matiz.
I think he's a guy.
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6612|Auteuil, Laval
Car dealers,  I could beat the crap out of'em.  I hate them so much I would invent medicine to cure from them.
But what Varegg says is right nonetheless.  You want a Citroen go to a Citroen dealer.
Your in EU so I'm not sure how the laws apply overthere but usually should come out of there protected for at least a minimal period.
Somethime by spending a bit more you get more out of the same buck. 

Do you have car inspectors in your area?  Is the alternator chargind 14.4v or less?  Battery posts?  Battery inflated?  Lift the carpets in the car where you can to find evidence of rust or wrinkled metal that would be a sign of accident.  Damn there's so much to check on a car.  Could a check list for buying a car could be found on the Internet?  Going to an individual that is selling his car may not be a bad option also.

Anyway better take the time and not get too excited when a nice looking one shows up.  Check all cars with the same methodology and carefullness.  Since it's not an investment but an expenditure, better make sure you get the best bang for the buck you can. 

Good luck!

Edit = spelling

Last edited by Jean_Peste_tu? (2009-12-17 09:53:11)

jay_courage
Alive in a sea of mediocre
+131|5951|Carnoustie
I've had nothing but bad experiences with dealers, little rat bastards they are. If you can find a genuine private seller it's definitly worth the risk of having no warrenty. Dealers just try to get out of the warrenty anyway they possibly can :-/
I Friggin Love The Nhs
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
I'll sell your my Clio in January if you want.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

jay_courage wrote:

I've had nothing but bad experiences with dealers, little rat bastards they are. If you can find a genuine private seller it's definitly worth the risk of having no warrenty. Dealers just try to get out of the warrenty anyway they possibly can :-/
'Tis true, warranties also only usually cover labour, not parts, so they just bung a 100% markup on the parts to cover labour.  Private sellers are where the bargains are at, take a friend who knows a decent amount about vehicle mechanics with you and have them look it over, it's what I do, perks of having a mechanic in the family I fix his PC he helps me buy my car lol.

Oh and don't get a Saxo, grotty little deathtraps.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
Private sellers/Auctions>Dealers.
Nintendogamer
+72|6579|Chelmsford, UK
went to look at a vauxhall corsa today

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ … ;logcode=p .

first impressions the car looked great, on closer inspection, one of the tyres was bald, but the owner said he can change it for us, so we thought that would be ok. then my dad drove the thing............

the engine sounded loud and worn out , funny steering, bad brakes. its a 1 litre car and it was louder than my dads 1.6 litre car. also felt weird when being driven around in it.

the hunt continues.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6466|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Im hoping to sell my 97 ford fiesta ghia soon. If your interested.
Hooch Pandersnatch
I like shoes
+26|6114|West Aus
Buying your first car is a piece of piss, now buying your second that is difficult.

Your first car you usually have limited finances and little or no expectations, by the time the second car comes around you should have both of these in spades.

I am currently looking at buying my second car. The West Australian police force decided my first car was no longer roadworthy.

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Private sellers/Auctions>Dealers.
Asking if private seller will allow a mechanic to inspect the car doesn't hurt either, most automotive insurance companies of this service for around 100 AUD.

Good Luck
Cheez

Hooch Pandersnatch wrote:

The West Australian police force decided my first car was no longer roadworthy.
To be fair they were overlooking that missing wheel for a while now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Don't assume buying from a dealer, other than a manufacturers main dealer, gives you any benefit.
The kind of warranty they sell you is almost worthless, again unless its a main dealer who will at least be able to fix and service the thing.
If you want an older car, main dealers often have an age limit of 2-3-4 years, sometimes they'll sell you a trade in 'as-seen' ie no warranty at roughly the price they'd expect at auction, sometimes lower as its straight off their hands, make sure its the brand they sell and preferably been serviced by them.

The portakabin brigade are usually crap, all they do is buy at auction, tart them up a bit and flog them on.

Have you tried an auction?
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

Think about a better quality older car maybe, and if you're buying a 10 year old car go for simplicity, gizmos fail first, French car's electronics are not good.

Assume whatever you buy it will either need something fixed or could have some terminal flaw, then you won't be disappointed.
Buy a Haynes manual, it will at least give you some insight into any problems to cut through mechanic BS.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ioan92
+337|5714

Cheez wrote:

Hooch Pandersnatch wrote:

The West Australian police force decided my first car was no longer roadworthy.
To be fair they were overlooking that missing wheel for a while now.
Is your avatar representing the Crux Constellation?

PS sorry off topic..

Last edited by Ioan92 (2010-01-23 06:22:42)

Cheez

It's the Southern Cross like on the Australian flag. I've made it commie because we're getting filter'd.
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6612|Auteuil, Laval

Dilbert_X wrote:

Buy a Haynes manual, it will at least give you some insight into any problems to cut through mechanic BS.
Having more than one of those, I can tell you, when you own a used car they come handy. 
One of those saved my life/money with my Sunbird.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Nintendogamer wrote:

first impressions the car looked great, on closer inspection, one of the tyres was bald, but the owner said he can change it for us, so we thought that would be ok. then my dad drove the thing............

the engine sounded loud and worn out , funny steering, bad brakes. its a 1 litre car and it was louder than my dads 1.6 litre car. also felt weird when being driven around in it.

the hunt continues.
Who the hell chose that thing? They obviously don't like you as they're terrible for safety, not great for fuel, piss poor on power/torque and fall apart frequently. For 1600 I can pick up a decent Audi A4 FFS lol.

EDIT: Looks like it's needed towing at some point too.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2010-01-23 10:23:13)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Nintendogamer wrote:

the hunt continues.
Who the hell chose that thing? They obviously don't like you as they're terrible for safety, not great for fuel, piss poor on power/torque and fall apart frequently. For 1600 I can pick up a decent Audi A4 FFS lol.
My last Alfa 156 was less than that - perfect nick (except 2 dodgy tires) with only 34000 miles....

But you've got to consider that if this is his first car he probably won't be able to insure anything like that.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Probably not but at least get something decent,  I not long ago got a friend a 4/5 year old Ranault Clio Dynamique for £1600, 38k on the clock, mint condition, full main dealer service history, not a mark on it.  She's 19 and got fully comp insurance for £490 on that.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2010-01-23 10:32:24)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Probably not but at least get something decent,  I not long ago got a friend a 4/5 year old Ranault Clio Dynamique for £1600, 38k on the clock, mint condition, full main dealer service history, not a mark on it.  She's 19 and got fully comp insurance for £490 on that.
That'll be why....

Not that I'm saying that'd be unsuitable (except for the fact it's French).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-01-23 10:36:16)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

Nothing wrong with small French cars, they're built like tanks engine wise, the suspension can be a little weak at times and the drive shafts last a year or so less than comparative German cars but, for first cars they've got it nailed in all the right places, cheap to insure, cheap parts, cheap to run, cheap to tax and easy to drive.

I'd give bigger French cars a miss though, they do hatchbacks well but, the rest of the bunch isn't great.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Nothing wrong with small French cars, they're built like tanks engine wise, the suspension can be a little weak at times and the drive shafts last a year or so less than comparative German cars but, for first cars they've got it nailed in all the right places, cheap to insure, cheap parts, cheap to run, cheap to tax and easy to drive.

I'd give bigger French cars a miss though, they do hatchbacks well but, the rest of the bunch isn't great.
There's lots wrong with almost all French cars. The main thing being that they're all horrid.

Renault have the worst reliability of any manufacturer. Peugeot make disgusting cars that are horrific to drive. Citroen don't seem quite as bad, but I've driven fewer Citroens and that may be why I hate them less.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard