mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6873|Sydney, Australia

JohnG@lt wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Err... it is technically illegal to use a cellphone while driving in most states now...
It is? That's a welcome change from the pop-culture image of America that's presented on TV here..

What are the penalties, in your state for example?

Here if a driver gets caught, they get a fine of $250-330 and lose 3 or 4 demerit points from their license. Provisional drivers (17-21) have either 4 or 7 demerit points on their license (depending on the class of license).. so to lose that much is a lot. If all are lost, then the license is usually suspended for 6 months..
New York State has a law that does not allow you to use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive. If you use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive, except to call 911 or to contact medical, fire or police personnel about an emergency, you can receive a traffic ticket and pay a maximum fine of $100 and mandatory surcharges and fees of $80.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm#cell
So, $180 here in NY.
That's good to hear, although $180 isn't really going to deter that many people. It would be nice to see some sort of penalty on the license.. eg. something like our demerit points. Is there something like that over there (in NY specifically, as you'd be familiar with that)?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5509|London, England

mcminty wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

mcminty wrote:

It is? That's a welcome change from the pop-culture image of America that's presented on TV here..

What are the penalties, in your state for example?

Here if a driver gets caught, they get a fine of $250-330 and lose 3 or 4 demerit points from their license. Provisional drivers (17-21) have either 4 or 7 demerit points on their license (depending on the class of license).. so to lose that much is a lot. If all are lost, then the license is usually suspended for 6 months..
New York State has a law that does not allow you to use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive. If you use a hand-held mobile telephone while you drive, except to call 911 or to contact medical, fire or police personnel about an emergency, you can receive a traffic ticket and pay a maximum fine of $100 and mandatory surcharges and fees of $80.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm#cell
So, $180 here in NY.
That's good to hear, although $180 isn't really going to deter that many people. It would be nice to see some sort of penalty on the license.. eg. something like our demerit points. Is there something like that over there (in NY specifically, as you'd be familiar with that)?
"This violation does not carry any driver violation points assigned by the DMV."
So no. I happen to think driving with a cell phone should carry the same penalties as a DUI. You're negatively effecting everyone around you on the road.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
mcminty

JohnG@lt wrote:

"This violation does not carry any driver violation points assigned by the DMV."
So no. I happen to think driving with a cell phone should carry the same penalties as a DUI. You're negatively effecting everyone around you on the road.
Oh whoops, I glossed over that.

And yes, I totally agree.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6300|'straya
Idiots that talk on their phone while driving are just that, idiots. I don't see how a company is responsible for someone being an ass. It's like suing a cutlery company because someone stabbed your parents with a knife...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Idiots that talk on their phone while driving are just that, idiots. I don't see how a company is responsible for someone being an ass. It's like suing a cutlery company because someone stabbed your parents with a knife...
I believe someone successfully sued a gun shop owner for selling the weapon that was used in a murder... I wish juries didn't consist of Pauly Shore's.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6847|NJ
I hate this shit.. Honestly the 20 year old who ran the red light took a persons life. I can only imagine how much that weighs on his concision.

It happened, accidents happen. He now has to live the remainder of his life knowing that he killed someone and I really think that's punishment enough.

Hell I almost died the other month because my girls Flip Flop got caught on the gas pedal, we almost got hit by a car doing 55. Lets outlaw flip flops in the car and anyone caught driving with them on should have to pay up to 300 dollars.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5853|College Park, MD
Yeah you're right let's just not punish people for manslaughter or murder, they have to live with what they've done.

Do you suggest we not punish people for DUI either? I mean, accidents happen. It weighs on his conscience. People who kill others while DUI have to live with that the rest of their lives...

You seem to miss the point that people who do these sorts of things probably don't have much regard for the safety of others to begin with, so what the fuck do they care if they "accidentally" (to me, an accident would be the car suddenly breaking down or the driver going unconscious. Not making a deliberate choice to do something risky) do something to someone? Most murderers aren't remorseful for what they do, because their minds are already screwed up which is why they commit murder in the first place.

I mean you can go ahead and keep letting threats to society roam the streets. But I'd rather have one less person who makes poor choices whilst driving out on my streets. I've heard WAY too many stories of people who get arrested for DUI a few times and the most they get is a month in jail, and then finally one day they actually kill someone and everyone acts surprised.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6816|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Yeah you're right let's just not punish people for manslaughter or murder, they have to live with what they've done.
I'm with you on this one mate.

The USA should grant those responsible for 9/11 total amnesty and invite them to become citizens. I mean, they have to live with what they caused.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6887|Salt Lake City

Hey, I wonder if I could sue this lady for being such a fucking retard and screwing up our judicial system worse than it already is.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6803|USA

Macbeth wrote:

Questions about how much the wireless industry knew about the risks of distracted driving are not academic — at least not to Jennifer Smith.

Ms. Smith’s mother was killed last year when her car was hit by a driver talking on his cellphone. Ms. Smith, 35, has sued the companies that provided the driver’s phone and wireless service.

She hopes to prove that the companies should have foreseen the dangers and that they failed to provide adequate warnings.

Legal experts said her lawsuit, currently the only such case and one of only a handful ever filed, faces steep challenges but also raises interesting questions about responsibility for behavior that is a threat to everyone on the road.

“This is a compelling type of legal claim,” said Kenneth A. Bamberger, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law. “It deals with the widespread use of a product we now know is involved in significant risk and deals with the ultimate question of who should contribute in minimizing the risk.”

The lawsuit, filed in October, involves a crash in Oklahoma City on Sept. 3, 2008. Ms. Smith’s mother, Linda Doyle, 61, died after her Toyota Rav4 was hit by a Ford pickup driven by Christopher Hill. Mr. Hill, then 20, told the police he was so distracted by a cellphone call that he ran a red light at 45 miles an hour, hitting Ms. Doyle’s car as it crossed in front of him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/techn … .html?_r=1
So legit court case or overboard. I say overboard.

Damn it burnzz
Yet another shining example of a frivolous lawsuit from yet another member of the entitlement generation. With the clear message: Want to be success? Take it away from someone that already is and has what you want.

She will win this.
cpt.fass1
+329|6847|NJ

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Do you suggest we not punish people for DUI either? I mean, accidents happen. It weighs on his conscience. People who kill others while DUI have to live with that the rest of their lives...

You seem to miss the point that people who do these sorts of things probably don't have much regard for the safety of others to begin with, so what the fuck do they care if they "accidentally" (to me, an accident would be the car suddenly breaking down or the driver going unconscious. Not making a deliberate choice to do something risky) do something to someone? Most murderers aren't remorseful for what they do, because their minds are already screwed up which is why they commit murder in the first place.

I mean you can go ahead and keep letting threats to society roam the streets. But I'd rather have one less person who makes poor choices whilst driving out on my streets. I've heard WAY too many stories of people who get arrested for DUI a few times and the most they get is a month in jail, and then finally one day they actually kill someone and everyone acts surprised.
Yeah man cause getting a phone call and doing something stupid is what caused this accident? Ever thought that it might not have been the phone at all, and he would have run the light?

Here's a saying Excuses are like assholes and they all stink..

Lets face it, all these DUI laws are coming into effect and being really serious and the what not and from what I can tell is we have the same amount of accidental fatalities anyway.

Hurricane2k9 the Laws in this country are crazy, and actually way worse for our society. Just let me know how many children you see playing outside and being active day to day. I'm sure you'll notice it's a lot less then it was when you were younger.
mcminty
To clarify for Flecco, ya numbnuts

mcminty wrote:

I guess I'm lucky that Australia has a population around 1/14th that of America's - it takes a lot less effort to convince a majority of people to make and adopt to laws critical to community safety.

mcminty wrote:

1/14th

mcminty wrote:

1/ 14 th

mcminty wrote:

one fourteenth
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5853|College Park, MD

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 the Laws in this country are crazy, and actually way worse for our society. Just let me know how many children you see playing outside and being active day to day. I'm sure you'll notice it's a lot less then it was when you were younger.
That's probably cos of overprotective parents. I don't see any law that says "thou shalt not climb the monkey bars."

As for DUI laws not stopping DUIs, well yeah murder laws don't stop murders either. But the swift and strong punishment of people who violate those laws will prevent repeat offenses from that offender, and eventually there will be a paradigm shift in how people treat drinking and driving or texting and driving. It took a while for man to create laws saying we shouldn't mindlessly kill each other, and even then it took a while for man to listen to those laws. It's not an overnight change.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
cpt.fass1
+329|6847|NJ
I didn't say the DWI laws didn't stop DWI's, I said we have the same amount of accidents anyway. Which is true, the amount of death by motor vehicle accidents per year have remained the same since the 80's.. Remember just because the driver is drunk doesn't mean he was the cause of the accident..

Men still mindlessly kill each other, the only difference is now it's illegal to kill to protect ones self.  Most laws that are passed really only look good on paper and make sense on paper. Also these Swift and Strong Punishments don't stop repeat offenders at all, they just put them on ice. I think it's 90% of people in prison are repeat offenders? I'd like to see steps that actually rehabilitate people put into effect.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-12-07 15:05:14)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Yet another shining example of a frivolous lawsuit from yet another member of the entitlement generation. With the clear message: Want to be success? Take it away from someone that already is and has what you want.

She will win this.

Just sayin'.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6803|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

She will win this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo

Just sayin'.
sorry, didn't make the connection
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6720|Mountains of NC

cell companies should start putting big ass arrows pointing to the : included in box : 1 hands free earpiece and mikerphone
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
cpt.fass1
+329|6847|NJ
Also I would like to say that if I got AIDS I probably wouldn't have any children and would try not to have sex with women any more.. I'd probably become a priest.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard