Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Anyone know of one?

I've been using TightVNC and UltraVNC - but they're too damn slow.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6660|The darkside of Denver
I dont think tight VNC is that bad....
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

It's not the VNC that's slow. It the connection. You can't do anything about that. It's always been like that.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

SonderKommando wrote:

I dont think tight VNC is that bad....
It's slow and laggy. Even over LAN.

I don't like it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

It's not the VNC that's slow. It the connection. You can't do anything about that. It's always been like that.
Direct point to point gigabit link - it's not the connection that's slow.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

I use TightVNC at work, it's instant on an over used 100MBps LAN   I don't think software is your problem.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6671|The Netherlands
RealVNC
They have a free viewer
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

I use TightVNC at work, it's instant on an over used 100MBps LAN   I don't think software is your problem.
Maybe it's the combination of using a different client to the server end?

I'm not connecting to a tightVNC server - maybe that's the issue?

Works really, really fast for the built in VNC client in OSX. But I want to connect to it using Windows, at a decent speed.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-12-02 13:26:17)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

I use UltraVNC and RealVNC and theyre about the same in speed
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

Bertster7 wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Maybe it's the combination of using a different client to the server end?

I'm not connecting to a tightVNC server - maybe that's the issue?

Works really, really fast for the built in VNC client in OSX. But I want to connect to it using Windows, at a decent speed.
Possible, I've never tried it with anything other than TightVNC both ends and always on Windows rigs. 

I had a cracked version of something aaaaaages ago which was amazing, had all the functions of VNC and a fuck ton more (including network wide remote shutdown for all workstations, without the need for it to be installed on the victi... err other PCs)  I'd kill to have that now, it'd save me a lot of walking about at the end of the day... if only I could remember what the fuck it was called, been trying to find it again for over a year lol.
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine
I use TightVNC on LAN and it's instantaneous.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

CrazeD wrote:

do you use it on both ends of the connection though?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

Oh fuck me my brain just sparked, may have taken 12 months but it got there, EMCO Remote desktop, it used to be EMCO remote shutdown (which they still do minus the remote admin parts and remote desktop now only shuts down the target PC ).

If anyone has acquired EMCO Remote shutdown can you let me know it'd be sooooooo handy at work.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Remote Assitance maybe? It's already built into the OS. I've never noticed any sort of lag with it other than the usual home-user's internet being slow.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

Bertster7 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Not sure what you mean by both ends.

My local webserver has VNC server installed and my PC has the viewer. I only connect to the webserver from my PC, not the other way around.

Also, on the downloads page there is some driver thingy that is supposed to speed up the display.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

CrazeD wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Not sure what you mean by both ends.

My local webserver has VNC server installed and my PC has the viewer. I only connect to the webserver from my PC, not the other way around.

Also, on the downloads page there is some driver thingy that is supposed to speed up the display.
Both ends means that on the server you're connecting to, you have TightVNC running; therefore when connecting to the server WITH tightVNC, you've got a tightVNC <-> tightVNC connection, instead of tightVNC <-> UltraVNC/Other connection. Which would imply that it isn't optimised.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

King_County_Downy wrote:

Remote Assitance maybe? It's already built into the OS. I've never noticed any sort of lag with it other than the usual home-user's internet being slow.
Remote assistance?

I don't think you guys are quite understanding what I'm trying to do here....

I have a Mac Mini running that does a variety of things. This is connected to my main Windows machine directly by ethernet - no routers, nothing (that's all on a separate interface). I don't have space for more monitors and keyboards/mice, so I want to remote into it to do stuff. Typically I would use VNC to connect to Macs because it works really well and they have a lovely built in VNC client/server (which is what ARD uses, which I also sometimes use, but it seems a bit excessive for most home purposes). From Apple laptops connected via WLAN and from machines at work over the Internet it runs really smoothly - but using a Windows based client such as Tight VNC or Ultra VNC it runs really slowly and lags a lot.

I can easily control my PC from other PCs.
I can easily control my PC from other Macs.
I can easily control my Mac from other Macs.
I can easily control my PC or my Mac from my phone.

How the fuck do I control my Mac from my PC? I thought VNC would be pretty much foolproof. That turned out to be a foolish assumption. It works - but it's too slow to be a proper solution.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Clearly the Mac version of the VNC doesn't like interacting with the Windows version.

I understood perfectly what you meant the first time.

I looked into your problems Bertster and it seems to be a common problem.

The trick is not to use Macs integrated VNC, but to install separate ones. Use these two
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/ - Client
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/ - Server

And either RealVNC or TightVNC for your Windows based.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

Clearly the Mac version of the VNC doesn't like interacting with the Windows version.

I understood perfectly what you meant the first time.

I looked into your problems Bertster and it seems to be a common problem.

The trick is not to use Macs integrated VNC, but to install separate ones. Use these two
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/ - Client
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/ - Server

And either RealVNC or TightVNC for your Windows based.
Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go when I can be bothered to plug IO devices into this Mac....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard