Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

NSW has been piss poor for awhile, imo because the Liberal opposition has been even worse.

Apart from Barry O'Farrell, and maybe the opposition minister for health, you never hear or see any opposition spokesmen. They just don't get enough attention, or are not active enough in the media to debate policy in front of the public.
In this case publicity may be a curse, not a blessing.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland

AussieReaper wrote:

NSW has been piss poor for awhile, imo because the Liberal opposition has been even worse.

Apart from Barry O'Farrell, and maybe the opposition minister for health, you never hear or see any opposition spokesmen. They just don't get enough attention, or are not active enough in the media to debate policy in front of the public.
Similar in QLD. No one thought Bligh would win, but she got in anyway. Mainly because the opposition didnt have any decent members and keep coming up with the same old shit ( LNP were the National party in a different dress. Lawrence Springborg is as think as shi tbut thought he would have another go anyway). A good labor scare campain didnt hurt its cause either.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
Rarrrrr, have to vote on Saturday!!!

Zoo Weekly has approached “chk chk boom girl” Clare Werbeloff to promote its wares by having her run as a candidate.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
OMG. Just voted and there was 22 candidates... wtf!
And not one of them labor.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

DrunkFace wrote:

Rarrrrr, have to vote on Saturday!!!

Zoo Weekly has approached “chk chk boom girl” Clare Werbeloff to promote its wares by having her run as a candidate.
She's got my vote.
What does her manifesto say about computer games?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-12-04 17:43:19)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
She didn't end up running
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

You did the next best thing and voted for the Sex Party?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland
Looks like the Libs got both seats ( Higgins and Bradfield). Minor swings against, but nothing significant. I am not sure if this really says much as Labor didnt actually run a candidate. Higgins has always been Liberal, so it may take an election to get a good idea of what is happening.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
The Greens are polling higher than Labor did last election
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland
True , but those seats are so Liberal that they would look to the Greens before voting Labor. That wouldnt suprise me I guess. Dont get me wrong, I am happy to see a greater Greens contingent in both houses.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

True , but those seats are so Liberal that they would look to the Greens before voting Labor. That wouldnt suprise me I guess. Dont get me wrong, I am happy to see a greater Greens contingent in both houses.
Given that Green are further left than labor (who are centre-right nowadays) I doubt that...
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Spark wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Given that Green are further left than labor (who are centre-right nowadays) I doubt that...
Abbott wants to fight an election on global warming, who do you think is going to win that one?

lol
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Abbot strikes me as the typical moronic blokish sort of jerk politics in this country already has far too many of.
I've yet to hear anything sensible and not laced with political smart-arsery come out of his mouth.
And he's Catholic apparently.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Burwhale wrote:

Looks like the Libs got both seats ( Higgins and Bradfield). Minor swings against, but nothing significant. I am not sure if this really says much as Labor didnt actually run a candidate. Higgins has always been Liberal, so it may take an election to get a good idea of what is happening.
Not really surprising... here the Bradfield electorates history.

Billy Hughes     Liberal     1949–1952
      Henry Turner     Liberal     1952–1974
      David Connolly     Liberal     1974–1996
      Brendan Nelson     Liberal     1996–2009
      Paul Fletcher     Liberal     2009-

making it the safest metropolitan seat in Australia for the Liberals. The 2007 result was the second-closest in the seat's 60-year history (after the 1952 Bradfield by-election against an independent). The Liberal candidate has never had to go to preferences to win the seat.
It doesn't say much at all, except labor had no chance and knew it. It'll take a couple more years of State labor fucking up our district before a less intelligent brand of people can afford to move in and vote labor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Spark wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Yep, the states are doing a piss poor job at the moment. And I hate to say it, but Labor is largely at fault here. Of the 3 levels of govt we have in Australia, we could probably do with out the State govts. That way the Feds collect revenue and pass it to local govts. I doubt any Fed govt would be brave enough to try it though. Constitutionally taking significant power away from the states would be a minefield.
Rudd floated it a while back... well, actually, it was in one of those televised "Q&A" type shows (not the actual Q&A) where someone asked if we could just get rid of state govts. Rudd basically gave "we're considering it, we would like to get rid of waste and duplication (by which he means state govts".
Bur: I couldn't imagine the political turmoil if the Fed gov't here in the US told the states they could no longer directly collect tax.
Spark: I don't suppose the fed would offer to give up some of their power to reduce waste and duplication.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Mad Monk challenged Rudd to a televised debate on climate change.

His policy on climate change is... *ahem*... Pretty much smoke and mirrors. All wishy washy theory on new building codes and shit, nothing solid.

He reminds my father of Keating.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6714|Sydney, Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark: I don't suppose the fed would offer to give up some of their power to reduce waste and duplication.
Good god I wouldn't trust the State Governments with anything else. They already fail enough as it is..
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland

newbie wrote:

Bur: I couldn't imagine the political turmoil if the Fed gov't here in the US told the states they could no longer directly collect tax.
The tax system over here has always worked that way . The Feds collect the taxes and distribute them to the states to spend on whatever. States do get some revenue from items like car registration and stamp duty etc, but arent really meant to collect taxes.

McMinty is right. In Australia, we would generally like the states to have LESS power than more. If a level of govt had to go over here . It would be the state level , no doubt.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6215|Brisneyland

Flecco wrote:

His policy on climate change is... *ahem*... Pretty much smoke and mirrors. All wishy washy theory on new building codes and shit, nothing solid.

Yeah I think it will be a bit one sided . Abbot  doesnt really have anyting with respect to GW, and Rudd knows it. Abbot is pretty smart though, so it wount be a total walk over. I am starting to see news articles saying that even without a carbon tax/Carbon trading system, his system will cost. It remains to be seen how he will pay for it though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

mcminty wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Good god I wouldn't trust the State Governments with anything else. They already fail enough as it is..
So do ours, but that doesn't mean I'd want to move all their power to the US fed...unless they fail even MORE than ours.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Burwhale wrote:

Yep, the states are doing a piss poor job at the moment. And I hate to say it, but Labor is largely at fault here. Of the 3 levels of govt we have in Australia, we could probably do with out the State govts. That way the Feds collect revenue and pass it to local govts. I doubt any Fed govt would be brave enough to try it though. Constitutionally taking significant power away from the states would be a minefield.
Rudd floated it a while back... well, actually, it was in one of those televised "Q&A" type shows (not the actual Q&A) where someone asked if we could just get rid of state govts. Rudd basically gave "we're considering it, we would like to get rid of waste and duplication (by which he means state govts".
To the states? Fuck no, that would be a disaster of the highest magnitude. Federal government is the only level of government that seems mildly competent right now.

Seriously, there's a lot of talk about scrapping - or at the least seriously working - federalism and getting rid of the states. I mean, people are literally begging the Federal government to take over the hospital system. The Catholic hospitals have even offered to use their hospitals as "test subjects".

Burwhale wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Yeah I think it will be a bit one sided . Abbot  doesnt really have anyting with respect to GW, and Rudd knows it. Abbot is pretty smart though, so it wount be a total walk over. I am starting to see news articles saying that even without a carbon tax/Carbon trading system, his system will cost. It remains to be seen how he will pay for it though.
Of course it'll cost, if it was free/easy it would have been done already.

Last edited by Spark (2009-12-05 18:12:41)

~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Wait till Rudd returns from Copenhagen. All he has to do is say "the rest of the world is doing thus" and Abbott will have to follow suite.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Wait till Rudd returns from Copenhagen. All he has to do is say "the rest of the world is doing thus" and Abbott will have to follow suite.
Assuming anything happens, that is.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

^^We need a good Copenhagen thread. A break down of positions and goals. China and India have already refused oversight right?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

^^We need a good Copenhagen thread. A break down of positions and goals. China and India have already refused oversight right?
I'm wary of starting a Copenhagen thread because I have a strong suspicion it will quickly be derailed into more climategate crap.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard