Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
I used to do these, stopped for some reason. Will do another now.

Summary of the last while

The time is August. Gillard promises, several times, on basically every single stage she can, that there will not be a carbon tax. A few weeks back, she and the independents get together and announce, totally out of the blue, that an ETS would be brought in in 2015 (I think it was)... with a lead up transitory period where we would have a carbon tax.

And forgot to announce any details whatsoever. Nothing about compensation other than that there will be some, nothing about the size of the tax other than it would be a positive real number, nothing about where it would apply other than it would be on "polluters" (whatever that means).

And, predictably, the response from TAbbott and the Libs and their array of shock jocks (who for the Americans reading this are very, very, very tame) was to try and provoke a "wtf?!" reaction to the sudden change of heart. Which they got. Gillard since then has floated the possibility of using the tax system to compensate (an idea that strikes me as... bizarre). Polls have been very volatile and bouncy but basically they've been bad... 55-45 to the Libs on the Newpoll 2PP at the top of this week.

---

QT: Nasty. Extraordinarily nasty. The lack of genuinely sharp political operators is really dragging the place down, and it's now genuine vitriol rather than witty sharp banter which is its primary hallmark. Albanese is OK. Gillard has gone backwards for some reason, her old self would have been a breath of fresh air. Turnbull is hamstrung by cabinet solidarity and it shows. Tanner is gone. Roxon is nowhere to be seen for some unintelligible reason. Rudd's bitter. The opposition have barely anyone, Abbott is a soundbite whore, Bishop is predictably mediocre, Pyne is just shrill.

---

NBN is proceeding ahead more or less at full steam.

We wait for the new senate in July. Shit will go down.

---

I note the lack of other issues other than that complete joke and travesty of a political issue, asylum seekers (WHY FFS). Education and health are completely off the radar for some unintelligible reason given that's Gillard's personal strength. Abbott's soundbites are getting really quite annoying. Beating the same drum every. single. day. for a year...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
lol nbn. shits gonna fail hard.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
I like it in theory, but I haven't seen or talked to enough people to know whether this idea will work in practice.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
Now, if you need evidence that the parliament is stagnating...

Mr Albanese, 10:39:42 AM, moved—That the amendments be considered immediately.
Okay, so this is just process. In order to introduce a bill, you have to have a debate on the bill first - in this case, a bunch of amendments to the bill. What this motion is is basically a request to have a debate on the bill.

Mr Turnbull, 10:40:11 AM, Mr Pyne, 10:55:55 AM, Mr Hartsuyker, 11:10:50 AM, Mr Truss, 11:26:43 AM, Mrs B. K. Bishop, 11:38:23 AM, Mr Fletcher, 11:51:12 AM,
But either the Opposition didn't understand this concept and decided to have the debate now anyway, is being rank obtuse or just being annoying, and instead of doing the sensible thing and saying "yes we'll have a debate", they decided to make all their 15-minutes speeches now - before the debate had even started!

So at this point, the sensible thing for Albanese to do would be to go "this is absurd" and close this debate (on having a debate!), and move on.

Mr Albanese, 12:06:25 PM, by leave, again addressed the House, without closing the debate.,
You idiot...

Mrs Prentice, 12:21:28 Mr Wyatt, 12:27:52 PM, Mr Neville, 12:37:56 PM, Mr Billson, 12:50:28 PM, Ms Rowland, 1:05:36 PM, Dr Southcott, 1:20:44 PM, Mr Husic, 1:27:03 PM, Mr Oakeshott, 1:41:56 PM
Now everyone and their mother (but again, mostly the opposition) is making fifteen minute speeches.

Personal explanation, Mr Pyne, 1:57:26 PM

Personal explanation, Mr Albanese, 1:58:26 PM

Dr M. J. Kelly, 1:59:17 PM, Mr Albanese, 2:14:24 PM

Fucking hell. Just hurry up and have the debate already.

Question—put, 2:19:42 PM.
Fucking finally.

The House divided (the Speaker, Mr Jenkins, in the Chair)—

And so it was resolved in the affirmative.

[Div No. 73], 2:19:48 PM to 2:27:48 PM, Ayes 68, Noes 65
So... it took three hours and forty minutes for the house to agree to consider the amendments immediately. Well done chaps.

I can only assume that since this was a special day set aside simply for the consideration of these amendments (it wasn't an actual sitting day, but rather an "extra" day to get this done before they went home for a while) they felt that they needed to pad it out so they didn't feel they were wasting their time by spending the whole weekend in Canberra.

No, it's not usually this bad. I listened to the Senate session on these amendments the previous week and it was pretty good. Useful work being done.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
incoming rant

This article is hilarious.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06 … ial_media/

It is so misguided I'm not completely sure that the author isn't trolling. 

Firstly, Banning the use of skype? Why shouldn't defence members be able to talk to their family and friends over the internet in their own room. Does he realise we are at ADFA for 3-4 years? I'm sure he'd love it if he was banned from personal internet use and any communication for that long. They can manage a network usage policy, and do, just because using skype isn't against it doesn't mean it's wrong. What is to stop cadets just using wireless broadband for skype etc anyway?

Secondly, he is trying to make out that the ADF is this terrible organisation that cares nothing for its members. Jesus christ, the treatment is the same as any 1st world military. In fact look in your own backyard pommy, ADF members get paid better and have better benefits than their British and American counterparts. Also, like the UK military is full of perfect examples of humanity.

And really, brining up the treatment of ADF personal affected by nuclear testing? It was Britain's nukes, and Britain's project that exposed these men to radiation so get off your high horse.

Thirdly, why shouldn't she be punished for the things she has already done? If a woman murdered someone and was later burgled would you argue that she shouldn't go to jail because of "recent trauma" or some rubbish.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-04-06 18:44:33)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

incoming rant

This article is hilarious.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06 … ial_media/

It is so misguided I'm not completely sure that the author isn't trolling. 

Firstly, Banning the use of skype? Why shouldn't defence members be able to talk to their family and friends over the internet in their own room. Does he realise we are at ADFA for 3-4 years? I'm sure he'd love it if he was banned from personal internet use and any communication for that long. They can manage a network usage policy, and do, just because using skype isn't against it doesn't mean it's wrong. What is to stop cadets just using wireless broadband for skype etc anyway?

Secondly, he is trying to make out that the ADF is this terrible organisation that cares nothing for its members. Jesus christ, the treatment is the same as any 1st world military. In fact look in your own backyard pommy, ADF members get paid better and have better benefits than their British and American counterparts. Also, like the UK military is full of perfect examples of humanity.

And really, brining up the treatment of ADF personal affected by nuclear testing? It was Britain's nukes, and Britain's project that exposed these men to radiation so get off your high horse.

Thirdly, why shouldn't she be punished for the things she has already done? If a woman murdered someone and was later burgled would you argue that she shouldn't go to jail because of "recent trauma" or some rubbish.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest.
It's ok LBJ we still love you.

Son he better be trolling lol. ADFA isn't really that secure... You can just drive in and have a walk lol. Same with ASIO
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
The ADFA network also isn't a "secure" one, it is just one for personal use by cadets/uni staff. The actual secure one is the DRN (Defence Restricted Network) which requires a "Classified" security clearance and you certainly can't skype or anything on that.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
One of my mates accidentally ran onto what we think is the DSTO site here in Canberra.

He ran away quickly.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
why is there an australian politics thread, anyway... a bit of a power delusion

may as well have an estonian democracy thread, or a greenland's military discussion
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
because there are a bunch of australians here who like to talk politics without making lots of threads that no one else here will read
~ Richard Feynman
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6723|Purplicious Wisconsin
Yes, they want both AU chats and a AU DS&T chats. Shutup uzique, and let them have their 2 threads.

Edit: corrected my grammar

Last edited by War Man (2011-04-06 20:26:26)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya

War Man wrote:

AU DS&T chats
DS&T?

Debate Serious and Talk?

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-04-07 03:00:06)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
http://www.ada.asn.au/Recent.Comment.htm

Explains it well.

The Defence minister has also been made to apologise for saying that the girl was forced to apologise to her fellow cadets for going to the media (which was completely untrue).
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

Spark wrote:

...array of shock jocks (who for the Americans reading this are very, very, very tame)
Have you ever had to listen to Howard Sattler for an extended period of time?

Roxon is in the spotlight a bit now by the way with these cigarette plain packaging laws. I've got to say I kind of agree with the cigarette company argument - take away the branding and all that cigarette companies are left with to market themselves with is price. Ergo prices come down and cigarettes beome more accessable. I don't see how uglier packages will dissuede curent smokers and probably wont do a great deal to turn off new smokers too - people are attracted to the cigarette not the packet. All this may do is increase the sale of cigarette cases.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5188|Sydney
All this talk of Gillard breaking some "promise" that there would be no Carbon Tax reminds me eerily of when Howard "promised" there would be no GST.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
God I hope I don't have to listen to her for 11 years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX
Use the carbon tax to raise the aged pension?

Who comes up with this rubbish?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5188|Sydney
Yeah that's odd. I'm a bit of a believer in the notion that a tax should be to counter a societal issue, eg. taxing cigarettes to fund cancer research, car registration and traffic infringement into infrastructure, carbon tax into renewable energies.
War Man

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

War Man wrote:

AU DS&T chats
DS&T?

Debate Serious and Talk?
Other people on bf2s type it that way, I used to not to but the assholes made me forget
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
Gotta love knee jerk reactions.

Random announcement that women will now be able to serve in combat roles in the ADF.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n … 6036940271
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6691|Disaster Free Zone
It's about time.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
While I support the idea behind it, it's not overly practical at this point (in my opinion).
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

You mean they couldn't before? In the NZ Army the girls are way more vicous than the blokes - I know, I had to fight one once. Far more suited for combat.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Random announcement that women will now be able to serve in combat roles in the ADF.

eh... not good imo. whole physical thing about it and white knight issues. unless its a bull dyke then meh.
War Man

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Hm, interesting. Lets see how that plays out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard