13rin
+977|6481
Enough of the drivel.   All Americans are dying to know what's the Aussie take on the 'Whale Wars' guys who dock up there is..... .. .
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Sea Shephard - Great, we should be backing them with F111s.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
I miss the F111's, still better than Superhornets IMO ( which really counts for jack shit).
This is the worst election I have seen in my life. It would be a shame to have libs get in as we really need Fibre to the home to compete with OS.
Labor really seems to be floundering a bit, but arent really cutting through.
Such a negative campaign I will be glad when its over.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6151|'straya
Yeah, shit election. I don't really want to vote for either party. But I kinda have the feeling that Labor had their chance and they fucked it.

random sidenote.
F111's aren't gone yet they were awesome aircraft, but when we could only keep 3-4 operational it was getting a bit ridiculous. Superhornets give us brand new, highly capable aircraft that should be able to keep at least 20/24 operational at all times. Which is especially important as our classic hornets continue to age, and the F-35 continues to get delayed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Yeah, shit election. I don't really want to vote for either party. But I kinda have the feeling that Labor had their chance and they fucked it.
This really.

Labour Labor fucked it. (Edited for internet pedants)

Abbott will fuck it.

I'm not seeing an answer.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-14 00:29:50)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Vote for the lesser of two evils.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6151|'straya

AussieReaper wrote:

the devil seems like a better option tbh.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

AussieReaper wrote:

Thats the problem, they're both equally evil, in different ways.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

lbj wrote:

With respect mate, you have though that from day one of this govt.

Realistically they have done really well with the economy. Our unemployment hasnt risen above 6%, and we didnt go into recession. Unfotunately the nature of "Stimulus" is that heaps of money is put into the economy. Its not an exact science. Money was definitely wasted, but the overall objective ws achieved. Debt is actually low, despite the scare tactics of the opposition. Boat people arent an issue either, but Abbott is making it one. Nothing like a scare campaign to influence idiots. I am dissapointed with a lot of labors performance, but Abbot would be catastrophic.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6770
I am going to vote Labor by default. Abbot is not someone I would like to be PM.

My vote doesn't count anyway, I live in a blue ribbon Liberal seat.

I'm more interested in the Vic State Election.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6151|'straya
I don't claim to be an expert, but I think Australia would have come through the financial crisis in a similar situation regardless of who was in power. Debt is low because we effectively had none before we went in, so unless they really cocked the whole thing up and threw billions everywhere it is unlikely we were going to come out with high debt. Also, boat people aren't an issue in my mind. They account for such a small percentage of illegal immigration and really from my perspective the main downside is the stress it puts on our departments (Navy/customs/police etc).

I just feel that almost everything Labor has implement has been fucked in some way; internet filter, broadband network, BER, Insulation, randomly giving everyone $900, their own leadership. To be honest, I doubt Abbott would be "catastrophic", but as I said, I don't really want to vote for either party. I would be far more inclined to vote Liberal if there was someone else at the helm.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

LBJ wrote:

I just feel that almost everything Labor has implement has been fucked in some way; internet filter, broadband network, BER, Insulation, randomly giving everyone $900, their own leadership. To be honest, I doubt Abbott would be "catastrophic", but as I said, I don't really want to vote for either party. I would be far more inclined to vote Liberal if there was someone else at the helm.
I agree and disagree with various parts of this.
1. Internet filter = Fail
2. Broadband network = How did this get fucked up? its just being rolled out . It promises to be pretty good, especially compared to the libs version.
3. BER. Most of this went to good use ( i have been working at a school recently and have seen it 1st hand) money was wasted getting things sped up though. Lets face it, libs would whinge if it happened too slow, so labor was going to lose either way here.
4. Insulation= It was a great scheme, but was poorly implemented. Labor didnt install the insulation it ws the dodgy operators. Labor obviously failed when they didnt allow proper inspection after installation.
5. Giving everyone $900 = win!, it propped up the retail section of the economy. Most economists say this worked.
6. Their own leadership = Cant argue with you on that.

Abbot really has no idea about the economy and is a climate change denier. Having him in charge would make us a joke.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6151|'straya
Anyones thoughts on Gillard? not really sure yet myself
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Every time she's actually been put under the spotlight and done a non-scripted thing she has impressed me immensely (although that isn't enough to convince me ofc)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
Scary thing is I think she will make a better leader than Rudd. I think she chose a crap time to contest. I sorta think its too early to tell.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

Scary thing is I think she will make a better leader than Rudd. I think she chose a crap time to contest. I sorta think its too early to tell.
Way, way, way too early. I was wondering what had got into everyone when everyone was begging her to go immediately...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6770

Spark wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Every time she's actually been put under the spotlight and done a non-scripted thing she has impressed me immensely (although that isn't enough to convince me ofc)
I saw her on the ABC last Sunday (I think it was Offsiders with Barry Cassidy). She got asked about 8 questions and didn't really answer any of them. Just turn the question around to an ad for her policies. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying Abbott would be any different, all politicians give me the shits and it seems impossible to get a yes/no answer out of them.

"I am for working families" came up about 17 times.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

BN wrote:

Spark wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I saw her on the ABC last Sunday (I think it was Offsiders with Barry Cassidy). She got asked about 8 questions and didn't really answer any of them. Just turn the question around to an ad for her policies. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying Abbott would be any different, all politicians give me the shits and it seems impossible to get a yes/no answer out of them.

"I am for working families" came up about 17 times.
non-scripted
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Burwhale wrote:

1. Internet filter = Fail
Agree.
2. Broadband network = How did this get fucked up? its just being rolled out . It promises to be pretty good, especially compared to the libs version.
Nothing whatever has yet happened -> Fail
3. BER. Most of this went to good use ( i have been working at a school recently and have seen it 1st hand) money was wasted getting things sped up though. Lets face it, libs would whinge if it happened too slow, so labor was going to lose either way here.
The money wasn't to speed it up, it was just wasted.
4. Insulation= It was a great scheme, but was poorly implemented. Labor didnt install the insulation it ws the dodgy operators. Labor obviously failed when they didnt allow proper inspection after installation.
Labour allowed installers to use material in a way for which it was entirely unsuitable and dangerous, the govt knew this, Gillard knew this. Post-installation inspection is irrelevant, the next scandal will be from people dying from installations which have been inspected and passed 'safe'. It is impossible to reliably inspect this stuff.
5. Giving everyone $900 = win!, it propped up the retail section of the economy. Most economists say this worked.
Retail= Imports, mostly, might be short term 'win' but long term fail.
6. Their own leadership = Cant argue with you on that.
OK

Abbot really has no idea about the economy and is a climate change denier. Having him in charge would make us a joke.
Labour made zero progress on climate too - when it was their number one priority.
We're a joke already IMO, with Gillard sending her bodyguard to critical security meetings.....

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-14 21:29:41)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
Dilbert you are wrong about the NBN. Its is being rolled out. Check internode ISP for FTTH prices. in limited areas so far. So not a fail!!
As for BER.

BER taskforce wrote:

An interim report, released on Friday, says the overall BER versus pre-BER cost differential, for each education authority, is in the range from zero per cent to 12 per cent.

"The higher costs have resulted from the scale, time and complexity of the undertaking," it says.

"Overall, delivering BER P21 within the short timeframe to achieve the economic stimulus objectives may have added a premium to pre-BER business as usual costs of between 5-6 per cent.

"The taskforce will continue to gather and analyse BER and pre-BER project data to enable us to have a more definitive view on value for money for the BER program as a whole by our November 2010 report."
Only 2 percent of schools had complaints. See the bit where it said "BER P21 within the short timeframe to achieve the economic stimulus objectives may have added a premium to pre-BER business as usual costs of between 5-6 per cent."
So most of the money went where it was meant to go, and 98 % of schools are happy.

The $900 bonus.

Dilbert wrote:

might be short term 'win' but long term fail
You really dont get it! Stimulus is meant to be short term. Thats the point, so its a definite win, according to most economists as well.

labor made no progress on climate change because the ETS ws blocked in the senate. remember who blocked it . Tony Abbott, the man himself. The only thing Labor did wrong was not use it as a double dissolution.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

All Gillard had to do is say she'll bring in an ETS, fast internet without a filter and she would have pissed it in easily.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
Maybe true. Although the filter is dead in the water. The greens wont vote for it and neither will the libs ( in the senate that is) so we wont see it raise its ugly head in real life.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

I am genuinely happy the greens will be dominant in the Senate.

I farken hate Family First.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
I will be voting green in the senate too. I think fielding will be getting kicked out as well. So at least some good will come from all this.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Probably will vote Green in the senate (despite their continued opposition to anything nuclear)
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard