uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Uzique wrote:

china has been one of the least bellicose and aggressive nations in modern geopolitical history.
This is completely false.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Tibet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Sovi … r_conflict
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War
i was talking more in terms of giant wars, but fair enough if you want to cite the invasion of tibet as a sign that china is a global menace.

i didn't know about the sino-indian war. thanks for the link.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

so your claim is basically that 'china will embark on a series of hugely costly and destructive wars to settle old historical scores, most of which they objectively settled and won in the past anyway'. OK. i'm sure they are going to invade japan, one of the most populous and developed nations in all of asia, because they're mad that japan won't correct their history textbooks on manchuria.
So why did China invade Tibet? Is their snow crunchier? Do they have huge wealth in resources?
No, they were 'correcting a wrong' over a parcel of land which has changed hands multiple times and didn't want to be part of China, and rescuing the poor Tibetans from their ideological folly in not being communist.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
how many people died in the invasion of tibet? most of the ‘wars’ macbeth linked had combatant numbers and casualties in the hundreds and thousands, and took place during the relatively ‘hot’ cold war.

now what would happen if china tried to invade japan, even with the modest military it has been allowed to have?

are you really comparing a medieval feudal kingdom in the high himalayas with one of the world’s most economically developed countries? aren’t buddhists pacifists, furthermore? what sort of opposition did they mount? i’m sure the japanese will be just as much of a pushover.

i can’t believe this has to be pointed out to you. china took tibet in the same way that russia annexed crimea: because they simply calculated there would be almost zero serious resistance, other than loud protestations. that logic doesn’t extend to world conquest of militarily developed nations, dilderp.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-23 04:50:18)

Larssen
+99|1885
Beyond relatively small scale regional conflicts there is a near 0% chance of an open war with China. I explained this on the last page - why push the point?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

how many people died in the invasion of tibet? most of the ‘wars’ macbeth linked had combatant numbers and casualties in the hundreds and thousands, and took place during the relatively ‘hot’ cold war.

now what would happen if china tried to invade japan, even with the modest military it has been allowed to have?

are you really comparing a medieval feudal kingdom in the high himalayas with one of the world’s most economically developed countries? aren’t buddhists pacifists, furthermore? what sort of opposition did they mount? i’m sure the japanese will be just as much of a pushover.

i can’t believe this has to be pointed out to you. china took tibet in the same way that russia annexed crimea: because they simply calculated there would be almost zero serious resistance, other than loud protestations. that logic doesn’t extend to world conquest of militarily developed nations, dilderp.
The Taiwanese probably can't put up more than token resistance against the PLA, I suppose that makes it OK.

China did also fight and/or support long term actual large scale wars in Korea and Vietnam.

Now that China actually has a modern, nuclear armed military its a wholly different situation, according to your argument no nearby nation can put up more than a few days token resistance so it is in fact quite likely they'll go ahead.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Beyond relatively small scale regional conflicts there is a near 0% chance of an open war with China. I explained this on the last page - why push the point?
China won't themselves start a war, they will annex areas and impose central rule, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc, and dare anyone to start a war over it.
Then they'll steadily expand until they have enough regional control to dominate totally, imposing up tribute governments initially.
Larssen
+99|1885
Well in the case of Hong Kong, it already is officially part of China. Nothing anyone can or will do. In the case of Taiwan, it's complicated but ultimately also not an issue any other power would want to be involved in militarily.

However you have to second guess your assumption that it will be militarily taken. What's the political goal here? Would an occupation be sustainable? Would it help or hinder China's global and economic positioning? If you ask me they already have enough regions with less than satisfied populations. Violently adding that island full of inhabitants hostile to the new rule does not read like a proper strategic plan. Much less the idea to then somehow dominate the rest of the region. This isn't the age of empire anymore Dilbert, the course of history has demonstrated these pursuits are not sustainable or very fruitful. We had superpowers eclipsing China lose colonies against far less advanced adversaries than say the Taiwanese. There's no real argument to assume things would now play out differently.

What annoys me most and this is recurring in all your statements: there is no argument. It's only a list of conclusions.

'The Chinese are evil bent on dominating the planet'
'They will start by annexing Taiwan to impose central rule'

Do you peer into a crystal ball, look at the stars and read horoscopes to come up with this? I don't think it's acceptable in your own engineering field to make assumptions without reasoned mathematical arguments, so why skip that attention to detail in everything else....

Last edited by Larssen (2020-04-23 05:45:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm going on China's behaviour between 1949 and the present day.
uziq
+492|3450
well why aren't you alarmed about the US? look at US foreign policy from 1949--present. china's geopolitics were influenced by the cold war, as were america's. all of the wars that macbeth linked (one of which i have to admit i hadn't before heard of) were to do with border disagreements and cold war maneuvering. has china invaded several completely innocent nations in that time for reasons that have nothing to do with border disputes? where's china's iraq-afghanistan? where's china's fake-concocted stories about having to depose foreign leaders because of WMDs? where's china's litany of strong-men and useful dictators, installed across latin america or africa? compared to the former colonial-european powers and the neo-colonial pax americana, china's geopolitical influence and ambition has been slight and marginal.

america is aggressively promoting a strategy of containment in the south china sea and around the pacific. it has about as many air and naval bases as there are volcanic islands in the pacific rim. again, why wouldn't china try to ensure safe access to the sea? it's the same strategic importance that has seen it build new ports in pakistan and nurture close ties with the junta in burma (no different from the US in panama/guadalcanal and the UK in suez, both of which featured military invasions, and in the former case deposed leaders, lots of dead civilians and military atrocities).

why doesn't the west give you as much alarm and cause for grief? aren't we just as likely to take the world to the brink of global immolation? could it possibly be that you're afraid of the chinaman because he speaks a different language and eats a different cuisine to you?

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-23 06:26:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't really see America invading Australia TBH.
uziq
+492|3450
once again, the chances of a power invading another advanced nation in the 21st century are almost nil. military tech means that a total war would quickly escalate to catastrophic proportions. the global community wouldn't stand by and watch such a thing happen -- including its nuclear superpowers.

furthermore, we are all more or less playing from the global capitalism hymn sheet now. the market is our true binding leader, regardless of nationalist protestations and grandstanding. why would china want to destroy the global economy? it is reliant upon it for its trade and import/export. why would it want to go down the hugely costly route of invading a sovereign power to attain minerals, when it can very easily trade at a massive advantage for the very same end? china would become a pariah state, shunned and embargo'd by the world, if it were to invade australia.

it's complete fucking claptrap and paranoiac-hysteria of the highest order.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-23 06:33:20)

Larssen
+99|1885

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm going on China's behaviour between 1949 and the present day.
I see very little absolute consistency in Chinese policies between 1949 and 2020. That period covers a number of rulers who acted very differently and marked economic, cultural, political shifts, in China and globally, not the least of which the cultural revolution, famine, wars at the border, the economic upswing from the late 80s onward (caused by a huge break with preceding policies). You can look even more recently: why, for example, did the Chinese government not send the army in HK to subdue democratic protests in the way it subdued them in Beijing during Tiananmen? That in itself is an important indicator that things have changed and current government officials see things differently.

You're going to have to do better than this.
uziq
+492|3450
as i've been alluding to, it's clear that dilbert sees things primarily in terms of essentialist racial/ethnic categories, therefore 'the chinese' is a universal and ahistorical essence, not a historically contingent phenomenon with a political history with nuance, context and development. really his glissando reasoning of '1949 and the present day' is probably a stand-in because he hasn't ever read much of anything on pre-communist china.

it's another instance of where his prophetic powers of 'always being right eventually' are all so damnably wrong.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
You guys are a bunch of cucks. Imagine being so dedicated to not being racist that you defend a country that wants to overthrow your civilization.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3450
i don't think race has anything to do with it, which is why i criticize dilbert. i have no desire to 'defend' the chinese race just as i have no desire to 'criticise' the white race. can you stop being so obsequious to white people, again? it's your least appealing habit.

how does china want to overthrow western civilization? i just don't see it. outcompeting someone at their own game is hardly overthrowing their civilization. it's not china's fault that america's economy is on the wane and all they have left is fake numbers on wall street.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-23 07:51:26)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I am not being obsequious to white people. When the Chinese overthrow you it will be the fault of the dumb white people who vote right wing and have football brains. Of course they will blame the brown people when it happens. As is their tradition.

The Chinese don't want to make your stuff for you forever. They want to replace all of the western institutions with their own. They want your economies to choke from bat flu and get bought out by their companies.

The Chinese don't give a shit about you. They will not return the open-minded tolerance you send their way. Just because white people get treated nicely in their Hong Kong vacations doesn't mean they actually like you. Only white liberals are naive enough to think they want anything from you other than your money and trophy white women.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
You may roll your eyes at me when I defend western civilization. But western civilization is the one I am a part of as were my ancestors. You guys defend Islam and China when they want nothing more from you then your money and death. And the inability of liberals to separate criticism of those civilizations and the treatment of domestic minorities does a disservice to all involved.
uziq
+492|3450
you sound clinically insane but i am not surprised. spend a little less time on the internet and in the company of chinese people. i have done and i'm not sure where you're getting this comic book impression from.

yes, china as a nation wants to become self-reliant and to move away from factory-line work making clothes and plastic toys for the west. is anyone surprised? they've been the pack-mules of the global economy for 30 years. china wants its own bourgeoisie and its own on-brand, pro-party intelligentsia. good luck to them. it doesn't mean they want to 'destroy' the west.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Uzique just because you nailed (allegedly) some Chinese woman doesn't mean your experience with them is representative of how they feel about the west. And like I said, Chinese living in the west are not Chinese people in China. You still seem unable to separate the two.
uziq
+492|3450
chinese students who come to the UK to study are extremely pro-china and not western at all in their outlook. they hang around in enclaves and take little interest in ‘becoming western’. i’m not even referring to that anyway. several of my friends have lived in china for extended periods.

what is your apocalyptic vision based on, pray tell?

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-23 09:19:33)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Historical data and analysis of Chinese news, culture, and history? What are you basing your knowledge on? An imaginary girlfriend?

uziq wrote:

i didn't know about the sino-indian war. thanks for the link.
I mean you literally didn't even know Chinese foreign relations and yet somehow I am the misinformed one.
uziq
+492|3450
i didn't know about one border conflict. yes i'll freely admit that. when did i mention chinese women i've dated? i'm talking about your tendency (and dilbert's) to refer to china as if it's a monolithic entity hell-bent on doing evil to the west. chinese people want mostly the same things your average western person wants. this great 'clash of civilizations' rhetoric is ridiculous.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Uzique wrote:

chinese people want mostly the same things your average western person wants.
Your average American wants to see China weak, poor, and defeated. If the average Chinese person and the average American aren't so different then the feeling is mutual.
uziq
+492|3450
do they really? i think the rest of the world is much less bellicose and bloodthirsty than your average american. they haven't all been raised with toy guns, violent media and nightly news flashes about their armed forces dropping MOABs on opium-addicts in the middle east.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
The Chinese government is literally telling their people that the United States related COVID into their country on purpose. Their government rightfully sees the U.S. as their only rival. The people there are told that this is their century and the only thing in their way is the United States. Meanwhile naive liberals argue #NotAllChinese while Wall Street people send western manufacturing overseas since they are too shortsighted to see that the Chinese don't care about their international finance order.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard