uziq
+492|3440
it must be tiring being so self-righteous about everything, even griping at your crisis-affected friends' timelines and totting up their 'fripperies' on your gridded pad. sad!

where have you been contemptuous? as far as i can see, the first thing the people ask for in the clip is a pledge for proper funding for the firefighting organisation. in another clip an exhausted firefighter, sat at a table, also refuses to shake the PM's hand. i've seen multiple fire chiefs express disbelief and criticism in the news here at how the australian defence forces weren't deployed as support sooner, and how the very suggestion was initially rubbished. again, issues of leadership, prioritisation, funding -- political choices. instead you immediately launch into a tirade about tax-spongers expecting the government to fund their 'taking drugs and living in teepees' lifestyle. why? because they're a lower socioeconomic status than you and wear band t-shirts?

you the man!
uziq
+492|3440
holidays? aren't they residents? are you just committed to misrepresenting everything about these people, just because you instinctually don't agree with their appearance? you are like a sullen teenager.
uziq
+492|3440
there probably isn't, but residents expressing dismay at a PM who has failed to show any leadership, only tried to massage and downplay the issue to suit his own agenda, and who has mostly shied away from public criticism ... shouldn't be greeted with a retort about their supposed tax-shirking, benefit-claiming, etc. it makes you look very silly.
Larssen
+99|1876

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well fires are a state issue and the ADF have no firefighting capability.
When an area larger than belgium goes up in flames surely you can't just state 'oh well nothing to do it's the state's responsibility'? This is the sort of exceptionally bad circumstance in which you'd expect a little more coordination at the federal level. Both in terms of firefighting and relief.

As for the people struck by the fires - from what I'm reading whole villages & ranches have been swallowed and evacuated. Those are in all likelihood tax paying citizens.

Furthermore it's a sad thing to spite people for their misfortune after a disaster happened. Do you feel the same way about those who live in coastal areas of Japan or the many thousands who live at the base of the Vesuvius? Chances are most of these people were born in thse places and lived there all their lives without anything ever happening. Moreover, if it's actually a place of concern it should be the government's job to spur people's relocation by prohibiting house construction & living in the designated area, as the Italian govt. is doing wrt the Vesuvius. Something tells me the climate change denialists you have in power never considered that...
uziq
+492|3440
dilbert has no time for irrationalities like 'home' or the inertia of 'generations'. he hopped in his mum's kangaroo sack and went to australia to live with his parents. see, relocating is easy! peons! he constantly teases jay over his reluctance to move all over the USA to wherever the property tax/salaries are preferential, too. i wonder how many times dilbert has relocated and moved in his life (if he has even moved out of his parents' house ...). no sympathy for these dumbies who 'choose' to live in the wrong area! dilbert made a fortuitous choice! it was highly rational, you see, he saw all of this coming.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-03 01:45:41)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX
I'm really tired of seeing people sit on their asses and let the world fall apart around them, then complain when a self-made disaster hits and demand the govt bail them out.

You can bet the areas which have gone up are grossly over-vegetated, the properties which have burned down were poorly built and poorly maintained. Thats what I see every time I switch on the TV.
This happens every year - residents are too lazy to clear their own property, then they get pissed when they're told to clean it up - so their own house doesn't burn down.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou … 332a931499

I've been all over the country, the level of preparation is woeful, if this is what it takes to bring back sensible land management then so be it.
More likely everyone will sit on their asses until its all regrown and we'll be back to square one in 5-10 years.

In the meantime we could hire every water bomber in the world and not have a hope of putting out belgium-sized fires once they've started.

Yes people shouldn't be building houses at the base of Vesuvius, how fucking stupid are they? Does the govt really have to step in and move them along?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-03 03:26:27)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3440
most of indonesia has buildings and populations clustered around volcanos. isn't it some of the most fertile ground for agriculture and production? i guess they should all move somewhere without risk of volcanic activity, somewhere nearby, like austra-...

i don't think people are asking the government to put out the fires? it's more to do with the horrendously poorly planned evacuations and infrastructural support, isn't it? no water, electricity, petrol, way out ... ? why weren't the military mobilised earlier for that? hey, what do i know (not much about the specifics, admittedly), but at least i'm not here blaming people for their 'poor lifestyle choices'.

the news here just showed a clip of a woman in the area from the previous handshake video, and she's spent lots of time clearing and protecting her property. apparently it's the scale of the fires rather than their indigence which is the problem. i guess it's easier to pretend they're all living in teepees, scratching their asses and taking drugs, though, rather than being responsible, ordinary citizens (who pay taxes and take ordinary precautions).

does it really not get tiring being so full of scorn and impatience with literally everyone, dilbert? nobody seems to win your sympathy or approval -- except yourself, and even then your views and attitudes twist and contort on a regular basis. it must be exhausting.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-03 03:44:50)

Larssen
+99|1876

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm really tired of seeing people sit on their asses and let the world fall apart around them, then complain when a self-made disaster hits and demand the govt bail them out.

You can bet the areas which have gone up are grossly over-vegetated, the properties which have burned down were poorly built and poorly maintained. Thats what I see every time I switch on the TV.
This happens every year - residents are too lazy to clear their own property, then they get pissed when they're told to clean it up - so their own house doesn't burn down.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou … 332a931499

I've been all over the country, the level of preparation is woeful, if this is what it takes to bring back sensible land management then so be it.
More likely everyone will sit on their asses until its all regrown and we'll be back to square one in 5-10 years.

In the meantime we could hire every water bomber in the world and not have a hope of putting out belgium-sized fires once they've started.

Yes people shouldn't be building houses at the base of Vesuvius, how fucking stupid are they? Does the govt really have to step in and move them along?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vesuvius#Future
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6725|Oxferd Ohire
According to some conservatives it's to be blamed on 200 arsonists who were arrested.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The correct answer is not enough water bombers.

Anyway, no-one on earth could have foreseen this.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/ … e/11848388
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

According to some conservatives it's to be blamed on 200 arsonists who were arrested.
The Trump-bots have been spreading that message, in fact its not really the case although many fires are started by nuts.

The correct-correct answer is fuel reduction. In the pic I posted there's dry grass knee-deep and fallen branches on the ground.
No amount of water bombers can stop that once it gets going.
And people wonder why it catches fire in the first place.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-09 17:22:02)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

Only about 1 per cent of the land burnt in NSW this bushfire season can be officially attributed to arson, and it is even less in Victoria, the ABC can reveal.

The world has been shocked by the scenes of devastation as the unprecedented destruction of Australia's horror bushfire season rages on.

The disaster has sparked significant media speculation that many of the blazes were deliberately lit.

While it is true firebugs remain a legitimate and serious threat, we crunched the numbers provided by police and fire authorities around the country.

NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Inspector Ben Shepherd said earlier this week lightning was predominantly responsible for the bushfire crisis.

"I can confidently say the majority of the larger fires that we have been dealing with have been a result of fires coming out of remote areas as a result of dry lightning storms," he said.

In Victoria, where about 1.2 million hectares has burned, only 385 hectares — or 0.03 per cent — have been attributed to suspicious circumstances.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/ … e/11855022

Seems like an argument for lightning poles in forests.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6611|Little Bentcock
We can't reduce all the fuel load, we've had a pretty good crack at it.

The fires have started their own weather systems and they won't be stopped until we get rain and milder weather.

When I was helping run the FSC fires a week ago PM popped an aircraft carrier off the coast and said "Here you go, use it" and I couldn't because he didn't tell anyone he was doing it. We eventually managed to get our hands on a troop of engineers and I put them to work clearing access to affected towns.

There is no simple fix to this problem. The windows for hazard reduction burns are getting smaller and smaller due to weather, not due to opposition, resourcing them is getting harder and harder, and there is only a small amount of us that are trained to efficiently and effectively mechanically reduce fuel while also not damaging the ecosystem. Quite frankly even if we trained every volunteer and paid staff of both fire services in NSW to conduct this work it still wouldn't be enough.

This may be the new norm.
uziq
+492|3440
the post this thread needed.

glad you’re safe.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The PM is an empty grin? Who knew?

This could be the new normal, its going to take radical action to adapt to it, there's still a lot which could be done - like people keeping their own properties clear and building fire resistant houses.

Also glad you're safe.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708

uziq wrote:

the post this thread needed.

glad you’re safe.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Derp

There is nothing left of the family home which was uninsured.

The families, who were uninsured, were the subject of an ABC story last week
They described the government support they had received since the fires as "a slap in the face"
They've been inundated with money, building materials, furniture and even a beach holiday

After reading the story, Melbourne man Benjamin Thomson started a Facebook campaign to raise $15,000 for Mr Bacon's family so they could build a kit home on their property.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-20/ … s/11880478

Bushfire experts say it's time to revisit Black Saturday recommendations and stop people rebuilding in highly dangerous areas/
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-20/ … s/11851884

About time people were prevented from building uninsured matchwood homes in flammable forests, then expecting the govt or someone else to bail them out.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/11870684-3x2-700x467.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-19 21:30:55)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6725|Oxferd Ohire
Glad to see some people have mullets and not as a joke
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People in forest areas have to have mullets to protect their necks from drop-bear attacks.
uziq
+492|3440
the classic ‘why don’t poor people just move’ line. is there any room at your parents’ house dilbert?
uziq
+492|3440
you continually mention that the people afflicted by fires are 'on drugs' or 'living in hammocks taking drugs'. are you a literal fucking tabloid sink or what?

the guy in the photo above has a baby ffs.

and yes, i agree, anyone with tattoos or piercings deserves to die in a fire or lose all their possessions.

you are an actual human pimple.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
He has long hair and a beard. What kind of job does he even have being groomed like that?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

such as drugs
ᵃˡᶜᵒʰᵒˡ ᶦˢ ᵃ ᵈʳᵘᵍ
uziq
+492|3440

SuperJail Warden wrote:

He has long hair and a beard. What kind of job does he even have being groomed like that?
two people were killed in the bushfires in that area. but dilbert will have you know that people live in Wytaliba out of poor life choices. they deserved it. in other news.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2019/09/16/TELEMMGLPICT000131886332_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqC9PogZUtSpqAqO-tnweStQt3tN9Ddv3cHZNIEmYP14g.jpeg?imwidth=450

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiKrDJdCaDN5K4daCTYPwpT4_xA21ojQq4YZ6v9Ehtr-Yl7ZWf&s

dilbert considers the above 'natural selection'. people in tower blocks in fact made bad investments, poor financial choices, had questionable haircuts and ethnic dress, and were probably all on drugs.

you really just can't even fathomless the tastelessness of the man. and all this and he's lived at home with his parents his whole life, despite making a full salary and being more than capable of moving somewhere in the same development. not for him, taking his own advice.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-20 09:33:08)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard