KuSTaV
noice
+947|6513|Gold Coast
Fingers crossed for the Liberals in '11.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Now if they did that and got rid of Abbot and put Joe Hockey as leader, then I'd be singing
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

KuSTaV wrote:

Fingers crossed for the Liberals in '11.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Now if they did that and got rid of Abbot and put Joe Hockey as leader, then I'd be singing
Not as they are now. If you want to put in a Republican style Govt, by all means vote for Abbott. He is a climate change denier, anti pro choice, happy to use immigration as a fear tactic ( just like Little Johnny did), has admitted that whatever he says may not be true.

Hockey is a politcial lightweight ( pardon the pun). Turnbull is the only saving Grace for their leadership, and he wasnt right wing enough for them, so I dont like what they have to offer.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Gillard almost certainly in (AWU, most Right factions despite her being Left). And with that I feel Labor's chances have improved immeasurably.

PS. Isn't this much more fun and exciting than American politics?

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-23 06:01:29)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

There's going to be very few female votes for Abbott.

"Keep your Rosaries off my Ovaries" I think was the old catch cry of the feministas. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
Leadership spill in the bag for tomorrow. Its official. This IS very exciting. I think Rudd will lose this one. The libs will be worried if that happens. Hate to say it, but like her or hate her, Gillard has more balls than Rudd!

spark wrote:

It sure is my friend... getting sick of the same old shit posts about US politics.

If she wins she will want to start off strong though, otherwise the libs will convince the public that its just same old labor in a different dress ( which realistically it probably is)
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Can't see any appeal in either party, Turnbull turned out to be OK after he left, the rest - meh.
I'll never vote for a Catholic, think it'll be vote Green and off to the pub.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland
If Rudd was still in I was voting green. If Gillard says the right things I may go back to labor. I will never vote for Abbott.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

Leadership spill in the bag for tomorrow. Its official. This IS very exciting. I think Rudd will lose this one. The libs will be worried if that happens. Hate to say it, but like her or hate her, Gillard has more balls than Rudd!

spark wrote:

It sure is my friend... getting sick of the same old shit posts about US politics.

If she wins she will want to start off strong though, otherwise the libs will convince the public that its just same old labor in a different dress ( which realistically it probably is)
It is, but if she doesn't come off as a douche as Rudd has been for the past month then there's no reason she can't get the popularity back - remember, for three years the "same old Labor" was the most popular opposition/government in history.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-23 06:16:51)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Gillard is very smart, good at gaining power by hiding her agenda - mark my words.
She stuffed up the BER scheme, no-one else - remember that too.

I wouldn't vote for Abbott or Hockey either, but its all going to come down to who promises to increase the baby bonus the most.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
My vote will eventually end up Liberal. And if I remember correctly Labor didn't even run a candidate in my electorate last election.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm more inclined to vote liberal, but the party sucks somewhat at present.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
best case scenario IMO: gillard in. tanner as treasurer/deputy.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-23 06:45:47)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Best case scenario:
China keeps buying our minerals.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6513|Gold Coast
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
This will be interesting. Gillard and Abbott have always been very good friends for many years. I read an article about it on the ABC news website a few months ago, I think they studied together even. They know each other's strengths and weaknesses and despite being at opposite sides of the political fence apparently remain good friends to this day.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Always some gems to be found in Hansard:

This Leader of the Opposition presents enormous risk to the Australian people because he thinks that economics is boring, he cannot count and he has demonstrated today that he has not one policy that he is prepared to put up.
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5196/100tq.jpg

From all the yanks here in the States we congratulate all you Australians on electing your new Prime Minister.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Harmor wrote:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5196/100tq.jpg

From all the yanks here in the States we congratulate all you Australians on electing your new Prime Minister.
Not sure if srs, so... she wasn't elected (at all, actually)
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
According to http://www.drudgereport.com/

https://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1087/captphoto12773384415648.jpg

Australia's First Female Prime Minister...

Is there something we should know?
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
System works differently here.

Basically the sitting PM - Rudd - who had, until a few months ago, been the most popular PM in history. However a few bad decisions - dropping the proposed cap-and-trade scheme was the big one - saw his popularity plummet to astonishing lows. Basically the Labor Party said "can't have this", and basically booted him out, within a few hours. Quick, ruthless, efficient. Deputy PM then took the job unopposed.

Good move though, Gillard looks intelligent, articulate and probably will be much, much better liked by the parliamentary stuff & business (whom Rudd notoriously tried to micromanage).

...but Lindsay Tanner (the most articulate and intelligent politician I have ever seen) would've been better, but unfortunately he's retiring. That also means the Greens will almost certainly win his seat as it was his superb performance alone that was keeping it safe.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-24 22:06:43)

~ Richard Feynman
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Well, she is a ginger and she looks like she has a tight *&*&^^.

They can be trouble.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6236|S.A. Australia

ATG wrote:

Well, she is a ginger and she looks like she has a tight *&*&^^.

They can be trouble.
Weren't you one of those complaining about stupid comments in D&ST?
Serious Flex
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
Well yes, but I actually have a scar on my left temple from a red head throwing an ashtray at me because I talked into giving me a  )#$% &*^ and then fell asleep.

But, I compliment her for the achievement...?

We aren't really affected by AU politics tbh. The only effect Australia has on the world is its gold production and...Mel Gibson movies???

I honestly think she is sexy.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Anyway... predictions, anyone?

I reckon Labor will lose quite a few seats.

Gut feeling - 75 Labor, 72 Coalition, 2 Independents, 1 Green.

Ms JULIE BISHOP (2.24 pm)—My question is to the Prime Minister. Given that the Prime Minister has confirmed today that the same ministers will be conducting the same negotiations with the mining industry for the same $12 billion outcome as before today’s unprecedented political assassination of the former Prime Minister, what policy change has occurred? Or is the change what many suspect—a new face but still same old Labor, same old tax?

Ms GILLARD—I thank the same old Deputy Leader of the Opposition for her question and wish her well as she serves her third leader...

---
Mr Pyne interjecting—

The SPEAKER—Order! Is the member for Sturt running his own little afternoon TV show here? I simply say to him that, 2½ years down the track, this is really getting tiring. He started off so well today, but he might just sit there and listen to  others rather than talk to himself.

Ms GILLARD—I do acknowledge that the member for Sturt is a performer in search of an audience but, whilst he continues that search...

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-24 22:25:21)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Christopher Pyne needs a sock to the jaw.

No idea what will happen in the election, however long it is until then is a long time in politics.
I just hope its sunny so I can sit outside at the pub.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard