Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Depends, running up huge debts and spending the money unproductively is also cuntish to the country.
we all seem to be obsessed with deficits since the financial crash, as if government spending was the cause of the economic disaster (this doesn't apply as directly to australia, i know, but the rhetoric is pernicious).

i'm so tired of peoples' hack opinions on economics, talking about national fiscal policy as if the government are running a household. domestic finances do not work the same way as national ones, especially vis-a-vis debt.
Who said it was the cause of the disaster? No-one.

Explain how running up so much debt that a nation can't even afford to pay the interest, let alone the debt, makes any sense.
And the point of taking on debt to spend unproductively.
Abbott government has doubled the deficit in twelve months whereas it took the Rudd/Gillard government six years.

Who is "running up so much debt" here then?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5512|London, England

uziq wrote:

it's like when people say how great the clinton era was for the economy... then you look at the figures... and you're like "wtf". this whole idea that your outgoing shouldn't exceed your incoming (tax and revenue) is utterly specious.
Stop reading The Economist.

The only people who benefit from racking up debt are bankers and bondholders. Short term debt to pay for immediate items? Sure, fine. Long term debt in order to fund the every day functions of government? Just about the worst thing you can do as a country.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3606

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

it's like when people say how great the clinton era was for the economy... then you look at the figures... and you're like "wtf". this whole idea that your outgoing shouldn't exceed your incoming (tax and revenue) is utterly specious.
Stop reading The Economist.

The only people who benefit from racking up debt are bankers and bondholders. Short term debt to pay for immediate items? Sure, fine. Long term debt in order to fund the every day functions of government? Just about the worst thing you can do as a country.
how many literature students do you think read the economist? it's a neoliberal mouthpiece for people whose aim in life is to get onto a graduate scheme in the city. puzzling reference from you, there. i'm not sure i'm part of the 'aspirational' demographic, let alone one to parrot its tame dogmas.

the economic theorist i am most sympathetic to on this matter of national debt (and the liquidity trap of austerity) is simon wren-lewis. doubt you've heard of him though because you don't actually read.

recent material for you:
http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ … ft-on.html

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-10 09:52:50)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3874
Is it possible that AUS, Europe, and the U.S. economy require completely different economic models in order for their societies to function? There is a difference in human cultures and we agree that different ways of government is better for different people. Why wouldn't different places need different economic models too. It seems pretty liberal and arrogant to think your system is the one that is the one true way to regulate your economy.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3525

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Is it possible that AUS, Europe, and the U.S. economy require completely different economic models in order for their societies to function? There is a difference in human cultures and we agree that different ways of government is better for different people. Why wouldn't different places need different economic models too. It seems pretty liberal and arrogant to think your system is the one that is the one true way to regulate your economy.
From what I know of macro economics after doing my Master of Public Policy degree, this is the belief of the dominant school of economists right now. Behavioral Economics at the macro level is a little less developed, but it basically holds the same thesis you have stated.

EDIT- has to do with the limited rationality thesis and the notion that rational capacity is altered by cultural values.

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2015-08-10 11:36:14)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6260|eXtreme to the maX
Most European economies have been running steadily for several hundred years or more without requiring massive debt or tax and spend government policies to get them going.

The American economy as we know it today has barely been going 50 years, its still very much in the experimental phase and many people would say is grossly unstable and doomed to fail. Being lectured by Americans that their way is the only way is risible.

Everything is going great, it can only get better from here.

https://images.rapgenius.com/e8f0d2f421fc7b003d89f2cb3b9f5759.1000x503x1.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-08-11 03:17:53)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,739|6891|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3606

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most European economies have been running steadily for several hundred years or more without requiring massive debt or tax and spend government policies to get them going.
no, they had extractionary/accumulative regimes of empire and conquest instead, or massive slave/indentured labour, or industrial workforces who lived in sordid conditions and were treated like a race of sub-humans, without rights or property, serving only a tiny minority elite. and if things got too bad, well, you could always enclose some more commons or set up a trading company in ceylon. yes, european economies worked marvellously for several hundred years... because they had no pretense of the modern 'state' as we conceive it (i.e. a client relationship where services are rendered for taxation), and the only major money they needed to raise was for war (or aristocratic follies).

you're a real history buff dilbert.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-11 09:59:35)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6863|England. Stoke

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

no, they had extractionary/accumulative regimes of empire and conquest instead, or massive slave/indentured labour, or industrial workforces who lived in sordid conditions and were treated like a race of sub-humans, without rights or property, serving only a tiny minority elite. and if things got too bad, well, you could always enclose some more commons or set up a trading company in ceylon. yes, european economies worked marvellously for several hundred years... because they had no pretense of the modern 'state' as we conceive it (i.e. a client relationship where services are rendered for taxation), and the only major money they needed to raise was for war (or aristocratic follies).

you're a real history buff dilbert.
South Sea Bubble.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

no, they had extractionary/accumulative regimes of empire and conquest instead, or massive slave/indentured labour, or industrial workforces who lived in sordid conditions and were treated like a race of sub-humans, without rights or property, serving only a tiny minority elite.
So did America, ravaging their own country and much of Asia and South America.

you're really buff dilbert.
uziq
+492|3606
that was the part where you were supposed to make a point, only you didn't. the relative 'security' of western economies from the late 17th to 19th centuries isn't really proof of sound fiscal planning, is it?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

uziq wrote:

that was the part where you were supposed to make a point, only you didn't. the relative 'security' of western economies from the late 17th to 19th centuries isn't really proof of sound fiscal planning, is it?
data gathering and analytics weren't quite advanced back then.

but nump, dilbert is going to ignore the fact that people were basically serfs back then and everyone worked on a farm.

yep that's the economic model we should follow.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

I did make a point, you've gone off at an irrelevant tangent, I didn't mention 'security' at all.

I recommend a little less time waxing your moustache and a bit more time trying to come up with a coherent argument which addresses the discussion.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Tony Abbott is like the Mr Bean of politics.

I haven't seen someone bumble around and get into so much shit in one week and somehow still have a job. I'm seeing comments on news sites from people who said they've voted LNP for 30 years or more and said they're not going to vote for him come next election. Surely his own party are going to boot him out well before then.

Last edited by Jaekus (2015-08-13 03:55:28)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870

Jaekus wrote:

Tony Abbott is like the Mr Bean of politics.

I haven't seen someone bumble around and get into so much shit in one week and somehow still have a job. I'm seeing comments on news sites from people who said they've voted LNP for 30 years or more and said they're not going to vote for him come next election. Surely his own party are going to boot him out well before then.
They talked about booting him for a while and he's still got the job.

Have you had a look at all the cabinet positions? all of them are sydney boys. Tony does great for his mates.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
They gave him six months and little has improved, this week is certainly indication of that. As I'm sure you saw, he told his frontbench to resign if they support marriage equality. Even some of his more conservative (ie. not moderates like Turnbull) MPs are worried they'll lose a job come election time.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6870
i think tones really wants to get fired. I mean he really does enjoy being in the opposition!
uziq
+492|3606

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

I did make a point, you've gone off at an irrelevant tangent, I didn't mention 'security' at all.

I recommend a little less time waxing your moustache and a bit more time trying to come up with a coherent argument which addresses the discussion.
"most economies have been running steadily for several hundred years" doesn't mean 'secure' or 'stable' growth? okay derp derp. still doesn't address my point that the nature of the state and economy have changed fundamentally since the age of empire. tax and public debt are structural necessities now. we're not all living in a fiefdom and paying fealty to some local official, or relying on the resources of the colonies and rapacious sea trade.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-13 04:24:07)

Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

i think tones really wants to get fired. I mean he really does enjoy being in the opposition!
He keeps behaving like he's in opposition. Job of a government is to, uh, govern, right? Instead he's spending his whole time playing politics, trying to get the opposition into trouble and defying his own party. There's no vision or leadership, just heaps of bizarre shit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

"most economies have been running steadily for several hundred years" doesn't mean 'secure' or 'stable' growth? okay derp derp. still doesn't address my point that the nature of the state and economy have changed fundamentally since the age of empire. tax and public debt are structural necessities now. we're not all living in a fiefdom and paying fealty to some local official, or relying on the resources of the colonies and rapacious sea trade.
Many European countries never had an empire, for some I'll bet their 'empires' were net drains on their economies, and no public debt is not a 'structural necessity'. It produces a lot of money for a small number of bankers, that is all.

And no, security and stability are two different things, these are English words, you should know this.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-08-13 05:43:27)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6863|England. Stoke

Dilbert_X wrote:

Many European countries never had an empire, for some I'll bet their 'empires' were net drains on their economies, and no public debt is not a 'structural necessity'. It produces a lot of money for a small number of bankers, that is all.

And no, security and stability are two different things, these are English words, you should know this.
When you say "many" you mean all the small states that were actually parts of, or protectorates of the main European states, because I can't really think any of any major European state that didn't have some form of an empire.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Public debt is actually a necessity. An economist provided a study on this based on historical data.

Governments aren't a business and shouldn't be run like one.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3874
Do you guys have people running for government over there solely on the basis that they had a career in business? We have a woman running for president now whose big claim to fame is that she has CEO experience of a company that she ran into the ground and fired her.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
You also had a president who got fired from a company or two, but his dad was prez before him and his cuz was governor so it was legit - apparently.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3874
Bush Jr. was governor of Texas. His father was president. His grandfather was a congressman. His brother Jeb was governor of Florida. Jeb is currently running for president.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard