Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

We're not talking about an unmanageable number here, there are only about 2,500 asylum seekers on Manus and Nauru and only 200 of them are kids. Add the ones on Christmas Island and you have 450. The only reason they are where they are is political, so the LNP can still use its "you will never come to Australia" line as a supposed linchpin in its "Stop The Boats" policy along with keeping the Australian public in the dark about what they're actually doing. The ALP goes along with it so when they get accused of being shit at refugee policy - as they were when they were in - they can claim they came up with it all in the first place.

Late last year Scott Morrison released all the kids in mainland detention to get his TPVs reintroduced, it wasn't a hard thing to do. He didn't extend that to offshore detention centres simply because that's where he's decided to draw the line. Australia still has the same duty of care to those people, it's just that it doesn't feel like giving it. Instead they'll come up with some convoluted scheme to send them to Cambodia of all fucking places. That's what I find disgraceful, having the ability to live up to your obligations but then flagrantly deciding to disregard it because it's not politically convenient. The fact that instead they're going with something that's more complicated and expensive with a worse outcome for all involved is just the idiocy on top.

As for refugees being perceived as causing trouble - it's a problem, yeah. The media's always going to go for that angle. I mean these two idiots who got arrested this week, they may have had the intention to do harm but they were hardly terrorist masterminds. "Oh I'll just dress up like an ISIS militant and go buy a machete, no-one will suspect a thing". Dumb. There are drunk people on a Friday night who are more capable of causing harm than that sort of person. Man Monis meanwhile was mentally ill, he certainly wasn't a terrorist sleeper cell let into the country under the Howard Government. But they were refugees! Arabic refugees! So we all get scared and xenophobic and develop the belief that any brown person who comes into the country could be a terrorist. Yet when some nutter stages an armed stand-off with police in Launceston no-one cares because it's just a regular Australian nutter, not a refugee nutter. Also because it's Launceston.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776
Labour would do the same Ty. The whole refugee issue is largely overblown. What I still don't get is why most of them still use people smugglers from indonesia to aus. I mean if you're really running away from a dangerous place, you'd go to the nearest country that will take you in.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6383|Graz, Austria
Ex-penal colonists making prison islands for immigrating refugees? Can one safely call that irony?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6165|eXtreme to the maX

Ty wrote:

Australia still has the same duty of care to those people, it's just that it doesn't feel like giving it. Instead they'll come up with some convoluted scheme to send them to Cambodia of all fucking places. That's what I find disgraceful, having the ability to live up to your obligations but then flagrantly deciding to disregard it because it's not politically convenient.
Actually in international law Australia has no duty of care at all, since generally speaking the people getting on boats to come to Australia have been through or bypassed multiple safe countries along the way. The only right they have is to apply to join the global refugee pool and see if there is a country which is prepared to take them. If its Cambodia, Greenland or Tibet then they can take it or leave it.

There are only about 2,500 people in detention, if the situation were easier there would be 100,000 in no time. Look at what happened when Labor opened the door a tiny chink (sorry Cybargs                       actually I'm not sorry).

There's little point in worrying about Launceston, but otherwise I'd say recent events, and the amount of organised crime in West Sydney, would suggest Australia should look pretty carefully at people before giving them asylum, and let economic migrants go through the normal system.

The living conditions, and educational conditions for the kids, in the detention centres should be better, that's about the only step I'd suggest taking.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5238|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't get the big fuss on detention for refugees.

You can't just let them in, you don't know who they are.

You can't just put them all into society, they might disappear, we don't know who they are.

So what else are you gonna do other than keep them at a facility while you process them? So what if they have kids, its not a free pass. If they are coming from wartorn countries like you say, don't you think the fact that they aren't getting bombed or shot at or kidnapped or on a leaky boat 6 inches from the water that could drown them any night is an improvement?
We were one of the signatories to the Refugee Convention of 1951, the one that was put in place post-WWII after the holocaust, to allow people to cross borders to flee persecution and death.

There is a process of screening for refugee status. Also, our intake of refugees worldwide is around 0.5% p/a, and yet it's one of our most politicised issues.

Cos I do. If this country was like syria and I was desperate enough to get on an old boat and sneak into a country as a refugee I'd be over the moon to be locked up in a facility that I have water and food and a roof over my head and medical supplies. I don't care if its cold porridge 3 times a day and my mattress is so thin I can feel the ground. I'm not getting shot at or beheaded.
People are being abused, intimidated and living in purposefully terrible conditions. Saying that "it's better than what they had" is a pretty shit argument to be honest. It's like telling a child who's being abused at home "it could be worse, you could be on the street, so be grateful".

Sorry if I expect a better standard from a first world country that prefers to spend twenty times what it would cost to simply screen for genuine refugees and then let them into the country to become productive members of society.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

We were one of the signatories to the Refugee Convention of 1951, the one that was put in place post-WWII after the holocaust, to allow people to cross borders to flee persecution and death.
Have you read it?

"The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence."
Skipping past multiple safe countries and burning their identity documents once they get to Australian territory does not meet it.

There is a process of screening for refugee status. Also, our intake of refugees worldwide is around 0.5% p/a, and yet it's one of our most politicised issues.
There is a process, it typically takes 10 years, that its swamped with economic migrants wanting to bypass the migration system and short-circuit the asylum doesn't help.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6682|Little Bentcock

Jaekus wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't get the big fuss on detention for refugees.

You can't just let them in, you don't know who they are.

You can't just put them all into society, they might disappear, we don't know who they are.

So what else are you gonna do other than keep them at a facility while you process them? So what if they have kids, its not a free pass. If they are coming from wartorn countries like you say, don't you think the fact that they aren't getting bombed or shot at or kidnapped or on a leaky boat 6 inches from the water that could drown them any night is an improvement?

Yes, but these people have come halfway across the world, they have skipped several countries on the way. I believe a legitimate refugee would stop at the first safe country they can, Australia means a better life for sure but I don't believe they get to be that picky. They go from being refugees to illegal immigrants.

It's one of our most politicised issues because we live in such an amazingly fortunate country that we have nothing to complain about apart from if Mr. Abbott, in an entire day of question time said an inappropriate word and then we focus on it for 3 days. We have nothing to talk about. Oh no our interest rates are low and our standard of living is on top of the world and it's sunny 300 days a year, lets find something to complain about.

Jaekus wrote:

There is a process of screening their status, and that is where they stay while it happens. Put them in the community and they may disappear.

Cos I do. If this country was like syria and I was desperate enough to get on an old boat and sneak into a country as a refugee I'd be over the moon to be locked up in a facility that I have water and food and a roof over my head and medical supplies. I don't care if its cold porridge 3 times a day and my mattress is so thin I can feel the ground. I'm not getting shot at or beheaded.
People are being abused, intimidated and living in purposefully terrible conditions. Saying that "it's better than what they had" is a pretty shit argument to be honest. It's like telling a child who's being abused at home "it could be worse, you could be on the street, so be grateful".

Sorry if I expect a better standard from a first world country that prefers to spend twenty times what it would cost to simply screen for genuine refugees and then let them into the country to become productive members of society.
No, its not a shit argument because you are sensationalising it. They don't live in shit conditions where they are abused and intimidated, that is where they come from. They live in a detention centre while they get screened. Not a 5 star hotel. A detention centre. Clean water, food, accomodation, bedding, medical facilities, and no go damn war. I'm sure its not pleasant, but the thing you seem to forget while staying safe and warm with a full belly, delicious wine and a comfy bed is just how bad some of these countries are that they have come from. And if they are truly fearing their lives to the point that the have to become refugees, where they are is a such a different world that its a blessing. They have a safe place to stay until they get through the screening process and either get in, or get sent back.

It's not pleasant, but then again it doesn't have to be. We are to provide them their necessities. I'd like to see good education in there.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776
Some refos get stuck in limbo like the Tamil terror duders who were considered "terrorists" back in sri lanka and here, but we can't send them back because they'd be killed for political reasons and we can't let them into aussieland because they're a threat to our community so they're stuck in limbo.

In reality the refugee issue is so tiny and our country makes a big deal about it on both sides of the political spectrum.

I wouldn't exactly call it people being abused by Aus gov staff Jaekus, we usually have a pretty good record of not hiring fuckwits. Do they have mental anguish and stress? You bet your ass if I came from a war torn shithole and got stuck in a detention center. Shit our centers sure beat the ones closer to them. There's a reason why we have to screen people Jaekus, otherwise you do open the floodgates for people from other countries with very little legitimacy. I do know a couple of Chinese people that got Refugee status because they "were" Falun Gong (they weren't).
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5238|Sydney
They don't live in shit conditions? It's been all over the news for a long time, especially recently.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ … 37xwd.html

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ … 3b10a.html

Good education? That's a fairytale. Proper sanitation isn't even happening, despite the money spent per refugee.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

The point is that the care provided simply isn't at a level that's acceptable for the treatment of human beings. It really doesn't matter that it's better than it could be or better than what the refugees escaped from. Australia is imprisoning these people, they should be provided reasonable conditions. Being housed in mouldy oppressively hot tents while being exposed to disease from poor facilities and subject to abuse is not reasonable. A wealthy first world country shouldn't be treating anyone like this no matter if they're refugees, criminals, or prisoners of war.

You know who the legal guardian of unaccompanied refugee minors is? Peter Dutton. He, and by extension Australia, has a duty of care to these people and he has them in circumstances where they suffering abuse and neglect. It's no different to the Department of Social Services moving a ward of the state to a carer who abuses them. It's pretty easy to see why "Oh well at least they have shelter and food - it could be worse" is an empty argument when you should be able to understand that these people aren't any less human just because they're refugees or "illegal arrivals" or anything else you want to call them.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776
It's a bit different Ty because once people get wind that their kids get better treatment than the rest and are more likely to be processed, you open the flood gates.

Idk not an expert in this area because I honestly think it's an overblown political issue that could been dealt better without the media spotlight and the gov trying to win bogan votes.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

Agreed on your second point, not on your first. Apparently if you treat anyone with a shred of humanity is leads to an opening of these mythical flood gates. There is nothing whatsoever to back this up. Refugees in camps were treated almost as poorly under Labor when boats were arriving every week.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

The living conditions, and educational conditions for the kids, in the detention centres should be better, that's about the only step I'd suggest taking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776
Too bad bogan voters go on about WHY ARENT WES HELPINGS OUR KIDZ BACK HOME MATE.
Jaekus
+957|5238|Sydney
Abbott is fucked. He had a 40% vote against him without a single contender.

Today one of my colleagues told me his personal customer (who is a federal LNP senator in QLD) said "this fucking PM is going down soon". There's a massive campaign against Abbott within his own government.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thank god the alternatives are so much better.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6682|Little Bentcock
I'd rather Abbott than Shortne. He has no substance. The only thing he is good at is calling out Libs. No suggestions on how he'd do it better.

He might put more women in the cabinet though!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Shorten is an utter fuckwit, they're all fuckwits to some degree, changing one fuckwit for another achieves nothing.
If they weren't all fuckwits they would have worked this out.
Jaekus
+957|5238|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

I'd rather Abbott than Shortne. He has no substance. The only thing he is good at is calling out Libs. No suggestions on how he'd do it better.

He might put more women in the cabinet though!
This is exactly what Abbott is and was all about when in opposition. The only difference being the more women thing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
Australia is producing a few amphibious assault ships with flat decks large enough to fit one of the 100 F35s the Australian airforce plan to buy from us.

How does the average Australian feel about that?  Most people support it over there? Has there been a lot of talk about increased security spending after the terrorist attack?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

What terrorist attack? Do you mean the Sydney siege?
[Blinking eyes thing]
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
Yes, that was a terrorist attack.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6834|Noizyland

Pretty loose definition of "terrorist".

I don't think there's a big appetite for a great deal of defence spending in Australia. Discussion on defence spending is more geared towards economics than actual security i.e. whether Australia going to be producing something or whether it is going to be purchased from overseas. I'd say people are ambivalent about the F35s. They're seen by the public as an expensive potential lemon but accepted to a certain degree as part of the process of making sure Australia's defence capabilities are kept up to date. With things like submarines and probably the assault ships I think it's only a matter of where they are produced that most people care about. In both cases though it's spending to retain current capabilities rather than ramping things up in response to a perceived increased threat.
[Blinking eyes thing]
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
The guy put up an ISIS flag.
"] Monis also demanded that a hostage ask all media to broadcast that "this is an attack on Australia by the Islamic State.

You people can't be that politically correct.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The guy put up an ISIS flag.
"] Monis also demanded that a hostage ask all media to broadcast that "this is an attack on Australia by the Islamic State.

You people can't be that politically correct.
No he didn't you mong. He was so shitty at being an "ISIS" terrorist he ASKED the police for an ISIS flag. He was more of a nutbag with A HISTORY of mental health issues. Was he inspired by ISIS? Sure, pretty funny for an Iranian Shia to cobble up to ISIS but in no way was he communicating with ISIS at all.

Ty: It was considered a terrorist attack by the government, well at least in insurance claims and honestly it is an act of terror due to what he actually wants.

mcbeth: I feel pretty good were buying LHDs, and no they're not going to be used to land our F35s since were not getting the B series. Those plans were made a long time ago. Our navy is also getting new AEGIS destroyers so yeah were getting major upgrades to our naval capabilities.

And no, no ones talking about an increased security spending, mostly stupid spy shit like meta-data and stripping people of citizenship it's a bit ridiculous at this point.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard