Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jaekus wrote:

I guess Jay's reasoning is all wages should be on par with what China pays its workers. Maybe then the US could bring back much of its own manufacturing industry it has lost to offshore production.
wages are just a small part of the manufacturing game. you could prop up factories in africa coz its cheaper, doesnt mean shit when you have to spend a ton of money bribing officials, pull security, build the roads, have local labour not fuck up your production. Jay has never worked in manufacturing in his life yet he's an expert because "lol hayek."

China is not cheap anymore to manufacture goods. cost of living is skyrocketing there. fuck you pay more for starbucks in china than in America. it's not cheap doing business there anymore unless you want to build a factory in the bumfuck middle of nowhere and have fun paying the tolls and dealing with chinese shipping companies.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5430|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I guess Jay's reasoning is all wages should be on par with what China pays its workers. Maybe then the US could bring back much of its own manufacturing industry it has lost to offshore production.
wages are just a small part of the manufacturing game. you could prop up factories in africa coz its cheaper, doesnt mean shit when you have to spend a ton of money bribing officials, pull security, build the roads, have local labour not fuck up your production. Jay has never worked in manufacturing in his life yet he's an expert because "lol hayek."

China is not cheap anymore to manufacture goods. cost of living is skyrocketing there. fuck you pay more for starbucks in china than in America. it's not cheap doing business there anymore unless you want to build a factory in the bumfuck middle of nowhere and have fun paying the tolls and dealing with chinese shipping companies.
Wages ebb and flow based on a number of factors. Living in an expensive place doesn't really make you wealthier. You end up with more people at, near or below the poverty line. Sure, if you make it up to the middle class you have a lot more disposable income to blow when you visit cheaper places, but getting there is harder and maintaining any sort of quality of life is more difficult. Yes, dropping $300 on an xbox is a lot less jarring for me than it is for someone who lives in the Southern US where the cost of living is halved, but the tradeoff is my taxes dwarf theirs by many orders of magnitude and I have to spend 3 hours a day commuting to work to have more than 5000 square feet of property for under a million dollars.

As for China, this is why manufacturing is now moving to India and Vietnam and Malaysia, and yes, back to the US too. The Chinese are good at manufacturing bulk commodity trash that gets thrown away. They are completely fucked in a world where their wages aren't rock bottom making said trash attractive due to pricing. Crash imminent.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6753|Disaster Free Zone

Jay wrote:

Yes, dropping $300 on an xbox is a lot less jarring for me than it is for someone who lives in the Southern US where the cost of living is halved
I think you have that backwards. If their costs of living is half yours, that means they have mush more disposable income, hence the $300 xbox is far less jarring to them.

but the tradeoff is my taxes dwarf theirs by many orders of magnitude and I have to spend 3 hours a day commuting to work to have more than 5000 square feet of property for under a million dollars.
What? The tradeoff is you (should be) are living in a more desirable location.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Wages ebb and flow based on a number of factors. Living in an expensive place doesn't really make you wealthier. You end up with more people at, near or below the poverty line. Sure, if you make it up to the middle class you have a lot more disposable income to blow when you visit cheaper places, but getting there is harder and maintaining any sort of quality of life is more difficult. Yes, dropping $300 on an xbox is a lot less jarring for me than it is for someone who lives in the Southern US where the cost of living is halved, but the tradeoff is my taxes dwarf theirs by many orders of magnitude and I have to spend 3 hours a day commuting to work to have more than 5000 square feet of property for under a million dollars.

As for China, this is why manufacturing is now moving to India and Vietnam and Malaysia, and yes, back to the US too. The Chinese are good at manufacturing bulk commodity trash that gets thrown away. They are completely fucked in a world where their wages aren't rock bottom making said trash attractive due to pricing. Crash imminent.
Tell me a place that you could live comfortably with any job you get. shit when i worked retail, i was paid 23 an hour + super. a full time salary would be around 800ish a week. live with 2 people in a 600 a week apt you got practically 500 a week of disposable income post rent. not to mention if i get sick or injured i'm not stuck with a 30k medical bill. and yes, retail stores still make a killing in sydney.

are housing prices here fucked? sure is. but it has more to do with market conditions considering the population growth of sydney and supply of housing. vacancy rate is something stupidly low like 1.9%
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5250|Sydney
"Trash" like smart phones and related technologies? Gosh!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Where are those products designed? Where are the factories that build them designed? Yes, the Chinese build trash.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5250|Sydney
We were talking about manufacturing (ie. car manufacturing closing down in Australia) and now you're shifting the goal posts and talking about product design? This is basic conversation a grade 8 could follow, please try to keep up.

Last edited by Jaekus (2014-02-19 05:39:38)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

We were talking about manufacturing (ie. car manufacturing closing down in Australia) and now you're shifting the goal posts and talking about product design? This is basic conversation a grade 8 could follow, please try to keep up.
I'm not shifting the goal posts. The reason you manufacture in China is for cheap labor. These are Western products designed by Westerners but built in China. Remove the cheap labor aspect and there's no reason to continue doing business there.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jaekus wrote:

must be our high labour costs that don't allow us to make smartphones jaekus.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Where are those products designed? Where are the factories that build them designed? Yes, the Chinese build trash.
You do realize a lot of the design work is done by foxconn right? theyre an OEM/ODM. same goes for a lot of factories in china, they design the shit themselves.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You do realize a lot of the design work is done by foxconn right? theyre an OEM/ODM. same goes for a lot of factories in china, they design the shit themselves.
Yeah ok
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6177|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I'm not shifting the goal posts. The reason you manufacture in China is for cheap labor. These are Western products designed by Westerners but built in China. Remove the cheap labor aspect and there's no reason to continue doing business there.
They also have the large advantage of free factories - pretty much anyone can turn a profit if they are given a multi-million interest-free loan by the govt.
Chinese industry has all the latest equipment for nothing - and we expect our industry to compete.

And its not just westerners designing the products by any stretch, not that it matters with China churning out 100k graduate engineers every year.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yeah ok
yeah because those metal edges on the iphone are so innovative. yeah because all those major tech companies are ran by white people right. top. lel.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Yeah ok
yeah because those metal edges on the iphone are so innovative. yeah because all those major tech companies are ran by white people right. top. lel.
Samsung and Sony never made anything, Asians are so stupid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yeah ok
I wasn't aware that China had conquered South Korea and Japan...
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

You keep talking about rock bottom wages yet manufacturing in Guangzhou and other provinces is slowing down because wages have reached the same level as Taiwan yet electricity are higher. so much for rock bottom wages. China is catching up in designing their own shit. Are they thieving bastards? Sure are but they can still design their own products. They just don't have the marketing capabilities and product recognition.

you know nothing john galt.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6694|Little Bentcock
Better than those slimy backstabbing polish motherfuckers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

So the Chinese have a monopoly on stupid in asia? They seem to be doing OK.
Jaekus
+957|5250|Sydney
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1925252_10152235015560873_1830596132_n.jpg
Adams_BJ
ciggy butt brain
Jaekus
+957|5250|Sydney
I don't know what everybody's so upset about. It's not like he signed it, made a huge banner of it and then was photographed in front of it.

Oh, wait...

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10151857_10151959279796150_5942528498975777428_n.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He didn't promise to build 12 Submarines or a fourth Air Warfare Destroyer either.

As long as pensions don't get cut and I retire five years later than the current retirees all will be well.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6846|Noizyland

And the winner of the 'worst gift ever given' award is presented to Nick Di Girolamo for a $3000 bottle of wine that just cost Barry O'Farrell his political career.

I didn't mind Bofa but that is an ass-brained way to end your career.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Adams_BJ
I don't get it, he accepted a gift
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6788

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't get it, he accepted a gift
he didnt register the gift or recalled he received it so it can be seen as bribery or something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard