Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6689|NT, like Mick Dundee

I want the attacks to continue.

Fuck the filter.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6199|Sydney | ♥

Titstorm!!
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS
i'm just waiting to see it start so i can see it crumple in a hilariously pathetic heap soon after.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5567|Toronto
This is a completely serious question, and I am 100% ignorant as to what the case may be in Australia.

Does Australia have to contend with illegal immigrants to any noteworthy degree? Obviously they would come either by plane (relatively easy to catch) or boat, but is your coast-guard a considerable expense for the government?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6130|eXtreme to the maX
Its not a major expense, even if they get here it mostly desert, even if they can find a town as an illegal its pretty hard to get by.
The majority come in on tourist visas and disappear, but its hard to last long.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS

Pochsy wrote:

This is a completely serious question, and I am 100% ignorant as to what the case may be in Australia.

Does Australia have to contend with illegal immigrants to any noteworthy degree? Obviously they would come either by plane (relatively easy to catch) or boat, but is your coast-guard a considerable expense for the government?
It's funny you should say that because asylum seekers have suddenly become a major topic again.

But it's not like we have an endless stream of immigrants across an open border - no, basically no one gets through the coastguard and doing so is very, very risky. Read: SIEV X, SIEV 36.

I would also point out our method of dealing with illegal immigrants is quite different to America's.

I wouldn't know about them coming by plane though... I imagine it would be pretty hard to get into most countries without the paperwork. I don't classify people whose visas have expired and gone 'under the radar' as illegal immigrants in the same way.

Last edited by Spark (2010-02-11 15:10:25)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.

My issue is our detention facilities are better than the outstations and such the govt maintains for the abos.

Fuck the 'asylum seekers', lets fix up places like Ski Beach, Rammo, Port Keats etc. Really gotta sort out the problem the aboriginal youth have with depression, suicide, abuse of petrol/kava/paint thinners/alcohol/bush weed and such. No idea how to do it, but somebody has gotta do something. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Also, I find it kinda funny they tend to travel through 7 or 8 other countries to petition Australia for political asylum. Wtf was wrong with the countries they just smuggled themselves through?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6705|Disaster Free Zone

Pochsy wrote:

We get quiet a few people who overstay their visas, A some try to get through airport security with false documents.
During 2007-08 424 people were refused immigration clearance on arrival at Australian airports, while 290 people were refused immigration clearance on arrival at Australian airports during 2006-07.... A total of 1598 people were refused immigration clearance on arrival at Australian airports during 2005-06, compared to 1632 in 2004-05.
Then we have 'boat people', the dominant feature in the news, with numbers varying from a few hundred to a few thousand trying to enter each year. Also the Australian coast guard is a volunteer marine rescue unit which has no law enforcement powers. To defend our borders from illegal immigration we use our navy.

Flecco wrote:

Also, I find it kinda funny they tend to travel through 7 or 8 other countries to petition Australia for political asylum. Wtf was wrong with the countries they just smuggled themselves through?
Why settle for ok, when you can have the best?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6247|Brisneyland
I thought this was worth showing here.

Atkinson thinks gamers are a bigger threat than bikies

ABC news wrote:

"About two o'clock in the morning I had a threatening note from a gamer shoved under my door," he said.

"I feel that my family and I are more at risk from gamers than we are from the outlaw motorcycle gangs who also hate me and are running a candidate against me.

"The outlaw motorcycle gangs haven't been hanging around my doorstep at 2:00 am, a gamer has."

Mr Atkinson holds a veto power on reviewing national classification laws and remains opposed to relaxing a ban on R-rated computer games.

"The reason that I think interactive games are different is that in interactive games the person playing is doing the actions and I therefore think it has a higher impact - impact has always been a consideration in censorship or classification, call it what you will," he told Good Game.

"I'm sure most people can distinguish the fantasy of a computer game from the reality, but it is the small number we know can't that leads to mass murder in American high schools and in Thailand ... led to a gamer playing out the fantasy of hijacking a taxi cab and murdering the driver. It happened," the Minister also told ABC Stateline in an interview back in 2008.
Gamers more dangerous than bikies. Dont see how, but I guess if one of them does something wrong, then we are all gamer scum. Cant wait till he hopefully loses his seat.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

I hope he gets hit in the head with a +1 mace.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6740

Burwhale wrote:

I thought this was worth showing here.

Atkinson thinks gamers are a bigger threat than bikies

ABC news wrote:

"About two o'clock in the morning I had a threatening note from a gamer shoved under my door," he said.

"I feel that my family and I are more at risk from gamers than we are from the outlaw motorcycle gangs who also hate me and are running a candidate against me.

"The outlaw motorcycle gangs haven't been hanging around my doorstep at 2:00 am, a gamer has."

Mr Atkinson holds a veto power on reviewing national classification laws and remains opposed to relaxing a ban on R-rated computer games.

"The reason that I think interactive games are different is that in interactive games the person playing is doing the actions and I therefore think it has a higher impact - impact has always been a consideration in censorship or classification, call it what you will," he told Good Game.

"I'm sure most people can distinguish the fantasy of a computer game from the reality, but it is the small number we know can't that leads to mass murder in American high schools and in Thailand ... led to a gamer playing out the fantasy of hijacking a taxi cab and murdering the driver. It happened," the Minister also told ABC Stateline in an interview back in 2008.
Gamers more dangerous than bikies. Dont see how, but I guess if one of them does something wrong, then we are all gamer scum. Cant wait till he hopefully loses his seat.
https://dailyshot.johnq.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/retrogamershirts_link1.jpg

Badass motherfucker
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6130|eXtreme to the maX
Hmmm, people killed by gamers this year?

No more pics of usmarine plz.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

So it looks like a Bill of Rights is dead in the water.

Reason: the politicians don't want their control of power shifted to the judicial system.
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS
i saw an aus govt page that basically listed all the pros/cons of a BoR, will find it later

---

did anyone see? tony abbott almost got mowed down by a van.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS
btw

q&a 9:30 next monday - turnbull is back. don't miss it, k?
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

Did you watch the last Q&A with Rudd?
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Did you watch the last Q&A with Rudd?
you mean the one two weeks ago?

i watched about twenty minutes, then left because i suspect had i watched any more i would have shot myself.

why is my own generation so irredeemably stupid

why

lol typos

Last edited by Spark (2010-02-17 02:52:53)

~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Spark wrote:

i saw an aus govt page that basically listed all the pros/cons of a BoR, will find it later

---

did anyone see? tony abbott almost got mowed down by a van.
Bro, wasn't a van, was a Prime Mover.

Seemed to have quite a bit of pace up too. Trailer looked empty the way it was behaving.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6792

AussieReaper wrote:

Reason: the politicians don't want their control of power shifted to the judicial system.
I don't see any need for a change.

Politicians are elected by the public, the judicial system is not.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6177|what

BN wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Because with a Bill of Rights protecting the freedoms of Australians, it would  allow courts to send back laws for redrafting if it found they had breached human rights in areas like mandatory detention, over zealous counter-terrorism laws and in extraordinary measures such as the Northern Territory intervention.

It's another level of accountability which at the moment is lacking here.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6792

AussieReaper wrote:

BN wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Because with a Bill of Rights protecting the freedoms of Australians, it would  allow courts to send back laws for redrafting if it found they had breached human rights in areas like mandatory detention, over zealous counter-terrorism laws and in extraordinary measures such as the Northern Territory intervention.

It's another level of accountability which at the moment is lacking here.
I agree with accountability and do believe our sedition laws are totally crazy.

Can't laws be challenged now in the High Court?
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS
Best (worst?) headline ever.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 … 823892.htm

China drama over Obama-Lama talks
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6247|Brisneyland
Actually I did see that (and lolled). The only other one close to being that bad was in a recent copy of mX ( a free news corp rag) that said "Willy hardens for North Queensland", which was a story about the chances of Willy Mason being recruited by a North Queensland Football team.
Spark
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS

Burwhale wrote:

Actually I did see that (and lolled). The only other one close to being that bad was in a recent copy of mX ( a free news corp rag) that said "Willy hardens for North Queensland", which was a story about the chances of Willy Mason being recruited by a North Queensland Football team.
yeah but abc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mX in terms of journalistic quality... well, quality in general
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6247|Brisneyland
Theres no comparison of course. I just thought it was a laugh. I actually like seeing journalists taking the piss occasionally, a lot of the stories are pretty dull, depressing, so its good to get the occasional lol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard